Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2002, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I put out about 3,000 flyers so far this year and I got about 4 jobs from them. I get a better return on putting up the pull tab type flyers in supermarkets and convenience stores. Of course the referrals are the best because you already have an "In"... I figure that if I get 1 job out of every 1,000 flyers I put out that it covers my cost of flyers and bags. Then if I get any more than that it helps my profit margin.
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 09-07-2002, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put 2000 flyers (by hand) out every season (spring and fall). I will normally get 50 to 75 calls on them. I will return every call, and set an appointment for as soon as I can manage it. I will sell 9 out 10 calls. This is the only way I advertize other than referrals. I have been doing that for 6 years now.

Oh, and by the way, pull type flyers? These are what teenaged girls around here use for getting babysitting jobs.

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 09-07-2002, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I see a lot of different people advertising with the pull tab flyers, and judging by the number of companies in all different types of businesses that use them they must really work. I use a full color page with 10 pull tabs on the bottom that are perforated (sp?) and come off looking just like a business card. At the price of multi-color flyers I will take a 10:1 ratio customers to flyers anyday...
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 09-07-2002, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If done right, 200 good flyers will work better than 2000 average ones.
Can you share some creative that can demo this?? I can believe this with target mailing to qualified leads. But with general door hangers, you are saying that you can pull 10 to 1 with a "good flyer" over an "average" flier.

Kitzy.. If you can, post the creative. Maybe we can offer some suggestions for the next 200..

Hoss brings up a good point..folks around here are just getting settled with school, etc. and lawns do not appear to be at the top of the list.

I am going to wait a week or so to start going after aerations, to let the dust (pun intended around here) to settle.

Good Luck!!

jeff
Old 09-07-2002, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kitzy, if you give me an email, I'll send you an example of flyers I've used in the past.

Old 09-07-2002, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So basically you littered on someones private property with that method of advertising. I don't care who it works for, it's cheesy! You want to get all the work without doing any work or spending money. Start thinking about doing some respectable advertising and you'll get work. I commend you that you say your doorhangers are nice, but everyone out there does doorhangers. There are other approaches and methods to marketing yourself and your business, be creative. Advertising is expensive but that's just a part of business. Good advertising will get results. The biggest key to advertising is repetition and recognition. People need to see your company name more than once, more than twice, and become familiar with it. They need to see it in a variety of places also so that it becomes a mainstay in their mind. Getting the calls are the hardest part, selling the work thereafter should be somewhat easier if you are prepared and know what the market will bare. Present yourself and product in a professional manner. Just like good quality equipment that we all say to spend our money on first time around, because it will last and perform better work, you need to spend money on advertising and you will see a return. I know it's hard to spend what you don't have, but you should budget money for advertising just as you do for equipment. We at times get too caught up in the excitement of new equipment purchases and put advertising on the back burner because it's not fun or cool to do or have like new equipment(toys for boys). Good luck with it!

Last edited by Randy Scott; 09-07-2002 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But toys are so much fun dad....

Old 09-07-2002, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just delivered 800 flyers in the mailboxes(its not illegal here)around this suburb.2 jobs so far,1-2 jobs per 1000 seems to be the magic figure for flyers.While putting them in mailboxes is Ok here we dont put them in boxes that have a sign saying No Flyers.Its interesting to note that these houses always semm to have the lawns in most need of a lawn guy.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

big Jim
Your lucky, they don't enforce it there. A mail box belongs to the federal government and it is against the law anywhere to put something in it that has not gone through the post office. It is illegal anywhere and is not a local offense. one postman having a bad day can put you in serious trouble. I would sugest you look this up. Hate to see you in trouble.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 09-08-2002, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Big Jim,
My appoligies, just realized you are not in the US. I'm sure you know the rules there. I should look closer before I reply to posts. I would hate to see anyone get in trouble.

Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes