Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As this is the way I normaly advertize, I have some experience.

It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to tamper with a mailbox in any way, and this includes putting flyers in it or ON IT,(like stuck between the box and the flag). The feds OWN that mailbox.

Having said that, the homeowner owns the post that the box sits on. So it is perfectly legal to stick a flyer to that post, right under the door to the box, with a tack or staple. The postmaster in almost every area i've gone has called to cry at me everytime I have done this, because some cranky postman has complained to him. He always starts out strong by telling me to stop and the penelties involved, but when I explain where I am attaching the flyers, he always says to have a nice day then.

On that note, paper boxes are not owned by the goverment, but by paper companies. If there is a box there I will always put it in there. I have never had one paper call to tell me to quit it. And if they do, there are no federal offenses involved here. Most people think the flyer came with the paper. LOL

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 09-08-2002, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh dam! New Zealand

Old 09-08-2002, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I quit doing the mailbox-post flyer thing after I began noticing that at nearly all of my residential accounts the flyers were in the lawn, ditch, or street!.

I don't know if the clients or the mail delivery person is tossing them...or if the wind is the culprit. It could even be neighborhood kids snatching them off for all I know.

And sometimes they die a slow death...from just hanging there limply, getting beat up by the elements. Then they fall off...at which time it is my duty to dispose of them...along with the empty soda/beer cans, cigarette packages, candy wrappers, and ocassional pair of panties (...if only panties could talk...).

The bottom line is: Most flyers at my accounts just wind up wet, tattered,...and in my trash bag.

There was a driveway sealing outfit that plastered the area a few weeks back...and I know of 40 residents that did not even read their flyer. They were either lying on the lawn, street, or ditch.....in the rain!

Oh well, I guess its true,.... you get what you pay for!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Flyers

Here are my thoughts.

1. You need to do more volume.
2. Repeated flyers to same address
3. Mail them instead of dropping off
4. You can by a cross reference directory to follow up by phone.
5. Cut down to one page, clean simple ideas.
6. You need a USP. Unique Selling Point
7. Give a coupon for a dicounted %, not a flat $ off.

Hope this helps.
:blob3:

Old 09-08-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your county courthouse or recorder of deeds office and find the recent real estate sales. These are the people that will be your best concentrated targets. They probably have not even thought of lawn care to this point or may be looking after doing the lawn all summer.

Mail to these addresses. You will have their name so make it a little more personal. Follow up again in the spring. Name recognition.
You also may get a couple of calls from your first ad effort but the target audience is the key for a small ad budget. Good Luck.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 65hoss
Timing! You may be surprised how many people will keep your flyer and call later on. Many people don't call until they need you.
Exactly.

Also "cold calling" NEVER got me any jobs. I found out I was better off, with less stress by letting the people come to me thru YELLOW PAGE advertizing. Or what ever print advertizing I was using at the time.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 65hoss
Timing! You may be surprised how many people will keep your flyer and call later on. Many people don't call until they need you. As far as the number, only 200 out isn't very good odds. You need a few thousand at a minimum.
this is so true.we had a little old lady keep ours for a year when she called us she presented the coupon we had on it, she said is this still good? i said sure. (no experation date)
Old 09-08-2002, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

People are funny like that. I too have had people keep thses things forever. I think the oldest one was almost two years old. The customer said he found it under a pile of **** on his desk when he was cleaning.

Turned out the man needed 5 or 6 grand worth of work done....

Old 09-09-2002, 05:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for all your points of view...and for the 'headslap' on my 'tacky' flyer distribution...but you're right...littering is not a way to make a good first impression...by the way, I got 4 calls this past weekend from this small handout of a few weeks ago...2 landscape installs 2 lawn renovations...small to medium sized jobs...just what I was looking for...again you guys were right about people holding onto your biz card....one person told me they were glad to get the flyer because they had called 2 other service providers a month ago and they did not return the call..I find that strange since its not like we all have been so busy we cant return a call...oh well...while customers can be a real challenge sometimes I gotta say that I get more amazed at how some of us in this business stay in biz given the pizz poor way we handle prospective clients...thanks again guys for your not so shy help
Old 10-06-2002, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Around here the baggie with the rock and paper in it approach is considered pretty amateurish. I for one just toss the flyers I get for house cleaners and such in the trash and would never hire someone who advertised that way. I would suggest targeting the people in neighborhoods you already service via direct mail. You gotta spend a little to make more money.