Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions needed on skid steer

Ok, here's the deal. I had a backhoe that I bought to go into biz with a couple years back and that never worked out, but I have become very accustom to having a machine at my disposal. I just sold the machine.

So here is my question. I have some cash to be able to buy another machine and I am thinking a skid steer would be my best bet. What I need it for is for knocking down small trees, moving dirt and some leveling. Since, I have the cash I want to purchase a machine, use it for a couple of years then, after I complete my home, sell it.

I have found a couple of machines in the 10k area which is about what I want to pay. I found a 2003 Gehl 5635 with 1200 hours and a 2007 Bobcat S130 with 2100 hours. Both appear in good shape, although I haven't drove either yet. Which of these machines would be the best for light/medium duty work and offer me the best resale in 2-3 years with a couple hundred more hours? I want a machine I can use as needed and be the least amount of trouble for me. (ie maintenance/repairs)

To throw a loop in the question, since I only have a few acres, would any one suggest skipping a skid steer and buying a tractor. I think a tractor would be nice, but moving dirt would be way easier with the skid.

Thanks for any and all opinions on this.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I work in the same terrain as you do. I would be frustrated "knocking" down trees with an s130. That's one of the smallest skids out there.

A friend of mine picked up a good, used 863 2002 model for 10k cash. Guy was desperate, from Austin and the deal was made. 863 is a good machine at 74 hp it is plenty for cedar and knocking down oaks if you go that route.

Personally, in the hill country, a heavy machine will make you more money if you are working with cedar or large live oaks. I would look in the s250, s300, s330 class in the Bobcat lineup. You will pay a lot more but there is a night and day difference from those machines to an s130. If you are coming off a backhoe, then you will be disappointed in a light skidsteer, ie, under 66 hp. That's my .02. I wouldn't even put a tractor in the same category as a medium/large skid steer. Maybe an s130 but I still think the Bobcat will outdig any tractor.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hijack this thread guys, but cut me a bit of slack and I'll go finish my beer.......Go Packers!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks yellow dog.

That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted some outside input. I had a 252b and it worked great. I kind of think the same thing, a decent skid will knock over all the cedars I need to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread guys, but cut me a bit of slack and I'll go finish my beer.......Go Packers!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
cheesehead!

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislakerat View Post
Thanks yellow dog.

That's kind of what I was thinking but wanted some outside input. I had a 252b and it worked great. I kind of think the same thing, a decent skid will knock over all the cedars I need to.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't speak of a 252b but I have used a 268B, 256C, and owned a 272c CAT.

I still think the Bobcat s250-s300 and especially the s330 will knock cedars down a lot more effectively. You have more weight and power though the 272c is about the weight of an s300 with a little more power and slightly more torque.

You will be hard pressed to find an s300-s3300, 256c or 272c in your price range. Unless you come across a steal, you 10k won't go far. If you can find a deal like my buddy, a Bobcat 863 is 7400lb machine with 74 hp. It can handle most cedars in the hill country and will dig with the best of them. Expect 12-15k for a good one. Reliable Deutz engine, turbo, and a 72" wheelbase. It's a sturdy machine. Look for an F or especially a G series machine with less than 2000 hours.

If you can afford more and want a machine that will do it all an s300 or s330 can lift and carry more than most and have plenty of pushing and digging power. I put my 272c side by side with my s300 and there was not much difference other than throttle response. My s330 outpushed my 272c by a long shot in our hard caliche and especially in stability carrying or pushing brush piles.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I found a s250, but it has 5400 hours which seems excessive to me. Whats your thoughts on that? I would love a s250 or s 300, but I think they are out of my price range. I would like to stay close to the 10k, because it's mostly going to sit and wait on me, not be worked to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislakerat View Post
I found a s250, but it has 5400 hours which seems excessive to me. Whats your thoughts on that? I would love a s250 or s 300, but I think they are out of my price range. I would like to stay close to the 10k, because it's mostly going to sit and wait on me, not be worked to much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep looking. The 863 I told you about came from Austin less than 2 years ago and was 10k cash and 1900 hours or so. It didn't need work until recently and the repair was not a big deal. It was a G series machine so there are deals out there.

I am very informed on much other than Bobcat and the new Cats. S250 will do everything and s300 just gets a little more fuel and has an extra counterweight. No difference. Same motor. Some of the earliest s250's had the 863 and 873 duetz engine but those are rare.

I think anything smaller than an 863 in the hill country will be frustrating pushing trees over with.

I even tried an s185 and it wasn't much better than the 763 in weight and slightly more power. Big difference in the large frame machines when it comes to a 1500 lb cedar tree.

Good luck. Are you checking Craigslist in San Antonio too?

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
cheesehead!
I can't help it!!!! Your warm state will soon be invaded by brat and curd eating, beer swilling, snowmobile loving, Packer backing cheeseheads....and it will never be the same again
Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

skid steer prices in general have gone up even since a year ago.

Just my opinion, but sounds like you don't have a lot of acreage to clear. I've done just about anything I've wanted to do on a farm with a skid in the low to mid fifties hp wise. A machine in the 1700 to 1900# ROC range will do just fine...over the tire tracks are inexpensive to come by lightly used or new (good ones for under a grand).

Resale is another issue....I can't speak for what brings a good price in your neck of the woods, but in most parts common brand machines in the 10 grand range are relatively easy to sell (compared to twice that amount) if taken care of and operate without issues. Do your homework and check it out *thoroughly* before you transfer payment. Don't be bashful....operate it as much as you can where you go to inspect it.

Gehls are sleeper machines...the ones I'm familiar with have had very low maintenance costs and are still running well in the 5k hour range. Resale is usually much lower than Bobcat or Cat.

There are a handful of great concise articles floating around the web on how to check out a skid before you buy if you are not familiar with them.