Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I can't help it!!!! Your warm state will soon be invaded by brat and curd eating, beer swilling, snowmobile loving, Packer backing cheeseheads....and it will never be the same again
I'm sorry. We are closed until May 1st.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big chassis sslders don't hold the resale value mid sized chassis units do for the same year/hours on them. $10K is on the problem child high hour side of the fence on these things. $10K can very easily wind up costing you way more then that in the long run if you end up with, say, a hydraulic repair.

Try to spend a little more ~15K range and a unit around ~1,500 hours on it.
Look at the mechanical side of the unit, not stare at the conditions of the tires or the seat. Those are the cheap things to replace. If you have time and are weary of a unit you find, take engine/hydro oil samples and have them sent out for testing. Cheap insurance. If the unit has trouble starting cold and still has trouble after giving it a blast of either = tired engine.

Drive the unit and compare left to right drive motor feedback through the levers. One feels off or weak or makes noise = issues. Check for boom cracks / rewelded and loose pivot pins. Loose or wore out pivot pins will let you know how the machine was maintained - greased etc etc.

General appearance - is the chassis bent or beat to crap. Weathered, Worn, scratched, or faded paint no real big deal tho, they do set outside all the time.

Look for hydro or engine leaks = big leak could lead to $$$

I don't see any Gehls around here but I do know they have horrible ground clearance compared to most.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's still possible to find a GOOD, well taken care of, mid-sized tire machine in the 500 to 2500 hour range in my area (within 4 to 6 hours driving distance of central MD) for 10 to 12k.

Most of the challenge is in how a person searches.

Look for package deals like Ron is selling right now. Machine/trailer/attachments. Even if you can't utilize everything they are selling...buy it all if possible and piece out what you don't want. Gets the bottom line price down in a hurry.

Gehl has similar height clearances as CAT or Case....might be on the lower spectrum, but still not an issue to turn the brand down, IMO. Every machine has it's positives and negatives.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

So I looked at a Gehl 4635 with a lift of 1900 lbs today. It has 1200 hours and can be bought for 10500. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I drove it and everything felt good. Paint was faded, but the machine looked very straight with no abuse signs. A bolt that holds the bucket disconnect was broke off and needed to be drilled out and replaced, other than that it was fine.

2003 mid-sized machine seemed priced good, any thoughts on this one?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislakerat View Post
So I looked at a Gehl 4635 with a lift of 1900 lbs today. It has 1200 hours and can be bought for 10500. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I drove it and everything felt good. Paint was faded, but the machine looked very straight with no abuse signs. A bolt that holds the bucket disconnect was broke off and needed to be drilled out and replaced, other than that it was fine.

Check out what kind of quick attach setup is on the machine.
Some off the 4635 Gehl machines have the older pin grabbing setup instead of the standard quicktach for buckets etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

If it's the 4635 series it's barely a 1500# ROC. Do-able, but on the light side. I'd look for at least a 4835 series.

The gehl's quick disconnect system seems to eventually hang up and sheer the bolts (grease gets thick and old)...I've repaired quite a few of them. If it's a 2003 (verify w/ the serial number!!!) it should have the latest style disconnect.

The price is on the high side (not unfair though) for what I've seen out there on the 4635 series.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
If it's the 4635 series it's barely a 1500# ROC. Do-able, but on the light side. I'd look for at least a 4835 series.

The gehl's quick disconnect system seems to eventually hang up and sheer the bolts (grease gets thick and old)...I've repaired quite a few of them. If it's a 2003 (verify w/ the serial number!!!) it should have the latest style disconnect.

The price is on the high side (not unfair though) for what I've seen out there on the 4635 series.
Sorry, it was a 5635. Does that change the opinion?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry, it was a 5635. Does that change the opinion?
That's what my retiring excavator friend has. He's well into the 5k range hour-wise with it. Has done just about everything you can imagine with it and a set of loegering steel tracks.

Take the air filters out and swipe the intake boot to see if you get any dust on your finger. If so, beware!

Yellow paint easily oxidizes...you can bring it back by pressure washing the paint really well, then spray/wipe hydraulic fluid or motor oil...let it sit overnight, then take a little elbow grease to it the next day.

Here's a CAT that was badly oxidized and brought back to life:

Last edited by swanny; 01-25-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Gehl has similar height clearances as CAT or Case....might be on the lower spectrum, but still not an issue to turn the brand down, IMO. Every machine has it's positives and negatives.
Depends where you measure it. I think its the chain case housings that are real low to the ground if memory serve me right. It may not seem like a big deal, until he's stuck in the mud with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My mason buddy uses a Gehl for his business (don't know what size), easily moves 2 pallets block. It seems also in my area a lot of construction companies run New Holland's something also to look for, I've seen some older NH's that go for cheap on Craigslist.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics