Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
South Florida Lawns's Avatar
South Florida Lawns South Florida Lawns is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,777
Can't believe it.

So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
freshprince94's Avatar
freshprince94 freshprince94 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!
From my experience, quality and referrals are the only ways to pick up clients here. Advertising is hit or miss, may pick up a few customers, but the best and easiest way to pick up a customer is the referral. Especially from the upper middle class folks who all talk to eachother. Most of my customers are either picked up off referrals, or because the neighbor of a current client saw me and liked my work.
__________________
Ford Trucks-Gravely Mowers-Stihl Handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
h2oskier h2oskier is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Angelo Tx.
Posts: 602
Trailer won't do much good lettered up if it sits in your driveway all winter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!
Honestly I have always had a sign that this is very bold in color and draws ones attention. Takes up the entire width and height of my gate. I get maybe 2 calls a year off of it that actually produce a client that i want. That is why I have never bought into the 1-800-mowmylawn etc.

As Fresh Prince said - most of mine come from referrals or neighbors of those I work at. Advertising with door hangers works but of course requires a lot of time to spread through a whole neighborhood.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,228
"I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!"

Tried that last year without much success, word of mouth accounts for at least 90% of my new customers these days.
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
M.M.A. Mowing's Avatar
M.M.A. Mowing M.M.A. Mowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 105
My trailers graphics have gotten me at least 5 accounts last year. whether it be from my phone # being so big or just from looking more professional than the other guy. My yard sign never gave me one call.
__________________
2012 Dodge Ram Sport 4X4 Hemi Bully Dog Tuner, Intake, and Exhaust
7X14 Load runner
2013 Scag V-Ride 52''
2011 Scag V-Ride 36"
2 Stihl FS110R Trimmers
Stihl BG-600 Magnum Blower
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer 24"
A beautiful wife that puts up with my crap
And a great little girl who want to mow grass like her poppa.


www.mmamowing.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
South Florida Lawns's Avatar
South Florida Lawns South Florida Lawns is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,777
I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
sedge's Avatar
sedge sedge is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 25,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.
Money well spent, even if you haven't gotten any calls because of it. It makes you much more, well "legit" oh, and professional looking. Good for you say. Can't go wrong with putting your name in front of people and keeping it there.
__________________
.




.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
williams lcm williams lcm is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 802
I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
sedge's Avatar
sedge sedge is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 25,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.
hmmm, what to do, what to do, hmmm. Oh yeah, put your starting price on your trailer.
__________________
.




.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.10406 seconds with 7 queries