Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Can't believe it.

So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!
From my experience, quality and referrals are the only ways to pick up clients here. Advertising is hit or miss, may pick up a few customers, but the best and easiest way to pick up a customer is the referral. Especially from the upper middle class folks who all talk to eachother. Most of my customers are either picked up off referrals, or because the neighbor of a current client saw me and liked my work.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer won't do much good lettered up if it sits in your driveway all winter.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Honestly I have always had a sign that this is very bold in color and draws ones attention. Takes up the entire width and height of my gate. I get maybe 2 calls a year off of it that actually produce a client that i want. That is why I have never bought into the 1-800-mowmylawn etc.

As Fresh Prince said - most of mine come from referrals or neighbors of those I work at. Advertising with door hangers works but of course requires a lot of time to spread through a whole neighborhood.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!"

Tried that last year without much success, word of mouth accounts for at least 90% of my new customers these days.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

My trailers graphics have gotten me at least 5 accounts last year. whether it be from my phone # being so big or just from looking more professional than the other guy. My yard sign never gave me one call.
2011 Scag V-Ride 36"
2 Stihl FS110R Trimmers
Stihl BG-600 Magnum Blower
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer 24"
A beautiful wife that puts up with my crap
And a great little girl who want to mow grass like her poppa.

www.mmamowing.com
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.
Money well spent, even if you haven't gotten any calls because of it. It makes you much more, well "legit" oh, and professional looking. Good for you say. Can't go wrong with putting your name in front of people and keeping it there.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.
hmmm, what to do, what to do, hmmm. Oh yeah, put your starting price on your trailer.