Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fertilizer bans

This past year I have seen a lot of yellowing lawns due to the ban. Hell i cant even buy anything off the shelf for my own lawn anymore. I notified my customers last year to increase their watering cycles . What are your guys thoughts on this? I may get into topdressing this spring.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
This past year I have seen a lot of yellowing lawns due to the ban. Hell i cant even buy anything off the shelf for my own lawn anymore. I notified my customers last year to increase their watering cycles . What are your guys thoughts on this? I may get into topdressing this spring.
Is your ban a complete blackout period? Or is it one in which you just have to get your BMP to apply during that period?

watering may help a little, but I like the topdressing idea much better. It should not only give a place for new microbes to come in during a time in which they will not be getting zapped by the salts of fertilizer, but of course it will help retain moisture when it is applied, help keep any nutrients that you do apply in the root zone longer. The benefits are to numerous to list, so if you can find the time to explain this to your clients, it could be a real money maker for you.

I do not have a ban in my county but in Orange county (a area i service) there is a ban during the heat of the season, but you are allowed to still apply if you have your BMP certification.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Topdressing is always a good idea. Start with a soil sample to see exactly what you need. Pasco and Hillsborough are still selling supplies. If you haven't taken the BMP class now is a great time. Even if you only want to work on your own lawn it's great info. The lawn guy should have the neighborhood trophy lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Attention Lee and Sarasota Counties with fertilizer Black out. Contact LS member Fl-landscape and beg him to work with you. He has a Professional power driven Top Dresser and Class B CDL 14 yard truck to haul compost. His equipment is still in great shape and there is no way you could top dress yourself as economical as he does. In addition he can offer you full service Pest & Weed Control.

Without getting too technical Top dress is the way to go on our Sandy Soil. It adds Water and Chemical Holding power to the sand. Use this in conjunction with SLOW RELEASE Synthetics creates a year round Green response. This is called a Bridge Program because it uses both Orgasmic and Synthetic products or the best of both worlds. Studies by the U of F have proven properly managed Bridge programs have a positive impact on our environment. 1st these applications are less prone to leaching or run off and the healthier turf acts as a filter to inhibit leaching or run off by other chemicals.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Florida, where we have "soil" in our sand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Florida, where we have "soil" in our sand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

There actually is a Green Belt in Florida with excellent soil. However Coastal S. W. Florida is not that area. I can't speak for your area but I have pulled enough soil samples from my area to know exactly what is lacking.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems all the stucco boxes built in my area are on leveled sand with the only soil being what is on the sod. Looks great for a while. I would think the old orange groves they turn into developments would have decent soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Seems all the stucco boxes built in my area are on leveled sand with the only soil being what is on the sod. Looks great for a while. I would think the old orange groves they turn into developments would have decent soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

Most successful Orange Gloves were in fact planted on better soil. But Look where they are????? They are not the water front canal property that has the big bucks for a trophy Yard. Orange Groves are inland and moving farther south each years because of our climate change.

Fact is blame the poor soil on the builder. They save about $ 200 bucks in my area by using Crapola for final fill and grade instead of Top soil. If it is behind the walls or under the ground who cares?? Plastic Pipe running to Gold faucets.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Attention Lee and Sarasota Counties with fertilizer Black out. Contact LS member Fl-landscape and beg him to work with you. He has a Professional power driven Top Dresser and Class B CDL 14 yard truck to haul compost. His equipment is still in great shape and there is no way you could top dress yourself as economical as he does. In addition he can offer you full service Pest & Weed Control.

Without getting too technical Top dress is the way to go on our Sandy Soil. It adds Water and Chemical Holding power to the sand. Use this in conjunction with SLOW RELEASE Synthetics creates a year round Green response. This is called a Bridge Program because it uses both Orgasmic and Synthetic products or the best of both worlds. Studies by the U of F have proven properly managed Bridge programs have a positive impact on our environment. 1st these applications are less prone to leaching or run off and the healthier turf acts as a filter to inhibit leaching or run off by other chemicals.
Ric, you talking about this guy? Thanks for the free advertisment. Those are not \gaps in coverage you see, just the areas the tires go over and push the compost down into the turf. And that particular spot on the property isnt in great shape, bermuda mixed in and brown due to frost
Attached Images

Last edited by fl-landscapes; 01-24-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Lmao!

funny!