Register free!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Love the new sub forum guys. Florida LawnCare.

What the heck is the details on this ban.

I hear fertilzer ban and I hear use slow release?

This ban will be here next when word gets out.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was a knee jerk reaction by Pinellas county to what it perceived was caused by commercial sources. Thankfully Hillsborough county said "hold on now, we need more proof before we impact people's livelihood". They are still awaiting this proof that it's caused by professional applicators.

BTW Milorganite was 10.41 a bag at Walmart today.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post

What the heck is the details on this ban.

I hear fertilzer ban and I hear use slow release?
Orange County's is not as complete blackout like some. Over all ours makes a lot of sense. The only issue most of us have with it is the fact that it is truly just a way to collect revenue. Each applicator has to take the BMP course offered to be able to apply just straight fertilizer. Given the number of applicators in the county that adds up as a decent revenue source. I must say that they offered several free chances to go through the BMP this year as well.

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/Portal...NANCE10609.pdf

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BMP should be mandatory to just cut grass. Too many yoyo's cutting SA at 2.5 inches. Maybe make it mandatory for HO's or LCO's just to buy anything. There Florida budget crisis fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

great link thanks.

Now that its on paper, the environmentalists can start tightening up on the specs.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
BMP should be mandatory to just cut grass. Too many yoyo's cutting SA at 2.5 inches. Maybe make it mandatory for HO's or LCO's just to buy anything. There Florida budget crisis fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would almost agree with you, but I pick up so many sod jobs in a given year as well as accounts from lawn boys who do not know what they are doing. Especially enjoy the phone calls I get that go something like this. " I got your number from "so and so" and they stated you could help. My lawn guy has destroyed my yard. I paid him to mow and take care of the fertilizer and pest control, can you come look at my lawn?" Now this kind of phone call is most likely to happen in July and August and I know 90% of the time I am going to a lawn in which 90% of it has been destroyed by chinch bugs. This type of call usually results in a lawn that is being cut at the 2.5 inch rage you speak of.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaffer View Post
tallrick, bet that pig manure has a nice odor!?!,
Oh don't remind me. Thankfully once the tank is closed I do not have to smell anything bad. The biogas takes a couple of weeks to form, and is a great alternative to natural gas. The water wash filter collects ammonia so it's easy to just inject it in the irrigation system. Once gassed out it's relatively odor-free dirt. Then the disgusting process of refilling the tank, yuck!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

While I am anything but a Tree Hugger I must admit our Harbors and Bays are much cleaner today than when I was a kid. I have seen a change. At one time we could swim any where with out fear of Gators. But we where also swimming in water where Raw Sewage was dumped.

Today there are a number of Gator attacks each year in Clean Water because of the Tree Huggers.

Speaking of the Fertilizer bans or Black out. U of F recently released a study Than I lost with a computer crash. But They basically said the Fertilizer Ban was causing more pollution than Properly applied Fertilizer. They pointed out that Health Turf acts as a filter.

Florida also commissioned a study about Fertilizer Laws on a state level. Once again I lost it in a computer crash but I know I posted Links on Lawnsite way back when. It is that study that My county used as their Fertilizer law. Counties around us followed the Tree Hugger Law of Sarasota county with the Black out dates. It is this law that U of F condemns

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Speaking of the Fertilizer bans or Black out. U of F recently released a study Than I lost with a computer crash.
You mean that study they recently pulled from publication? Gonna have to find another fertilizer industry funded study to hang your hat on Ric.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

links please. I would like to read why it was pulled.