Register free!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Without debating the accuracy of your statement "If I say Nitrogen.....etc."
There is some potentially tricky wording. "Causes" in your sentence, for instance, implies that nitrogen is the only possible cause and no other factor comes into play.
Furthermore "cell elongation" is "that" which makes grass grow also suggests there is nothing else which makes it grow. The word "grow" could even be interpreted in different ways.
Funny, I was going to comment on that, even started to write a response pointing out the problems with the statement, but decided it wasn't worth the certain bullshiit that would have followed as a result.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril

YOU WIN, You have managed to drag me down to a fools level and beat me with experience. As educated as you are, Life must be tougher for you than the average guy.

dirtandhoops

You win also. However I am not sure the average yard boy or the customer really cares if Nitrogen is the only element used in Growth. What they care about is the fact is Scotts 32-2-3 makes their grass turn green. BTW they don't care that Scotts 32-2-3 at 4 time the price of 46-0-0 isn't much better than the rip off, Because if it is Scotts is got to good.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShaffer View Post
Ric, When I was down there I had a great blend. Sunniland (who I think is the largest blender of Milorganite) blended a sweet blend. It was a 2-0-18 with like 1500 lbs Milorganite and 250 Sulpo Mag and 250 of Murate of Potash, or something like that, and the great part it was like $550/ton. I loved it
Today they have a 7-0-20, 3.75% iron and other minors, like you are describing.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

keith, thats a nice blend, couple times a year, thats money.
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well now, I see two ego maniacs with inferiority complexes engaged in a verbal duel... both of them extremely knowledgeable.

I understand both perspectives; I believe the root problem is that the preponderance of "yard boys" are functionally illiterate. When one has failed at everything, including selling real estate, you go to Florida with an f-ed up 150, a POS trailer and some used crap on the back and cut grass below cost.

By the same token, many applicators send out a "tech" who doesn't have a clue what he is treating or the product he is treating it with.

The nature of the green industry is changing rapidly, in a small way we can see what's coming in that the state is beginning to mandate education and certification in "Best Management Practices" in addition to limited application licensing. The bar will be set increasingly higher in order to weed out the idiots that mow, blow, go; indiscriminately apply fertilizer and pesticides and after scalping the chit out of the lawn advise the client to add more water and blame the subsequent insect and pathogen infestations on Ric.

Proper education, management and cooperation is key... the derogatory statements, demeaning name calling and other sophomoric behavior will not bring about enlightenment. Other than myself, I wonder how many people actually read these post and obtained some beneficial information?

Probably a reason why I sit on the side lines most of the time reading the same BS... BUT, you got to go through a lot of oysters to find a pearl.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buck wheat, are you referring to a certain individual with the F150 or just the majority that fall into that demographic?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The nature of the green industry is changing rapidly, in a small way we can see what's coming in that the state is beginning to mandate education and certification in "Best Management Practices" in addition to limited application licensing.

Yes, I agree. It is better to educate than to mandate and regulate .... and the clients are beginning to become more knowledgeable and demanding.

However, the flip side to that are the ones that seem to believe they're going to get consistently top service for beer prices.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Buck wheat, are you referring to a certain individual with the F150 or just the majority that fall into that demographic?
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just politically incorrect profiling... could be any POS means of transport.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
The nature of the green industry is changing rapidly, in a small way we can see what's coming in that the state is beginning to mandate education and certification in "Best Management Practices" in addition to limited application licensing.

Yes, I agree. It is better to educate than to mandate and regulate .... and the clients are beginning to become more knowledgeable and demanding.

However, the flip side to that are the ones that seem to believe they're going to get consistently top service for beer prices.
Doesn't everybody? Hence the relative (though shorter term) sucess of the hackers. You still have to make enough money to pay for the beer.

In time & with regulation increasing as well as new licensing requirements, the Keystone Lite crowd will have to move on since they neither have the intelect or the financial resources to maintain a compliant operation.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post

If we must mandate, then let those laws be perceived as Fair and Righteous. All the laws in the world are not good unless the majority of people agree to abide by them. In the case of the following link to a study presently before our State Legislation, I feel this is a very workable compromise. BTW it was written by educated people from all areas of concern.

http://consensus.fsu.edu/Fertilizer-...rce/index.html

IMHO the Black Out Bans will never work because the majority of people just won't believe it is a fair law. My Biggest problem with Tree Hugger is not that I believe organics don't work. I use Organics in both L&O and Structural Pest control successfully. My big problem with Tree Huggers is their lack of willingness to compromise and use both synthetic and organic depending on the job at hand. I value the best from both worlds.

BTW we could cut out all products both Organic and Synthetic from Horticulture and still not stop the pollution problem. It is not just Agriculture but also Industry that is polluting our environment.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.