Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
You don't want Customers............You want Good Customers.

I think this is where beginners and Large companies get in trouble. They take everyone as a customer. There are a bunch of Cheap people out there who don't want to pay the going rate and they want Disneyland results. Your real job as a salesman is to QUALIFY the customer.

I have multiply Credentials Framed on the wall above my Desk. But what makes me a real professional is my willing to use two Phrases. The First is ""I don't Know"" some times followed by I will try and find out for you. The Second is a simple ""NO"". Of course my point being we can't know everything and we can't make everyone happy so why deal with the PITA.
I wish I would have gotten this through my THICK HEAD a few years earlier than I did. It would have saved me a ton of grief.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I wish I would have gotten this through my THICK HEAD a few years earlier than I did. It would have saved me a ton of grief.
I was telling Fl Landscape who first made this point. My realization came during an estimate. Many years ago I gave an (Cheap) estimate and the customer had a fit. She kept asking me questions as to why the price etc and if I took out this and that etc. She Finally agree to give me job and that was exactly when I came to my senses. I quickly told her ""I am sorry but I won't do your job because you think the price is too high and will expect perfect work"" Best thing I ever did because she would have been a real PITA.

I have the new owner but I just lost one of my best customers to a house sale. I can't say we never had a problem. Fact is I sprayed her shrubs and messed up a fresh paint job. But what made her a great customer was attitude she had about the problem. Of course I admitted fault and Yes it cost me money but customer's cost and it is better to give a little to keep a good one than to try and replace them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Yard signs don't work! And the good areas have a cleanup guy that carts everyday and picks them all up. The best thing i've used was fllers so far. Cost is cheap and i though them as i drive by,can do 500 an hr in a big sub. In 3 month i got 50 accounts. If you new keep the good and bad ones and weed them out in the winter. Unless your losing money ,let them go.
Here in jax there's a flier guy(business name). Think he will design print and hand deliver fliers for i think .07 ea. He said theres other out there doing the same,just not here.
I'm at 25-30 cuts a week my first yr an stopped doing fliers early. This yr trying to bump to 50 cuts a week. Better savings to make a better winter.