Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya but there's so much you can do, most home owners don't want to sit down and study lawn for weeks. Although you don't really need to, just need to know the basic, most home owners think by cutting their lawn, they did enough. But ya I'm trying my best to educate my customers.
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you a member of Landscape Ontario and the CNLA Canadian Nursery Landscape
Association? They hold seminars and send out e-mails and magazines full of helpful
information for their members.
I'm with the BCLNA, ISA and the CNLA. They keep me up to date on the latest insect pests and plant diseases too.
Also, we get discounts on insurance, gas, equipment, work clothing, safety gear and boots, printing and a whole lot more. If you're already involved great. Hopefully this post will get other people and companies interested in joining their associations.
Let's get as many people as we can "Landscape Industry Certified"
Gee, you'd think I was on the education committee of the CNLA or some-thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Dr.new Earth, thanks for sharing your experiences. I like the idea of pulling pesticides of the retail shelves. Its a no-brainer that education needs to occur before using products that can effect the environment and health of others.

I get frustrated about the whole situation because I know that pesticides are also extremely valuable to our health and environment. This generation of folks who are calling the shots today live in an easy world compared to those that lived with all the insect borne diseases like the plague, and malaria. We don't remember that before pesticides, insects would often wipe out entire crops and cause millions to die of famine or disease.

Its easy for our generation to be against pesticides in all forms, but the hypocrisy is that most of us wouldn't be here without them!

I'm all for reducing pesticides in the cosmetic department, but at the same time I don't want to promote ignorance by telling people that pesticides are bad. Its only the misapplication of pesticides that are bad. I think some pesticides are actually awesome, and when used properly they allow us to farm less land and keep people healthy.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

here is their brochure I picked up at the New Jersey Show

Barry Draycott is their first distributor in the US
www.techterraorganics.com
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fiesta brochure.pdf (829.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
Are you a member of Landscape Ontario and the CNLA Canadian Nursery Landscape
Association? They hold seminars and send out e-mails and magazines full of helpful
information for their members.
I'm with the BCLNA, ISA and the CNLA. They keep me up to date on the latest insect pests and plant diseases too.
Also, we get discounts on insurance, gas, equipment, work clothing, safety gear and boots, printing and a whole lot more. If you're already involved great. Hopefully this post will get other people and companies interested in joining their associations.
Let's get as many people as we can "Landscape Industry Certified"
Gee, you'd think I was on the education committee of the CNLA or some-thing.
I heard about landscape Ontario, but my company hasn't been running long enough in order to be in that group, maybe in the future!
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Question for HalfBay

I was curious re: your comment about not being able to use Fiesta in the fall as I was not quite certain what you meant. The product has shown effectiveness in cooler temperatures. I also had a question about the recommendation for Organasol. Did you meant to imply that it controls weeds that Fiesta does not? Those that I have spoken re: their experience with Fiesta did not mention the use of another material in their broadleaf management programs. Perhaps they are missing a good idea. Re: repeat applications, I think that is understood. Certainly all the efficacy work that was done with FeHEDTA compared to traditional 3 ways, always compared % control of 2 applications of Fiesta to a single one of the traditional materials. The trial data showed, quicker weed response to Fiesta with similar long term results.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its HayBay Mark.

Yes Fiesta only supresses 16 out of say 45 weeds.
Organosol supresses other weeds in the spring at 5 -8 consecutive apps, 2 weeks apart. Then repeat the process for the Fall.
If you apply fiesta in May and again in June (4 weeks later), you have used up the amount of legal apps per year (the label says 2 apps a year). Therefore you cannot apply 2 more apps in the fall.

They are changing the label to 4 apps from what I hear. Even though they have done studies in Ontario (Landscape Ontario, University of Guelph) saying that only 1 application was needed (when the product was first registered). Then the said 2 apps were needed. Now they are saying 4 apps are neeeded.

If you want some true advice you will find out that if you want to supress weeds with FIESTA you will need to spray every 3 weeks for the whole season, to kill Dandelion and a handful of other weeds. You will be living with thisle and many other weeds.
Organosol is another every 2-3 week product and it does not kill thistle either.

4 apps - 8 apps a year of FIESTA a HEAVY METAL (talk about environementally friendly)

Dr New Earth seems to be providing a tad of misinformation. That is not unusual from many Enviro Lawn Care companies that are just starting out. The most important thing before applying Lime is to get a soil sample and see if it is needed. Then try the products for youself before talking like the Neudorff salesman (fiesta manufacturer)
To say that 2,4-D is dangerous and then you go to the fridge and grab a bit to eat, Boggles my mind. Read more than what Misinformed Activists say about legally registered, safe Pesticides.

Nobody uses Fiesta on their food crops. Heck Germany doesnt even use Fiesta on their lawns. But they sell it to us.

If you are forced to use Fiesta (Pesticide Ban) then that is what will sell.

If you can use products like 2,4-D or Imprelis in your community, you won't even look at Fiesta because your competion will have a 99% weed free lawn and only show up 2-3 times a year to CONTROL weeds. You will be showing up every 2-3 weeks to SUPRESS some weeds at an inflated price. The customer is not stupid. He wants bang for his buck.

Stopping 2,4-D treatments on a lawn wont change health or the environment.
I recall reading that FIESTA is banned in Nova Scotia or Halifax already, for safety concerns.

Last edited by HayBay; 04-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i was wishing that it would work better than what is being said it does.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I spoke to some very reliable folks that tried it last year and said the results were very good to great when mixed with methylated seed oil. I personally have no experience and do not know the mixing ratio
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

oil really?
do you have a oil well bill?