Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

10,000 gallon fuel tank removal.

Got a call today about removing two 10,000 gallon fuel tanks from a closed gas station. Never have dealt with this kind of job I have a Cat 315 excavator will this be sufficient in removing the tank. I know the tanks weigh somewhere around 8500 lbs or so empty which is right at the limit of the machine. I would like to get some input from you guys that have dealt with these things before. Any advice appreciated.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure that when they are out of the ground, responsibility passes to someone else. Get it in writing. You do not want to be in charge of disposing of them, unless you have a plan in place with someone willing to accept them.IN WRITING Ask me how I know......
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmtnmartin View Post
Be sure that when they are out of the ground, responsibility passes to someone else. Get it in writing. You do not want to be in charge of disposing of them, unless you have a plan in place with someone willing to accept them.IN WRITING Ask me how I know......
Yeah I know all I am going to be pricing is removing from the ground. Had a bad experience with them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't you need to be a licensed epa person to go and dig up old gas tanks? No way would I get near this with out the epa giving me the OK. This could easly put your business under if not done the right way.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

pulled them out over here with 16 ton machines but had to slice the tops off them as they'd be filled with concrete so had to break it all out then cut them up for scrap.

can be dangerous to cut up with fuel vapor etc
Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

You really want to get something in writing over this, if the tanks are leaking now your dealing with hazardous waste. Dealing with decomissioned gas stations is a whole different ball of wax. I sure hope your working for a enviromental contractor, if not if this is just you and the owner walk away not worth your troubles.

Where I live there was a gas station decomissioned 18 years ago, today it is still un-useable land it cost in the millions to clean up. The contractor that worked on the job said it was horrible you needed to wear a gas mask the smell gasoline it would give you a instant head ache. After they were finished the digging the excavator had to be steam cleaned the contaminated dirt in the undercarriage had to be removed.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Don't you need to be a licensed epa person to go and dig up old gas tanks? No way would I get near this with out the epa giving me the OK. This could easly put your business under if not done the right way.
That is the way it is here. You have to licensed to do them (the large tanks). I have taken out smaller tanks. I always put a bunch of dry ice down the tank to dispell the vapor before I start digging on it.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I think there may be more rings and hoops to jump through to be able to do this than is worth it.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

fuel tank removal is not something I wanna do very often. Are the fuel tanks metal or are they the fiberglass style?

I've taken up a couple I think they were 8,000 gallon ones. its impossible to get all the gas or fuel out of them so keep that in mind you will have probably 100 gallons of sludge/ fuel left in the 8K gallon tank.

I remember my grandpa telling me a story of a guy he knew down the road rent a trackloader to take some up at his old gas station. He went raming down in the hole and stabbed some holes in the tanks that still had old gas in them. They pulled them outa the ground while gas poured out and hauled them away with it still dripping going down the road.

Now I did do some work there 5 years or so ago and everytime a took a scoop out of the ground it reaked of gas smell.

Like everyones said, make sure someone is licensed to remove them and have in writting you are solely responsible for digging them up and pulling them out.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Also remember if tanks are not bedded in sand hard suction to break if they are in wet ground. We used 320cat it was a strain second the dry ice we had blocks cut into small sticks to drop in tank.
Posted via Mobile Device