Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I Need Advice(Long Post)

I have been around this site for a long time, I don't post much but I keep up with everything. Here is my background and I would appreciate any advice.
I am 30 years old. I did not attend college. I started working for my Dad when I was 18. It is just him and me in the company he started in 1992. We do grading, clearing, hauling, septic sytem installs, and any other residential site work. Work slowed last year, I was laid off and I have been unemployeed for a year now. He has a little work, but not enough for both of us, unless he needs help with something and I get called. He asks like he could care less if I worked or not. He buys things at the drop of a hat and doesn't worry about having work. He has never been really good at trying to expand the company. My Dad does not advertise for work, he relies only on word of mouth which worked well until a year ago. I have a general contractors license and can build homes, but there is not much of that going on here now. I got my GC license more or less to just have it if I wanted to build houses. I have one house that I am going to start in a couple weeks that I was lucky to get. I really prefer to do the dirt work, but I need to work now . I am doing the house out of necessity for work. I have been doing all the odd jobs I can get until now.
Here's my delimma: Should I try to get more construction work? (I started a company right before the recession and had to close because of a lack of work.) Should I try to start a grading/site work business of my own? Or Should I just try to get a job somewhere? What would you guys do?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bail out and do something else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

as hard as it may be, it sounds like its time you fly solo now.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah man, it's time to do your own thing whatever it may be (const, dirtwork, etc.) You should help the old man on the side, if he needs it. It's a good thing to have worked with your father all these years, thats something $$$ can't replace.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What part if NC are you from? I'm in raleigh... things are busy as hell for us.

Might be time to venture out on your own, although that can be a very expensive risk in this economy.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bottom Line is you have to have work. If you cannot get it then this discussion is really pointless.

My advice is develop a buisness plan. Establish required buisness expenses to run the plan and then determine if and how you can get the work.
You obviously have the experience but running a peice of equipment has nothing to do with being succesful in buisness.
You did mention taht you could not find work before so what has changed to make you think it will work now?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A word of advice:

I am a home builder............my clients.....and yours (potential) are going to expect you to produce a quality product........with which they will be investing their hard earned dollars on .........now and possibly for the next thirty years plus or minus. The responsibility that you plan to take on does not end upon you receiving your final check. Your completed projects are a reflection of you as a builder and will follow you .........good or bad.........satisfied client or unhappy client........

The size or final cost of the home you are building WILL NOT MATTER . Treat all of your homes with the same degree of Quality & Integrity.........and your happy clients will send more your way.........

Incorporate dad's basic ideas into your new business plan and roll on........good luck

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Turbo Turf 300E hydroseeder
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Bail out and do something else.
Ron this is just like yourself to the T

NEVER work for family is never works out in most cases.

What usually happens is the family memeber gets treated poorly because you are family.

I stopped working for my family years ago, they sill owe me close to 100 grand in wages.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't listen to Anything Gravel Rat says.

That is the best advice anyone can give you
Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Ron this is just like yourself to the T

NEVER work for family is never works out in most cases.

What usually happens is the family memeber gets treated poorly because you are family.

I stopped working for my family years ago, they sill owe me close to 100 grand in wages.
Why do they owe you so much money?