Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an 07 duramax work truck reg cab with 55k miles for 14k. No way I would pay 30k for a work truck. Seems kind of stupid. Why not go for a shorter ROI?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Had an 03 F250 6.4L with around 130k on it, ended up having a cracked head $4,000 that was with proper maintenance and never overheating. The towing power of the ford was lacking compared to the 2500 dodge turbo diesel. After this expensive lesson and talking to everyone I could it was very clear the 7.3L was the way to go with the Fords, but I would only buy the Dodge at this point.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
I bought an 07 duramax work truck reg cab with 55k miles for 14k. No way I would pay 30k for a work truck. Seems kind of stupid. Why not go for a shorter ROI?
I am going for a ROI. Looking around on Saturday at a few 7.3's and I found myself a 1985 F250 4x4 long bed in fantastic condition. The interior is like new. The paint faded and needs some work due to it's age. A man in his 70's owned it since new. 62k original miles. It's got a 460 big block and on the highway at 75 mph this truck ran smooth and straight.

I've been looking for this truck for a while because I love the 81-86 body style. I wasn't intending to work it but....this will be perfect for work and cost a hell of a lot less.

You got a sweet deal on the Duramax. I've been looking for a few months but there's nothing in that price range in 4x4 long bed with that kind of miles as of now.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlminc View Post
I am going for a ROI. Looking around on Saturday at a few 7.3's and I found myself a 1985 F250 4x4 long bed in fantastic condition. The interior is like new. The paint faded and needs some work due to it's age. A man in his 70's owned it since new. 62k original miles. It's got a 460 big block and on the highway at 75 mph this truck ran smooth and straight.

I've been looking for this truck for a while because I love the 81-86 body style. I wasn't intending to work it but....this will be perfect for work and cost a hell of a lot less.

You got a sweet deal on the Duramax. I've been looking for a few months but there's nothing in that price range in 4x4 long bed with that kind of miles as of now.
Yeah I had been looking for a truck for several months for my irrigation tech. I had an 03 Ford F-250 before with a 6.0, but one of guys totaled it. The 6.0 just made me nervous. I didn't have any problems but it was very difficult to start when cold and white smoked when it cranked up. I don't think I would trust a ford after 03. And I think a truck older than 03 might nickel and dime you to death.

You are not wary of an older truck? I guess if you have time to tinker it might be ok. Definately easier on your wallet initially.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin View Post
Yeah I had been looking for a truck for several months for my irrigation tech. I had an 03 Ford F-250 before with a 6.0, but one of guys totaled it. The 6.0 just made me nervous. I didn't have any problems but it was very difficult to start when cold and white smoked when it cranked up. I don't think I would trust a ford after 03. And I think a truck older than 03 might nickel and dime you to death.

You are not wary of an older truck? I guess if you have time to tinker it might be ok. Definitely easier on your wallet initially.
I'm not concerned with dumping money into the 1985. It's in excellent condition and probably in better shape than most of the newer models for sale locally. It's got plenty of power and it's easy to work on if anything needs attention. I'm sure I'll be able to watch the fuel needle move south as I'm driving it! Probably only gets 8mpg. It won't be used full time or traveling long distance for work so I let that negative aspect slide.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a newer truck. If the right deal comes along I pick one up.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I ended up going for a 2005 Chevy 3500 LT 4x4 CC with the Duramax and 8' bed. I'll pick the older ford up in a few weeks if it's still around. The Chevy was a nice deal so I went that route. I'll give the new Ford diesels a few more years and maybe go back.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like a nice truck. How many miles and how much?

Last edited by juststartin; 02-05-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's got 95k miles on it and I picked it up for 20k.

The local owner had the truck serviced on a reg basis at a local GM dealer. That's a nice thing about carfax, it shows the maintenance and work done to the veh if it was brought into a dealership. My last crew cab 4x4 diesel long bed was a 97 powerstroke. I only sold it because someone offered me more than what I had paid for it 3 yrs earlier!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...hicle-glossary

fleet vehicle, frame damage reported in history report.

Suspiciously low mileage.

Cool truck though.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I had my eye on a 03 Ford F350 6.0 regular cab with 83,000 miles for $10,000 and after reading this thread and hearing all the problems people have been having, I'm staying far away from any new Ford trucks.

I'll probably go with a Dodge. Maybe check out the Chevy's.