Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting older like the rest of us :(

I am 45 yrs old and just had to have a pacemaker installed to regulate my heartbeat and everyone I have talked with said that is way too young to have that done so I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or any equipment they have bought to make the job a little easier or in other words work smarter, not harder? Im not opposed to hard work, dont get me wrong but was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make it easier for a rusty old man? !
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM42 View Post
I am 45 yrs old and just had to have a pacemaker installed to regulate my heartbeat and everyone I have talked with said that is way too young to have that done so I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or any equipment they have bought to make the job a little easier or in other words work smarter, not harder? Im not opposed to hard work, dont get me wrong but was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make it easier for a rusty old man? !
I'd say 45 is pretty young to be having heart problems. If your doctor told you to take it easy, I'd listen to him. What equipment do you run now?

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Am running Super Z's, Walkers, string trimmers, blowers, pretty much everything except a welder, he said that was a BIG no-no, stay far away from welders he said because they big magnet in it and really do a number on a pacemaker and I dont want to find about that the hard way. Thanks for the quick response but Id like to hear some more suggestions as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd hook a 12 volt battery to that baby and really increase my production. JK. I'm 57 and just keep a steady pace and drink a ton of water. If I get to hot I just stop for the day. I'm not a doctor but seems like your ticker was skipping a beat so they just evened it out for you. The doctor didn't tell you to slow down or quit did he?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

No, my heartbeat was irregular, it would beat fast for awhile and then it would beat slow, so they thought a pacemaker would even it out the best so maybe thats all it will take hopefully. I find I get a little tired easier than I used to do but I guess that comes with the territory and still is better than the alternative so I just keep on keepin on, thats all you can do isnt it? lol Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I know we all like to mess and play with each other and bust balls but I could really use some suggestions as how to make the physical workload not at bad on a guy like me whos health issues are just starting to show up but dont want them to get any worse if you know what I mean? I can still work circles around the younger guys we have now but dont know how much longer that can happen. So again, any suggestions or words of advice would be GREATLY appreciated because Ill be the first one to tell you I dont know it all so Im asking for help
Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Heck its the collections and pita customers which get my blood up...going to contracts helped me immensely. Allowed me to plan and hire help...take vacations etc..have weekends off most of the time...
Call in work was very stressful as I always got a rush kf folks on Thursday and Friday.

Hydro walkbehinds were like Cadillac s compared to belt driven mowers...if your running zees and walkers, you seem to have the best...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the responses guys, I could really use the input.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM42 View Post
Thanks again for the responses guys, I could really use the input.
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I think the greatest thing about running a lawncare service is the independence it gives you. When. We feel that this independence is threatened by health problems or anything else, it can be scary. I hope you can still manage your business and take care of your self for your family. I do have a question. I have had problems with my heart skipping beats for a few yrs now.i am 33. I haven't had insurance till this year so I will look I to it. But I was wondering if your problem started with anything slow like what i described? Again, best wishes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to stay as healthy as possible. Eat healthy, maintain your weight, quit smoking and drinking. Keep a careful eye on your cholesterol. Get plenty of rest. Try to take the stress out of your life. See if you can eventually hire a crewchief so that you can take more time out of the field and maybe concentrate on sales and promoting your company.
http://www.klawns.com