Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscibing.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I knew why you started this thread mate, thats why I subscribed! I was going to do the same thing. We are both in the same boat as I have the 31kawi SZ as well, and was going to upgrade to the new SZ. If it had the DFI it would almost be a sure thing but now Im not so sure. I am VERY suspect of the 37.
I dont think the 31hp (which isnt a bad engine IMO, but has issues like back firing) is going to be enough engine for the new SZ. Theres what, 120kg more weight in the new SZ alone and bigger hydro system. Why did they bypass the 34hp?

PJ said they dont have plans for the 37dfi and or have had problems getting them. I doubt we'd see the dfi in this first round of machines. Maybe future versions, I dont know!

All I know is, I am absolutely gutted about these engine options! How can I spend all the extra money if I dont trust the engine? Like I said, this is a keeper machine, a machine you'd keep for a few thousand hours. How can we keep it for so long when there are engine issues? Give the engines the same warranty as the hydro system and I wouldnt have a problem!
I'm with you on this Mick! And I BETTER get at least 3000 hours out of my engine/ machine without major problems, especially since I don't mow commercially! For what I'm cutting now with a Super Z, it would take me about 9 years to achieve around 420 hours or so!

Man this engine has got me nervous!!!!
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can change the oil every 2 hours, clean the air filter everyday, change the fuel filter once a month, but the BB FX will still blow up. Valve train issues, no maintenance will cure that. Get a Vanguard or Kohler or Kubota engine if available in the make your partial to. Hustler makes an awesome machine, but the fx is junk. If you read all the bad news on these threads and still get an FX, well then, you're a moron. Sorry.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive noticed the Toro have pulled the 37 from there G3 line up!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Knowing kawi they got the issues figured out. I would say if the engine is a fresh unit (off kawis assembly line) it will be fine. The new old stock is what could still have issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the smaller FX models are having the problems that the big blocks are.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
You can change the oil every 2 hours, clean the air filter everyday, change the fuel filter once a month, but the BB FX will still blow up. Valve train issues, no maintenance will cure that. Get a Vanguard or Kohler or Kubota engine if available in the make your partial to. Hustler makes an awesome machine, but the fx is junk. If you read all the bad news on these threads and still get an FX, well then, you're a moron. Sorry.
I appreciate your honesty...

Ok, I have an '09 SZ with the 31 hp Kawasaki FX850V. CODE: FX850V-BS08-R and E/NO: FX850VA08622.

I've got 70 hours on the machine. Only problem I've had so far was a completely clogged fuel filter. Will change to synthetic oil when I do my first initial Spring maintenance.

So what I'm asking is, from YOUR experience, how many hours do you think I should get out of THIS engine before I have major problems? Anything I should be looking (or listening) for once it gets "X" number of hours??

I'm assuming you prefer Kohler over Kawasaki (I've always been the opposite)...

Thanks.
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
I don't think the smaller FX models are having the problems that the big blocks are.
What do you mean by "smaller" FX models? I thought all the FX series engines are big block engines? Just asking (and learning)...
Old 02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
What do you mean by "smaller" FX models? I thought all the FX series engines are big block engines? Just asking (and learning)...
Its been awhile since I've been on my vride but it has a 24hp fx engine and the 52 has a 26hp fx engine. I'm pretty sure the 34hp and 37hp engines share the same cases while the 31hp is a smaller version. Just going off memory but I believe that is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 24hp FX.