Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L View Post
When did they rework they valve train? I bought a 2013 super z with the 37 and now after reading this thread I'm very worried, myn backfires like crazy most times when you turn it off
Posted via Mobile Device
Every Kawi I've had is just fine and doesn't do the backfiring thing. I drop it back to idle and let it run like that for at least 30 full seconds before turning it off.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Every Kawi I've had is just fine and doesn't do the backfiring thing. I drop it back to idle and let it run like that for at least 30 full seconds before turning it off.
Me too, myn will backfire good unless it's reved right out and turned off at 3/4 to full throttle, and even then it's touch and go
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L View Post
Me too, myn will backfire good unless it's reved right out and turned off at 3/4 to full throttle, and even then it's touch and go
Posted via Mobile Device
That's how my last Kohler was. I can't see a reason the manu's couldn't remedy that.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
My FX 34hp has just gone in for a rebuild, 3040 hours and was starting to use too much oil. Has been a fantastic motor and i'm hoping it isn't done yet ! A new engine is about $4000 here
Youve certainly had great use out of your machine, especially knowing some of the stuff you cut at times.
Hope the re-con does the job for ya. Whats the re-con costing you?

How'd you go with the seat?

As far as the back firing goes, all in all mines been pretty good. I cant always let the engine idle down and rarely get a backfire. I will if, lets say I stop and reach down to pick up a stick and take some weight off the seat, and the engine stuffs off and then back on quickly. Then its like a shot gun going off!
But yeah, good practice to let it idle for a few seconds before shut down. Sometimes I'll let it idle while I tie it down, then turn it off.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't read the whole thread but either turning the engine off at WOT, or opening the throttle to wide open as soon as you turn the engine off, should cure the backfire problem.

Some people worry about turning the engine off at WOT (for fear of hurting it somehow) but if you think about it, the engine doesn't do anything any differently than it does while running at WOT....other than not having a spark to ignite the gas/air mix.

The purpose of the WOT throttle position at shut down is for the momentum of the engine to force the remaining air/fuel out of the muffler so it can't ignite (which causes the backfire).
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but either turning the engine off at WOT, or opening the throttle to wide open as soon as you turn the engine off, should cure the backfire problem.

Some people worry about turning the engine off at WOT (for fear of hurting it somehow) but if you think about it, the engine doesn't do anything any differently than it does while running at WOT....other than not having a spark to ignite the gas/air mix.

The purpose of the WOT throttle position at shut down is for the momentum of the engine to force the remaining air/fuel out of the muffler so it can't ignite (which causes the backfire).
Yep I agree...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Member

For the last 6 months mine has been shutting down using the electric fuel shutoff, takes 4 or 5 seconds but alway's shuts down quietly so i'm happy. I would think shutting off with revs on would see unburnt fuel entering the bores washing the oil off the rings etc and contaminate the oil in the sump. I got that sick of the backfire when picking up sticks from the seat, disconected the seat switch, good now. Yes Mick got my new seat $605 but came without armrests, its the same seat as my old Everide so i'll pinch armrests off it.