Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Found live chinch bugs in Debary Florida today!

First live chinch of the season found at a new survey today! Dang they are at it already,, thought we might be able to wait till March anyway,,, with all the recent freezes,, but that what keeps us in the business! Found Adults, teenagers and children,,full blown family cycles,, Sold it,, they had Tru-green,,
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrightday View Post
First live chinch of the season found at a new survey today! Dang they are at it already,, thought we might be able to wait till March anyway,,, with all the recent freezes,, but that what keeps us in the business! Found Adults, teenagers and children,,full blown family cycles,, Sold it,, they had Tru-green,,
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Although I think most people do not think about them this time of year it does not surprise me to much. I have always been told they can be active in moderately warm conditions.

The whole freeze theory I never bought into 100% no harder than our freezes really are here in Central FL. People act like we are up north and the ground is freezing 6 inches deep. My guess would be this little guys just dig a little deeper into the thatch and hang out. Is that what you think?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup, that's exactly what they do. I've seen it before,,just posting to remind everyone Florida is different from the rest of the country,,yea!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Yup, that's exactly what they do. I've seen it before,,just posting to remind everyone Florida is different from the rest of the country,,yea!

Do other areas of the country that do have chinch bugs and SA experience the same kind of infestations that we do? I mean are they as prevalent of a problem as they are here?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
www.YourLandscapePro.com
As I've pressure washed different places in the last few months, I've seen a couple of them running across wet areas trying to find dry ground.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Do other areas of the country that do have chinch bugs and SA experience the same kind of infestations that we do? I mean are they as prevalent of a problem as they are here?
Michael

Yep they are every where you find S A Turf. They are pretty much a one Variety pest.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Michael

Yep they are every where you find S A Turf. They are pretty much a one Variety pest.
Ric, I thought I remember reading or hearing some folks talk about chinch bugs on corn too. I would assume their effects would be the same on corn too? Do you know about the chinch bug and how they affect corn? And with the high cost of the chemicals to combat them just on lawns, is the cost as high on these crops? I know your guys cost is cheaper for what you do than what I do for my own lawn - but it seems like a fortune for no more than the sq footage it is.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ric or abrightday, I thought I had posted this question but I guess it did not take.

Here is my issue with illegals and the State. If they really do want to put a stop to illegal operators why do they not require you to have a license on file to purchase the products? Would that not be a cost effective way to solve this problem? I am even talking round up, well at least in the professional size volume for us "lawn boys". Wouldnt make to much sense to purchase the RTU at the cost of it.

So why not do this?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cinch bug and now mole crickets; seen them as far South as Ft. Lauderdale to Lake Worth on the North end; east of 95... gonna be a tough year.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric or abrightday, I thought I had posted this question but I guess it did not take.

Here is my issue with illegals and the State. If they really do want to put a stop to illegal operators why do they not require you to have a license on file to purchase the products? Would that not be a cost effective way to solve this problem? I am even talking round up, well at least in the professional size volume for us "lawn boys". Wouldnt make to much sense to purchase the RTU at the cost of it.

So why not do this?
Michael

First I googled Pests of Corn and learned chinch bugs effects corn. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Corn and many other grains are Grasses with big seed heads. When looking at the total grass family it is the most economical important plant in the world.

As for your above question, you Don't understand politics. To cut Wally World and Home Cheapo out of selling chemicals would take more than an act of congress. Illegal applicators like yourself would still be able to get some chemicals. I am willing to bet I could find some RUP for sale on E bay today. When Temidor required a special cert to purchase it was on E bay to any one all day long and in some cases cheaper than my supplier. I have seen E bay advertise quarts of Asulox when in fact it only legally comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. If I could legally repackage Pesticide in smaller containers Myself and a couple hundred people would be in the DIY pest control supply business making a fortune.

Buck Wheat

I am hoping with Dominion so cheap now I can pound my yards with a effective and safe insecticide that won't hurt the environment. At a Dollar a thousand to get resistant Chinch bug is not a big price and I get my grubs at the same time. I am planning to get out of L & O and more into GHP work in the next year or so. I do have a plan working towards that goal. So my bottom line is after next year I won't be worried about chinch bugs

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.