Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Moving to Destin in 1 year

anyone have any advice? i have tried starting my business up now 2 different times at 2 different locations, and have to up and move after a couple of years. Im hoping to hit the ground running when i get there and establish something quick. Im just a single operation but i have brand new professional equipment and brand new truck. I know there are alot of companies in FL all trying to obtain the same thing so any info would be appreciated. ill bottom feed for a bit if i have to just to get a few accounts.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnEnforcement25 View Post
Im just a single operation but i have brand new professional equipment and brand new truck.
Sounds like you have some bills coming your way.

Quote:

I know there are alot of companies in FL all trying to obtain the same thing so any info would be appreciated. ill bottom feed for a bit if i have to just to get a few accounts.

This is a understatement.
My advice to you would be
1. invest in some quality looking door hangers. Hit the pavement hard. 2, Don't cut the SA short.
3, Take some extension courses to become aware of common issues in Florida.
4. Don't forget the sunscreen
5. Don't forget the sunscreen
6. If you do not already know - learn spanish
7. Did I mention the sunscreen?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

haha thanks. ill try to remember the sunscreen. by bills do you mean the equipment? if so, no not really. everything i have bought was paid for basically with cash. with the exception of my truck. its an 09 Dodge Ram Crew cab Sport. its my family truck but doubles as my trailer hauler. I just added it in so whomever would know they are not dealing with some budgeted operator in a 20 year old mazda b2000. my equipment list is in my sig and im waiting on a Stihl FC90 being delivered tomorrow. like i said, im pretty debtless and business wise. i have be lazy and only used this biz as a means of making spending money. my situation allows me to stay home with my kids and do the jobs i chose to when i get the time. Im motivated to make it grow, and i have the equipment needed to get started, i just havent put it in motion because i know im going to up and leave every few years. but when i get there i want to establish something solid.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
haha thanks. ill try to remember the sunscreen. by bills do you mean the equipment? if so, no not really. everything i have bought was paid for basically with cash. with the exception of my truck. its an 09 Dodge Ram Crew cab Sport. its my family truck but doubles as my trailer hauler. I just added it in so whomever would know they are not dealing with some budgeted operator in a 20 year old mazda b2000. my equipment list is in my sig and im waiting on a Stihl FC90 being delivered tomorrow. like i said, im pretty debtless and business wise. i have be lazy and only used this biz as a means of making spending money. my situation allows me to stay home with my kids and do the jobs i chose to when i get the time. Im motivated to make it grow, and i have the equipment needed to get started, i just havent put it in motion because i know im going to up and leave every few years. but when i get there i want to establish something solid.

You will do fine, there is plenty of work down here. The main thing is to get your name out there. I know it is really kind of funny, but word of mouth will do you a great service down here, so just get yourself going with some door hangers and everything else will fall into place. By the way a 20 year old Mazda is considered high class to many down here. You will see everything from Escalades to station wagons pulling trailers. LOL

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Being we are in NW Florida, no need to learn Spanish...yet! Since your from "Mississippi", you might want to learn to speak English!

Run some local small ads in newspaper & the American Classifieds. Post regular ads on Craigs List, it is very POPULAR in our area.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAhaulboy View Post
no need to learn Spanish...yet!
LOL - better still learn ...you want to be prepared for next year.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i guess the comment about the mazda could have been better depicted. when i was in south carolina i knew a few guys that ran around with a homeowner grade lawn tractor mower, craftsman trimmers and a ford f150 truck bed converted to a trailer pulled with a beat up mazda b2000. thats just what i think of when i think of these poorly funded and put together LCO's low balling all day. beat up trucks and old rusted equipment is all.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i guess the comment about the mazda could have been better depicted. when i was in south carolina i knew a few guys that ran around with a homeowner grade lawn tractor mower, craftsman trimmers and a ford f150 truck bed converted to a trailer pulled with a beat up mazda b2000. thats just what i think of when i think of these poorly funded and put together LCO's low balling all day. beat up trucks and old rusted equipment is all.
OH Boy - you are about to enter to some sort of shell shock when you get down here. You will pull into a nice gated guarded community with 2 million dollar plus homes and see a Lincoln pulling a MTD rider from Wal-Mart.

You can get yourself one of these and some fuzzy dice for the mirror and still have some spending cash left over and not be out of place. Just get a 5 x8 trailer and your all set up to go.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i agree word of mouth is probably the most reliable. and the part about the bottom feeding, i just meant ill take any unwanted or small accounts if you come across some you dont want. i figured actually gaining a few accounts would help me to get out and get seen and talked about. i plan on doing the door hangers and business cards and i was also considering post cards with coupons/incentives on them. our report no later than date is 30 jan 2012. i might start changing things as soon as this season closes. i may change my name to something a little more professional as well.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
yeah i agree word of mouth is probably the most reliable. and the part about the bottom feeding, i just meant ill take any unwanted or small accounts if you come across some you dont want. i figured actually gaining a few accounts would help me to get out and get seen and talked about. i plan on doing the door hangers and business cards and i was also considering post cards with coupons/incentives on them. our report no later than date is 30 jan 2012. i might start changing things as soon as this season closes. i may change my name to something a little more professional as well.
I know all your equipment is new, but it will break down eventually. so maybe some of the guys closer to your new area can get you some names of dependable dealer/shops.

Getting out there is part of the challenge. You sound like you have the grasp of the business down. Just have to get out there and do it when you get here.