Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Im not saying it to sound arrogant. thats the point i keep trying to pass. I was just trying to separate myself from the ones that go around with their old rusty or homeowner grade equipment and call themselves a business owner. I have a license to operate, i have some of the equipment i have is 4 years old. but its professional equipment and taken care of and thats why it is still running. some other equipment i have recently replaced so thats why they are new. im not a guy with a dream and alot of money to just run around playing LCO. thats all i was saying. sorry however it came off. i know there are plenty of legit companies running with older equipment or trucks, and may look like they are low quality, yet do outstanding work. i was just saying my business is presentable as professional and thats how i like to keep it.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnEnforcement25 View Post
Im not saying it to sound arrogant. thats the point i keep trying to pass. I was just trying to separate myself from the ones that go around with their old rusty or homeowner grade equipment and call themselves a business owner. I have a license to operate, i have some of the equipment i have is 4 years old. but its professional equipment and taken care of and thats why it is still running. some other equipment i have recently replaced so thats why they are new. im not a guy with a dream and alot of money to just run around playing LCO. thats all i was saying. sorry however it came off. i know there are plenty of legit companies running with older equipment or trucks, and may look like they are low quality, yet do outstanding work. i was just saying my business is presentable as professional and thats how i like to keep it.

I am not after you about your equipment dude, LOL. I agree it will help your appearance.
What I was saying is that you will see a lot of different set ups down here that will make you shake your head. But the simple fact is that those guys are getting some business.
And again I was not sweating you on your equipment when I said see if you can get the heads up on local dealers before you get down here. Dealers are important people and can make or break your day. Your mower and sticks are used commonly down here so finding parts should not be a issue, but it could be different in your new location, worth making that relationship with your dealer as early as possible.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

i hear ya man. i appreciate the heads up. i will need a Deere dealer, Stihl dealer, Echo dealer, and a Dodge dealer. haha. i want to get more into servicing my own equipment so i can save a bit of money tuning up my handhelds. im not too knowledgeable about the 2 cycle engines. i know how to change spark plugs but i have attempted carb rebuild kits before with no success. not only that, but a couple handhelds i have are hard to start, and requiring alot of feathering the gas and choke to keep running. maybe i can make friends with a handyman around there that can give me good deals. or maybe another LCO will take me under his wing and show me how to tune up a carb and clean out the exhaust ports ;-)
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i hear ya man. i appreciate the heads up. i will need a Deere dealer, Stihl dealer, Echo dealer, and a Dodge dealer. haha. i want to get more into servicing my own equipment so i can save a bit of money tuning up my handhelds. im not too knowledgeable about the 2 cycle engines. i know how to change spark plugs but i have attempted carb rebuild kits before with no success. not only that, but a couple handhelds i have are hard to start, and requiring alot of feathering the gas and choke to keep running. maybe i can make friends with a handyman around there that can give me good deals. or maybe another LCO will take me under his wing and show me how to tune up a carb and clean out the exhaust ports ;-)
I am the same way with the equipment, not all that knowledgeable about it. I let the dealer take care of it for the most part. Works for me as long as it keeps me from having anymore down time than is needed. There is a lot to be said for that. While it would be great if I had the knowledge and the time to work on my own time to me that just means that I have more time that I could be taking care of a client. Generally it is worth it to me.

As far as a handyman or another LCO - that works. Several are just pricks and so insecure that you will harm their business they do not want to give you a hand, but some are nice folks and will help you along the way if you just ask.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah im not looking to kill anybody's business. i just need to get a foot in the door around there. my wife is in the AF and we are headed to eglin. everytime i get a decent job, i have to give it up. I am thinking about applying at the local police departments around there. thats one of my main passions, and the other would be working for myself. She makes enough money that i dont have to work if i dont want to, like im doing now. I was laid off in oct. from doing contract law enforcement on keesler AFB there in biloxi. i just decided i would stay home and keep our 1 and 3 year old and try and do a little business this season to make some decent spending cash. like i said, our necessities are taken care of by her income but it doesnt leave a whole lot for extras like eating out and movies.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
anyone have any advice? i have tried starting my business up now 2 different times at 2 different locations, and have to up and move after a couple of years. Im hoping to hit the ground running when i get there and establish something quick. Im just a single operation but i have brand new professional equipment and brand new truck. I know there are alot of companies in FL all trying to obtain the same thing so any info would be appreciated. ill bottom feed for a bit if i have to just to get a few accounts.
They say the Third Time is a charm.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

lets hope that rings true
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger