Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-31-2002, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler WB cut vs. Exmark WB cut

I was going to get Exmark Lazer HP next year but after hearing about the Hustler Gatemaster WB and I am now seriously thinking about buying that once I get a change to demo one when they come out next year. I do alot of yards with 36" - 42" gates with a 21". My strategy for next years was to try to get more acreage jobs vs. small yards but i think I will be switching my strategy to getting more small yards using the Gatemaster.

I have not demoed any type of Hustler so how is the cut compared to EXMARK? How are those motorcycle handle controls vs. Exmark ECS. Have not tried ECS WB controls yet?
Old 09-03-2002, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once you have used the Hustler H-Bar steering you will never go back to a pistol grip set up again.
The Exmark ECS system while it is better than the std pistol grip system, it is still a pistol grip set up, which means you are squeezing levers all day.
The H-Bar system works like a motorcycle grip, you twist it forward to go forward and the reverse for reverse, it is only spring loaded in reverse. Other than a hour learning curve at most, you will master this system quick, and love it.
I will put the cut quality of the Hustler against any mower on the market, and we will match it or beat it.
The GateMaster will have the second generation H-bar on it when they hit the market, this system has a cruise control and parking brake built into the H-Bar

Hope this helps
Pj
Old 09-03-2002, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

H BAR

Why didn't you Put the H Bar On Your new Z. thank you john.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The H-Bar started on our Shortcut rider back in 97
It migrated to our 3000 series front mount diesel mowers in 99 along with our walk behind that year also.
The H-bar was not meant for a compact mid mount rider, it would get in the way when mounting and dismounting the mower.
We also wanted to go with a industry accepted steering set-up.
This is why we use the twin lever steering seen on our Hustler Z's and Super Z's, but we had to better that system also by adding a integrated parking brake, and making the effort to operate the levers very minimal

Later
Pj
Old 09-07-2002, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When the Gatemaster is ready for sale in January or ? I have a few suggestions or laundry list of things to inform us about.

1. Price.
2. Size(s) cut., engine options.
3. Warranty on various parts of mower. Since this mower is new design will there be some type of special warranty on the flipping arm mechanism or other parts that are unique to this mower.
4. Any special financing deals (i.e. 12 months no interest).
5. Option and prices (mulch kit, bagger,etc.)
6. Show the most current pictures if something has changed since the last time you shown pictures.
7. List what if anything you have changed since you did more field testing since the show where you had the pro-type.
8. It would be nice to have specs for the mower on the company web site (i.e. weight,width,length,height,cutting heights,tip speed, etc).
9. Since deck flips 90 degrees is there any special maintenance related to flipping deck such as buying belts more often or servicing the flipping arm mechanism.

My biggest concern is being the first year of a new type mower and company support to fix design flaws quickly with recalls. Hopefully there would be none but you never know with first year models.

I will be hold off buying a new Exmark 36" walkbehind until I test the Gatemaster.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You must realize that the GateMaster is a prototype.
I can not answer any of the questions you asked until it is released from engineering and testing.
I can tell you that you will see it here first, when new info does become available.
Be patient, it will be worth the wait

Later
Pj
Old 09-07-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew you couldn't answer many questions now and that's why I said when it is ready for sale in January that was my laundry list of questions.