Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Early Zoysia Question

I went by today and look at a new account for this year. The lawn is Emerald Zoysia that was laid last March. A few areas in the lawn didn't grow very well last season and the growth is spotty. I talked to the homeowner about replacing these areas, and they wanted to just let it fill in on its own. This will be my first lawn with EZ and was wondering how fast EZ spreads? Most of the growth is spaced about 4 inches apart. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Probably won't be fast enough for H.O. Personally I would make some big plugs from sod. Customer sounds like another misinformed H.O. that thinks Zoysia is a miracle cultivar that would grow on anything. It was probably cut too soon or watered too much early on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As well as not fertilized after it was laid. I do not know how it is done elsewhere. But over here, I treat newly laid sod with a liquid containing biostimulants, some NPK and micronutrients. Zoysia is also not a miracle grass that will grow even if it is starved. I get so sick of hearing that horse manure. If someone mentions thatch, Emerald zoysia will not thatch if it is kept cut at less than 3/4 inch with a reel mower.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ref,
Besides this species being called the cadillac of Zoysia, it has limits. It is subject to leaf spot, dollar spot, brown patch and thatch is overfertilized. It is a slow grower and has low growing habits. As far as growing back in after damage, it is best to resod those areas rather than plugging them. With 4 inch recovery growth in a season, that is all you may get for speed. Golf courses here are using it in the fairways and in adjacent homes built on the course. Lower maintenance is required with the areas of over all cost. Repairs to damaged zoysia is always dealt with by replacement pieces and not plugs.
There is no way to detect what may have happened to this clients lawn. Dead spots can be winter injury, misused herbicides to control crabgrass, lack of water during last seasons droughts, and or improper installation or wrong site placement.
If this customer isn't wanting to repair the damage, then be assured there will be weed out breaks and all you can do it is mow as usual.