Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Truck - Bed Slide

I love my bed slide. I was out cleaning my garage and organizing stuff a little bit the other day. And I decided to take a few photos of my bed slide and the way I store my tools, just to share with you fine folks.

Most of the boxes here are for irrigation, but not all. All the black and yellow ones on the right are nozzle boxes. Two of the regular sized tool boxes on the left (there are 3, hard to see the last one) are for irrigation (tools, spare parts, flags, etc.) and the last tool box way in the back that you can't see is full of outdoor lighting stuff (lamps, wire, hubs, connectors, etc.). Then there in the middle are my everyday tools like a hand pump, measuring wheel, paint sprayer (I use that several times every day), box of marking paint, jumper cables, irrigation key, water meter key, and an auto mechanics floor pad (for my knees - hehe - I know, I'm a wuss). Also difficult to see way in the back are; a rain bird box full of spare valves, 4" spray heads, 6" spray heads, and 12" spray heads and a very small tool box that is just for small pieces of hardware, electrical fittings, nails, screws, hooks, etc.

I should take a photo of my rear seats so you guys can see my rolling mobile office. That's pretty sweet, too, IMHO.

Anyway, it's kinda nice because the rubber mat keeps everything from sliding around. And the bed stops at two different positions too. The best part is I can slide it all in under the Tonneau cover and nobody usually suspects that I have a few grand in tools and parts back there.

'Course this set up is just for what I would need. I don't do a whole lot of hands on work anymore. You can tell by the fact that there is no shovel there. But I do like to keep all the parts and tools handy for in case I get to a job and I find that we need a 6" or 12" instead of a 4". Or maybe we need a SAM head or maybe a valve or a module for a controller. Instead of driving to the store, I just have all that common stuff handy. Also in case I am at a clients house and there is just a quick simple repair needed, I am set up to do it on the spot. I do have some small hand shovels in there for that kinda stuff.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my setup in my own personal rig with you all.

Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 01-29-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another recent photo of my baby........

Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have 25 of those stanley boxes jim, irrigation, leak detection, electrical and repair parts. three of them have nothing but bolts and screws in them.

i love my stanley boxes
Old 01-29-2011, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, they rock. Last forever too. I've had those for years and they still work perfect every time. Only thing that sucks is if you spill one when the lid is open or if you thought the lid was closed all the way and it wasn't and you go to lift it up. I do that at least once every year. I freakin' HATE it. It's usually because one of my Yahoo employees left it shut, but the locking part on front not 100% closed when they got done with it. So then when I go to load it back up in my truck all the nozzles fall out. Nothing pisses me off more than when my guys don't take care of my personal stuff right. Because I shut those things securely every time I'm doing using them. But they don't always do that.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Yah, they rock. Last forever too. I've had those for years and they still work perfect every time. Only thing that sucks is if you spill one when the lid is open or if you thought the lid was closed all the way and it wasn't and you go to lift it up. I do that at least once every year. I freakin' HATE it. It's usually because one of my Yahoo employees left it shut, but the locking part on front not 100% closed when they got done with it. So then when I go to load it back up in my truck all the nozzles fall out. Nothing pisses me off more than when my guys don't take care of my personal stuff right. Because I shut those things securely every time I'm doing using them. But they don't always do that. ???????
i'm sure that you would never accidently grab one up without making sure the lid was secure, i know that never happens to me.......if it ever did i prolly would do something like always point my index finger straight which would trap the lid when i picked the box up, but since that doesn't happen........i would never think of something like that
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Each of our trucks carries 4 of those Stanley boxes (or whatever brand they are). 3 are for nozzles, and one is for drip - emitters, microsprays, 1/4" couplers, etc. They work great. I actually have 2 more on my truck. One has some bonnets, poppets, and miscellaneous small backflow parts. The other has the more common copper and cast fittings that I use. I'll find a photo or two of my bed slide out for the Ranger.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a bedslide as well Jim. Have had one on my past two trucks. Would never own a truck without one. Yours looks similar to my first one. They modified the handle on the second one to make it easier to use one hand operation on pulling it out and pushing it in.
Here I am loaded down for my epic camp and sight see trip through the eastern USA.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^look like you packed everything but the kitchen sink!

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's a bad ass setup!! Simple and effective
Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your beer to water ratio is off..