Register free!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Free citrus

How many of you guys get free citrus off of your accounts? Friday I picked up tangerines, grapefruit, Tangelos and even some pomelo. Nothing like an ice cold Tangerine right off the tree at the first stop in the morning.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zturn

I am lucky to have several Orange Trees and a Tangerine tree in my yard. I believe Joel of Other Side Sod is on the east side of the Kings hwy and you are on the west. So I am familar with your area. All up and down Kings Hwy are a number of groves. I Learned to squeeze Orange juice Outside where a water hose can clean it up a long time ago. It is actually a lot of work to Squeeze oranges and the juice gets on every thing. Of course I have the Homeowner squeezer that holds a 1/2 gallon and must be emptied often

For the uninformed Northerners reading here. Desoto County has more acres in Commercial citrus than any other county in Florida. From the Middle of December to late April or early May Citrus of one kind or another is being harvested.

It is the Goal of every snowbird retiree to have a house on the water with a boat that cost more than the house at the dock. Of course a swimming pool and the BIGGIE several citrus trees.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
How many of you guys get free citrus off of your accounts? Friday I picked up tangerines, grapefruit, Tangelos and even some pomelo. Nothing like an ice cold Tangerine right off the tree at the first stop in the morning.
hope the owners let you or told you it was ok..Most around here would get mad because of having only a few of each kind of trees they want the fruit off of it for themself.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howierd3866 View Post
hope the owners let you or told you it was ok..Most around here would get mad because of having only a few of each kind of trees they want the fruit off of it for themself.
howierd

I believe it was your area that had Citrus Canker Scare a few years back. That was when the state came and removed all Citrus trees any where near a canker scare area.

While it might be a big deal in your area. Our area has so many Door Yard (meaning homeowner) Trees that Fruit is laying all over the ground and the rats are well fed. There is a CPO in my area who does nothing but take care of Door Yard Citrus trees for homeowners. His special niche market and he doesn't do any other pest control work because he networks with other CPOs.

This year I didn't jump on the orange juice wagon like I have in the past. I got the Krude this year because I didn't. Next year I will know better and start early with My Vitamin C

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
How many of you guys get free citrus off of your accounts?
I have one older couple that love to give me oranges. They are kind of like your grandparents in that they think if you do not eat what they are giving you that you will waste away to nothing.

They are the only home that I have that has a tree that they actually take care of. Most of my accounts do not have trees that produces oranges yet, most the others are actually people from out of state like ric said that come here and the first dang thing they plant is a orange tree. But unfortunately most of them never do anything with them after the first season when their tree had not grown 9 foot and suddenly produced oranges for them.
I do have one home similar to which is talking about where nobody does anything with the trees at all. Nice full size trees, one orange and one grapefruit....all the oranges and grapefruit fall all over the ground. When I leave that lawn I have a very citrus smelling mower.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I believe Joel of Other Side Sod is on the east side of the Kings hwy and you are on the west"

Yes, I am just to the west of him.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howierd3866 View Post
Yes they are quite aware of my free citrus, some of these trees are 12' to 15' tall. On some accounts I clean it up and haul it off by the wheel barrow load. I am originally from Sarasota where I worked in the nursery and landscape business as well as property maintenace. Never much to pick up there as they usually would use it up or give to friends or family.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
"I believe Joel of Other Side Sod is on the east side of the Kings hwy and you are on the west"

Yes, I am just to the west of him.
Zturn

I network with Joel and do some of his in town spraying. Kind of Funny that he hires me to do back pack spraying when he has large boom sprayers that are GPS guided. But he doesn't have a Commercial L&O. He is a Good guy and y'alls area is very beautiful with all the Large Live Oaks. Your location is good in the fact you can go Hwy 70 or kings hwy. to two different market areas.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not seen a citrus tree since Jeb Bush's citrus patrol cut them all down.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have not seen a citrus tree since Jeb Bush's citrus patrol cut them all down.
Tallrick

I believe it was Ft Liquiordale North to the Treasure Coast that the Gestapo showed their best work. I was told each tree crew was assigned a State trooper and any homeowner who argued had to appear before a judge. The interesting thing was in my area the State reimbursed homeowner with a $ 50.00 Gift Certificate from none other that WALLY WORLD. I have alway had a hard time accepting that one as not being a Pay off deal of some kind.

Bottom line of the Big Canker scare. 85% or more of the trees had a curable fungus and were misdiagnosed. You hear nothing about Citrus Canker today.