I use Nextel and like it. 42 59.15%
I use Nextel and don't like it 4 5.63%
I do not have Nextel but want one. 14 19.72%
I do not have Nextel and do not want one. 9 12.68%
I ain't never heard of no such animal! 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2002, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't drop calls in our market, but it is a small market. We have our people in other states using them too, but in more populated areas they can be a pain. We used them in Salt Lake City and didn't have any problems, although Nextel told us we might.

Unfortunately, for our landscape and local snowplowing business we have found them to be indespensible and have become very used to them. And, they ain't a cheap date - but sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ive tried two services out here in stanley. verison,and i think it was called alltell.
niether gave adequate service.
location is the reason from what i hear.
be nice to call the elderly before i get there on new or one time customers.
once had a lady call the sheriff and her son,to come take care of the stranger.
she had alshiemers and didnt remember callin me.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have tried them all and have found nextel to haVE the best service in my area. No matter where we go, nextel is there.

Even if it does cost alittle more....how good do you feel when you save three bucks and have no signal when you really need it?

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 09-07-2002, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have one and love it.. however, coverage varies by location.

There is a group around here that will let you try um for a week with a full refund if you do not like them..

jf
Old 09-08-2002, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

You gotta love next tell. Little pricing but it seems most contracters are using them and the direct connect is very useful.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all your responses. I am using this to get a point across to my accountant. She thinks it is too pricey just to be able to talk on th radio but I am trying to make her understand that the radio cuts down on using Cell Phone minutes and therefore it actualy could save money in the long run.

I think I am right on this matter. Does most everyone agree?

Old 09-13-2002, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

In my area the cell minutes are 30 cents and direct connect are 15 cents . Go figure.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:31 PM
Lawnsite Addict

it all depends on the plan you use. my direct connect minutes are unlimited along with all the other units we have (i think it's 8 now) plus I have free incomming cell and 1000 minutes a month, other units are unlimited direct connect and 200 minutes cell with unlimited incomming. all this for under $500 a month
Old 09-15-2002, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah our company uses NEXTEL phones. I want to tell you about 6 years ago I would have ran them all over with my F800 if I didnt have any patience. Today they have improved totally and they are great. We run about 9 phones all with the 2way built in. They make comunicating a breeze. NEXTEL has come a long way. Thank God.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

NEXTEL IS THE BEST!

NEXTEL IS THE BEST - barnone.

I am not sure that I agree that they are really more expensive. They seem to be pretty affordable to me. Like Paul, I do the free incoming 1000 plan which means all my incoming calls are free. And since about 75% of my 4000 or so minutes per month are incoming, this works out VERY well. With any other company I'd be paying through the roof for this many minutes.

I also have free nights and weekends. So that helps. So I basically only pay addionally for outgoing calls over 1000 minutes made on weekdays.

For my employees, we pay $39 per month. We never go over the two-way minutes. That's like next to impossible. And my employees understand that if they go over their cell minutes they have to pay for it out of their paycheck. And that seldom happens. They are to be working, not talking on the phone. And they seem to understand that. I allow them to use it for personal use if they want but they understand that with their calling plan, we will never go over the minutes because of work related conversations. We just don't chat on the cell phone with each other much. So if they go over, it's their fault because they used it personally too much. And they just pay for it. But, like I said, that rarely happens.

Another great thing about Nextel is they charge by the second. So a 15 second phone call counts just for 15 seconds. Whereas, with other companies that counts as 1 minute. So 1000 minutes on a Nextel is more like 1500 on any other cell phone.

All and all, we pay between $300 and $500 per month for this service. 6 phones total.

Also, I will have say I have the exact opposite experience of Lanelle. The one thing I love about Nextels is that I ALWAYS get perfect reception everywhere I go. I've never had that with any other company. I used to drop calls like crazy with other companies. Now, I never drop a call. Perfect reception.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 09-19-2002 at 07:03 PM.