I do not have Nextel and do not want one. 9 12.68%
I ain't never heard of no such animal! 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2002, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: NEXTEL IS THE BEST!

Quote:
Originally posted by jimlewis

Another great thing about Nextel is they charge by the second. So a 15 second phone call counts just for 15 seconds. Whereas, with other companies that counts as 1 minute.
FYI:
Nextel has a 1 minute minimum.
Nextel DOES bill by the second AFTER 1 minute.

SO:
A 66 second phone call is billed as 1.1 minutes, whereas most other cell carriers (used to) charge for a full 2 minutes.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

WARNING: Boring, geeky background information

Nextel uses a proprietary signal format from Motorola called iDEN. No one else uses it. There is no analog system for Nextel phones to fall back to when the digital signal is weak, so you will find dead zones. This is particularly a problem in large urban areas where the lease costs and environmental impact issues limit the system build-out density.

Most other carriers either have or lease access to older analog networks to back up their digital systems, and many have interoperability agreements to provide access to each others analog systems.

There are a series of major shifts going on in the industry as new technology (called 3G for third generation) starts to roll out. It is stymied by the growing recognition that there aren't many customers that really want to browse the Internet on their phones (for example). At the same time there is a shake-out happening among the second generation technologies. AT&T Wireless is converting from IS-136 (a North American standard) to GSM (the world standard). Verizon uses CDMA (found in the US, China, places in S. America). I think Cingular is GSM.

The technology is not all that important at the consumer level, but it is critical to the wireless companies (consider spares, interoperability, availability of technical support including staff, and the ability to offer the capabilities that customers are willing to pay for). It is much like the Scag versus Exmark discussion -- at the end of the day, they both cut the grass.

Only CDMA and iDEN systems have the "many-to-many" switching capability (that Nextel calls direct connect). I don't know of any wireless providers selling it on CDMA, but Qualcomm does sell portable CDMA-based phone systems to the USMC that have it (a mobile cell site built into the back of HUMMMV).

Nextel really has done a tremendous job of capturing the small business market with direct connect, and the networks they have set up that you can join, particularly for contracting trades, will make penetration by other wireless companies really hard.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's still a mixed bag for me. As was stated by dave-man, there are issues with dropped cell and dropped direct connect. Except for one area that I work, I've been happy with the service. Even in the area I have trouble with, verizon had it's problems also.

I do like the fact that I can direct connect with my wife right now (over 200 miles away) and not pay any extra fees other than the regular plan fees.
John
Old 09-22-2002, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I here to many, Can you hear me now when talking on nextel
Old 09-30-2002, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Washington Post article about technology shifts in cell-phones -- not much about Nextel ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Sep28.html
Old 10-02-2002, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a nextel for a year while I worked part time construction, There were things I loved about, things I hated.

good
indestructable phone (i700) I can break anything
direct connect is cool and quick
free incoming calls

bad
horrible service, northern VA, alexandria primarily
heavy, large phone
expensive

I'm not full time, and I don't talk to many other contractors other than my company people that I worked part time for. the service coverage was very shoddy, and considering nextel is headquatered 15 miles away, I expect better. I think if you work construction, especially, you need a nextel.

I'm with verizon now, and I think I get a better deal cause I use it mostly for personal use. i get free nights and weekends, and basically unlimitted calls to other verizon subscribers. If you mainly talk to only your employees I think verizon would be a good option. The coverage is also EXCELLENT
Old 10-02-2002, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim Lewis mirrors us. We have 5 units of our own, and 2 employees have their own,we just program in their id code(BTW, Fireman get 10% off!). We also pay only $39.99/mo for employees, if they want to upgrade their plan, they pay diff + any overages. Other than a few areas that "fishbowl", they're great. You can also program in a lot of your subcontractors, suppliers, and or other contacts.

Bob

I forgot to add, we started w/ Ravens = large GI fieldbox no retracting antenna and non destructable, now have all 700's except wife who has daintier model.