Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

opinions needed

Not sure if this is correct place to post new thread but need any opinions on these pics of 1 718 grasshopper front mount mower with 61" deck,has 1150hrs running condition mostly cosmetic and has had maint done by local dealer this i know for sure just not allowed any info thats not mine on description of what has been performed in past also 1 718 grasshopper front mount mower with 52" deck about same hours and cosmectic for most part missing motor and few minor pieces that im sure of. If any one can help with opinions based on pics and what is in post of what i should be offering for these machines it would be a great help. Low funded for new operation but seem like good deal even for used if price is right. Thanks for any help Jeremy
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

If anybody can help with price please email me dixonslawncare@yahoo.com
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

i honestly dont see alot of worth in that machine. maybe a few hundred at most. all the rust, hours, condition would make me run away from this buy. it looks like it has been sitting up for a while which would make me thing he knows something major is wrong with it. whens the last time he started it? does he winterize it before storage or just leave the old gas in it? all these things would factor into the decision. just my opinion.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy dixon View Post
Not sure if this is correct place to post new thread but need any opinions on these pics of 1 718 grasshopper front mount mower with 61" deck,has 1150hrs running condition mostly cosmetic and has had maint done by local dealer this i know for sure just not allowed any info thats not mine on description of what has been performed in past also 1 718 grasshopper front mount mower with 52" deck about same hours and cosmectic for most part missing motor and few minor pieces that im sure of. If any one can help with opinions based on pics and what is in post of what i should be offering for these machines it would be a great help. Low funded for new operation but seem like good deal even for used if price is right. Thanks for any help Jeremy
also, this just doesnt make sense. WTF are you talking about not being allowed info on something thats not yours? how are we supposed to give you any info if you are forbidden to give us info about a mower? its not a classified document. its a ragged mower. this whole post stinks to high heaven.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawnenforcement as far as the info at dealer i was told that it belonged to other local company before and outside of the reg maint schedule wich was done at the times needed that they couldn't tell me who had owned it before also the machine is winterized and was started recently about two weeks ago when i was there, it started up fine no smoke or other noises that it should make other than that yes it has rust but not rusted through which if needed i can weld myself. I know this isn't as much info realy need just what i got, but in your honest opinion would 1700.00 be to much for both units-like i said earlier im short funded and want to start slow and build before laying down 10.000 plus to go out on my own while i have current job and do this full time. Hope the extra info will be able to tell me if my offer of 1700.00 would be to much. Thanks Jeremy
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

$1700 is a decent starting point. i would still leave these 2 units alone. one has no engine and the other just doesnt look savory....to me anyways. if everything is in mechanical and functional order, it may be worth $1,000-1500 but i am not the best at pricing used equipment. if i were you, i would look for a good used walk behind and use that to generate a little more revenue. put a decent amount of money into your handhelds. Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Redmax, all good names in my opinion. i personally ran echo for my first 4 years and am slowly going to stihl. i just see more people with them, and hear better things about them. if i had 1700, thats what i would do. put 800-1000 in the used walk behind, 225-300 in a good straight shaft trimmer, and 300-350 in a good curved shaft edger. straight shaft edgers have more torque, but less head speed. in other words, a straight shaft edger would be more useful at the beginning of the year when the edging is a little overgrown, but as far as bi-weekly maintenance, the higher rpms on a curved shaft will cut the grass better than the slower blade on the straight shaft.
curved shafted trimmers just give people back aches. so go straight with the string trimmer. you should have your work cut out for you know. let me know if i can be of any more help.
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't like it at $1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy dixon View Post
That mower has been through hell and back. I could probably get $1500 for it but have to buy it at $1200 to make it worth my while. These Grasshoppers are expensive to repair and pretty finicky. I like 'em, don't get me wrong, and they have a cult following of sorts with a segment of the buying public. But you gotta keep it on the cheap with these older Hoppers or you'll find yourself owning a money pit real quick.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnEnforcement25 View Post
... i would still leave these 2 units alone. one has no engine and the other just doesnt look savory ...
My thoughts exactly !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's hard to tell from just pictures, but that mower looks like it has rust in places it shouldn't be. I suspect it has probably never been stored indoors. That's just not good for stuff. I think I would heed the advice that has already been given and look elsewhere. If you are just starting out, my advice is to look at used walk-behinds. You can really generate some revenue. Then, after you are doing good and have some money in the bank, start shopping for a ZTR. If, that is, you are even still interested in one at that point.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, I forgot to mention: I think a 18 hp motor is too small for a mower that big. It's heavy, and it has a 61" deck. It definitely needs something bigger to power it, especially in thick and/or wet grass.