Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Successful marketing ideas for cheap/free

all right, this is my first post so here it goes:
this will be my second year in the mowing business, and have invested all of last years income to better equipment. Im 17 and was wondering what marketing ideas have worked for you guys that are low cost or free. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Craigslist, Newspaper ad, door hangers, rock and card in a ziplock bag(just joking). Check out adeas printing on here, they have some good deals on door hangers. Go put business cards at the pickup counter in some local restraunts. Vinyl signs on your truck. All of these can be done for less than $200 and are somewhat effective.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

what would you say about maybe turning a door hanger into a candy gram? Like incorporate a small size candy bar on it with some quirky saying such as "let me make your lawn worth 100 GRAND" ?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i wouldnt. just not practical.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

when you say practical, do you mean as in time wise to go through the work of preparing the hangers, or what do you mean?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where a cape on broadway with your phone number on the back of a case of beer.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Word of mouth is the best and cheapest. The problem is most guys don't work the word of mouth. Meaning you must deliberately be getting the word out. I take deliberate action every day to talk to two people who are in a position to refer work to me. I don'r focus on clients because they don't come into enough contact with enough people to do me much good. I focus on other people who are servicing my type of clients like pool guys, maids, irrigation repair guys, install contractors who don't do maint, landscape architects and designers. All these people have the potential to talk to several people a day who may want my service so its important that they think of me if an opportunity comes up.

I do my best to remind them I'm around without being too much of a pest. I send them all monthly newsletters and do my best to run into them at industry events or supply houses or just give them a call to ask how things are going for them. When they do send me a referral I be sure to reward them with a gift card even a simple $5 Starbucks card goes a long way.

The key to this is to be deliberate you can't just contact someone once and hope they remember you. Make a point of talking to 2 people every single day that can send you work. My business grew 30% last year and this was my primary method and I am no low baller. I am usually 30-50% higher than their existing provider when I bid.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Great thank you. Im curious how you go about sending the monthly newsletter. could you possibly add me to your mailing list so i can get an idea of what the content is. I'll PM you my email if i can figure out how to PM
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer referral incentives work great, as long as you do them right. Marketing is not cheap and wont be but can be looked at as an investment. You can make flyers pretty cheap but I prefer a door hanger or post card. Try gotprint.com for door hangers, they are the cheapest I have found.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateturner View Post
Great thank you. Im curious how you go about sending the monthly newsletter. could you possibly add me to your mailing list so i can get an idea of what the content is. I'll PM you my email if i can figure out how to PM
The newsletter is just a newsletter I write and send out primarily to my existing clients to let them know what is going on in the landscape this month. What we are fertilizing, what gets trimmed, how we are adjusting the irrigation controllers that kind of thing. When an evangelist (someone who is spreading the news about our company) gets it it is just another reminder that we are there. Sometimes they learn something too.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”

Tags
marketing