Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's 1/2 acre and more? What's more? 30,000? 40,000?

If you can use this ztr on most of your lawns you are definately going to speed your production up over walking them, biggest thing is that you aren't going to be dead at the end of the day.

Look close at the walkers, but think about the grass you are picking up. How are you going to handle the clippings? They certinaly pose more of an issue than a machine with regular bags that can just be picked up to dump in your truck bed.

as for a midmount ztr, I'd look at Toro, Exmark, Grasshopper, Hustler?, and whatever else is avaialble close to you. A commercial mower with a PLASTIC blower fan? Have you seen one, with the center bag area blocked off to make the wierdest catcher design ever... (talking about the kubota).
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes a Z will increase your productivity after you get used to operating it. And ask yourself if you feel like doing anything else after a days work. You'll have more energy and less tired. Work is great but play time is much needed in my book.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not just time, you use alot less energy on a ztr. And alot less beating on your knees and hips. Landscaping is a very physical job and you need to preserve your body where ypou can. The problem with the ztr is the rutting issues, and people not learning how to turn them properly without tearing up the turf.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know beating the dead horse but alot of the older crowd simply hate ZTRs. I've seen some very frugal managers require 21" push mowers because a LCO wouldn't compromise.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Our 36 WBs are our workhorses. I've got a walker mulcher, and it's convenient when I'm by myself, but gates require me to pull another mower off the truck. My next buy is another tbar WB. All day long.

For some of our slightly larger properties and commercial, I love the walker, but speed wise (its an older one) I wish I could pick it up. Leaves a beautiful cut, but I feel at a loss of efficiency.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
Its not just time, you use alot less energy on a ztr. And alot less beating on your knees and hips. Landscaping is a very physical job and you need to preserve your body where ypou can. The problem with the ztr is the rutting issues, and people not learning how to turn them properly without tearing up the turf.
And a lot more beating on your tailbone, back, neck, and shoulders. Which is one of the factors contributing to me trading in my 48" ZTR for a new 36" hydro walk-behind last year. Yes, my feet are a little more tired at the end of the day, but I don't wake up with my back hurting either. Once you get back problems, they are very hard to deal with.

Was the ZTR fast? Yes. But the walk-behind with a sulky is just as fast on the properties I service, which are typically 1/3 acre and less. The walk behind also gives you an amazing option: to actually WALK behind it, allowing you to shove the deck under shrubs, bushes, low-hanging tree limbs, etc. Saving trimmer time. And I, for one, despise trimmer time.

This is not to say that I will never own another ZTR. But I will never give up my walk-behinds. They are just too handy.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
And a lot more beating on your tailbone, back, neck, and shoulders. Which is one of the factors contributing to me trading in my 48" ZTR for a new 36" hydro walk-behind last year. Yes, my feet are a little more tired at the end of the day, but I don't wake up with my back hurting either. Once you get back problems, they are very hard to deal with.

Was the ZTR fast? Yes. But the walk-behind with a sulky is just as fast on the properties I service, which are typically 1/3 acre and less. The walk behind also gives you an amazing option: to actually WALK behind it, allowing you to shove the deck under shrubs, bushes, low-hanging tree limbs, etc. Saving trimmer time. And I, for one, despise trimmer time.

This is not to say that I will never own another ZTR. But I will never give up my walk-behinds. They are just too handy.
Well said!
I would not say I would not like to have a zero turn, but from frugality standpoint WB would be better. In the early spring when it is still rainy that ZTR may have to ride the pine in a res yard. These thing aren't hard to make ruts or stick, and when you get stuck you will need another ZTR or your truck pull it out. But then again, you are in UT and I'm not sure of the rain amounts you guys get.

I will say that its your hard earned money and you do whatever is in your best interest and makes you happy! It may be real beneficial to you.
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, that was another reason I switched to a walk-behind: weight. Here, in the land of Bermuda, the grass gets pretty crispy during the dry times. Any mower will make tracks, or ruts. ANY mower. The trick is to keep them to a minimum, and a lightweight machine (along with constantly switching mower patterns, making sure to never put the tires in the same track twice) is the key. I ride behind my walk-behind, but my weight is on the sulky wheels, not the mower wheels, as with an already-heavy ZTR.

Now, I know up north, many properties are larger than most of mine. And if I were there, I would probably look at getting a large ZTR with a suspension seat. But, for me and the smaller properties I service, the walk-behind seems to work out better.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
you cant get a good collection system for a stander. A ZTR would upgrade from a 36wb would be a huge production boost for you. Anybody who says otherwise just doesnt run a ztr. I wouldnt be in this business without one.
I agree & most of my accounts are 1/4 - 1/6 of an acre.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your making $350 a day, you dont need a ztr. I have over 30 residential and 4 small commercial and I can get them all done in 3 days working 6-8hours/day and all this with a 36'' toro wb.