Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, reread the post. Op states it happens on the trimmers that are on the trailer between yards. Does this mean everytime he racks a trimmer it is ground down to a nub?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually blame low quality line for problem. I run Desert Vortex line and don't have welding problems. The stock strong that comes in my Stihl weedwackers is terrible. The Echo crossfire was pretty good if you kept the reel of line in a bucket of water, otherwise it dried out and got really brittle.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Ok, reread the post. Op states it happens on the trimmers that are on the trailer between yards. Does this mean everytime he racks a trimmer it is ground down to a nub?
Nope. But who checks to make sure there's enough line or that the line hasn't welded before they put a trimmer away? People usually start a trimmer up and then check the line.

"Uh oh. It's welded again. How does that keep happening when the trimmer is in the rack?"

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could also be overthreading it or overlapping it .Keep the string going in a straight line around the spool no criss cross.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How tight are you winding the line in the head? Usually that is the only time we have any issues. The string in the head is going to do the same thing no matter how long the string is sticking out on the head. But when there is more string sticking out the easier it will be for it to come out when the head is bumped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmark user View Post
You could also be overthreading it or overlapping it .Keep the string going in a straight line around the spool no criss cross.
I have to agree. Most likely it's not the trimmer line, it's how it's being wound onto the spool in the first place.

I've used probably a dozen different brands of line over the years and very very rarely have had a 'welding' issue with any of them. Some wear too fast, some fray on the ends, some are shaped so they wobble up and down almost like the shape of the line is acting like the wing of an airplane and creating lift. I have spools of line in my garage that I've tried and found to not work for me. One brand of line works fine on one trimmer and doesn't on the next trimmer. It's crazy, I know...

Another thing that causes the line to weld is running the trimmer at WOT all the time. Yes, I know the mfg. and your dealer recommend that and say it's better for the engine, but I call BS on that whole theory. I've been running mine with only as much throttle as necessary to do the job for as long as I've been running trimmers and I've never had one overheat and seize up as they claim could happen.

Currently I've been using the Echo crossfire .095 line and have had good luck. Previously I was using shakespere extreme .080.

Worst line I've ever bought is the Stihl .095. Sadly I bought a 5 pound spool! That crap wore off faster than any line I've ever used in my life. I swear it would wear off just spinning in the air! So now I have a $65 spool of line that is just sitting. I refuse to use it as I don't enjoy reloading the spool every day! there was a few times I didn't even make it thru a full day! With most lines I've used I can go almost a full week on a spool!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
Had the same problem after I hired a helper. Myself, I've used miles of the Echo Crossfire line on their bumpheads without a problem. After I saw what Richard experienced, and I explained the principles of centrifical force to the helper, we didn't have that problem again either. (Now he goes through line like I own stock in Echo.)
LOL The Fear!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a week on a spool! How many yards do you do. During peak season I will do 9 or 10 per day and go through about 1.5 spools each day...am i the only one or does that sound about right. I try not to run my stuff WOT but i also do a lot around brick work and I edge, so that may be the differnce??
Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a echo speed loader head. Do around 8-10 yards a day, and get a couple days per spool. Must times i advance line by mistake. bumping the ground. I'm a solo. i buy the 3lb spools. think its.095?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I think the round lines without the edges tend to weld together less. The Husqvarna silver colored line like can be found at Lowes lasts a long time and feeds fine in a Speed-Feed 450 head.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"