Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Nimblewill!!

So I've got a bunch of numblewill in my own yard and I'm wondering how to get around the ol' glyphosate it all and reseed in fall. Is there any hope in trying to seed it and reseed it and reseed it, and hopefully choke out the nimblewill with new grass plants? Or is it a glyphosate and start totally over again? I would really like to at least have some green as opposed to go through a season with a RoundUp'd yard all year. Any experience with this specific weed would help.

I haven't had to deal with this weed much so far, so any advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Multiple apps of imprelis would be the way to go - it might keep the nimblewill at bay and keep it dormant. As long as you are growing fescue or BG the imprelis should keep most other weeds at bay and they say tests have shown it also 'helps' supress bermuda and crab. But it is by no means a total pre for CG but will supress it if you use 4 oz per acre every 60 days.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

tenacity will kill nimblewill with 1 application.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tenacity is the best way to go assuming the labeling allows for treatment where you would like to apply it. Last I knew they were close to having it labeled for home lawn use. But, they have been close for a couple years. I have been told you need more than one application via a Turf Seminar ar Purdue. As I recall it was three apps a couple weeks apart in the fall did the trick. I wouldn't go by that as always read the label and talk to your distributor or other source with more info than me!

I have one lawn where we killed it off and reseeded. It will be back this year so I am also hoping to use Tenacity on it.

If noweedshere used it once and got results than that is even better.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Multiple apps of imprelis would be the way to go - it might keep the nimblewill at bay and keep it dormant. As long as you are growing fescue or BG the imprelis should keep most other weeds at bay and they say tests have shown it also 'helps' supress bermuda and crab. But it is by no means a total pre for CG but will supress it if you use 4 oz per acre every 60 days.
1. imprelis is an endocrine disrupter, endocrine disrupters disrupt the endocrine system, they are poisons

2. do not treat near or on anything that animals may eat, like deer walking through your yard and munching on your turf

3. it is extremely toxic to fish

4. do not apply near any water

5. you will smoke your shrubs and trees with imprelis

6. do not apply near annuals

7. DO NOT support du pont, they have enough money and have killed enough people

7. ARE YOU F' ING CRAZY

Apply IMPRELIS™ herbicide in a manner that will avoid contacting nearby susceptible crops or other desirable plants with spray droplets. Applications must be made only when the risk of spray drift is at a minimum. Very small quantities of spray, which may not be visible, may seriously injure susceptible plants including ornamental trees and shrubs. Do not apply when the wind will carry spray mist toward susceptible crops or ornamental plants. Maintain a 25-foot buffer around non-target aquatic areas and between the point of direct application and the closest downwind edge of non-target terrestrial areas. Apply only using nozzles which will deliver coarse or greater (VMD >250 microns) droplets as defined by ASABE S572 standard. Do not apply with a nozzle height greater than 4 feet above the ground or crop canopy. Do not apply when wind speed is greater than 10 mph. Do not apply during a temperature inversion Do not apply to any ornamental bed.
• Do not apply this product directly to, or allow spray drift to come in contact with, ornamental groundcovers, foliage plants, flowers, trees, shrubs, nearby crop plants or other desirable plants; or to the soil where potentially sensitive plants will be planted during the same season.
• Do not exceed specified application rates for any area and particular care must be taken within the dripline of trees and shrubs or other ornamental plants.
• Do not apply where runoff or irrigation water may flow onto susceptible turfgrass, ornamental plants or crops as injury may result.
• Do not apply with a mist blower.
• Do not pour spray solutions near desirable plants.
• Do not use this product on golf course putting greens.
• Do not use grass clippings from treated areas for mulching or compost, or allow for collection to composting facilities. Grass clippings must either be left on the treated area, or, if allowed by local yard waste regulations, disposed of in the trash. Applicators must give verbal or written notice to property owner/property manager/residents to not use grass clippings from treated turf for mulch or compost.
• Do not seed, sod, sprig, or plug treated area with warm season turfgrasses until at least 60 days after application. • Do not apply to irrigation ditches or water used for irrigation or domestic purposes.
• Do not graze or feed forage, hay, or straw from treated areas to livestock.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bill, I am afraid you are a small voice in the cacophony of praise surrounding Imprellis. In thread after thread on several forums, the advantages of Imprellis are being pronounced. I use very little broadleaf herbicide (spot spraying), probably one gallon of a typical herbicide for the entire season. And still, the cautions on the Imprellis label frighten me. I was wondering if it was an endocrine disrupter. Is there any herbicide that isn't?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Bill, I am afraid you are a small voice in the cacophony of praise surrounding Imprellis. In thread after thread on several forums, the advantages of Imprellis are being pronounced. I use very little broadleaf herbicide (spot spraying), probably one gallon of a typical herbicide for the entire season. And still, the cautions on the Imprellis label frighten me. I was wondering if it was an endocrine disrupter. Is there any herbicide that isn't?
I agree. The first thing that caught my eye is you can't bag clippings and add to your vegetable garden for 6 months after application. Yikes. I think I'd rather apply 2-4, D.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I think there are going to be a lot of dead trees and shrubs from this stuff, I am hearing drought stressed trees that come into contact with heritage get smoked. There are several companies from Texas that swear it has killed many of theirs, they won't use it anymore

all for a freak'n dandelion or clover
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The spray drift of Imprellis sounds very potent. I can't imagine anybody using it as a blanket spray on lawns. (but they will)

At some of the educational sessions at CENTS, Imprellis was mentioned as the latest and greatest.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The spray drift of Imprellis sounds very potent. I can't imagine anybody using it as a blanket spray on lawns. (but they will)

At some of the educational sessions at CENTS, Imprellis was mentioned as the latest and greatest.
It seems clear by the label that you should not spray it inside the drip line of anything that you want to stay alive, if I just look in my neighborhood you almost could not use it at all as all of the trees are 30/40 years old and have drip lines that go across 90% of the lawns