Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2011, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my area all the spray companies do a terrible job and there are weeds everywhere its pretty bad.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of weeds? In a lawn, I have no excuses for broadleaf weeds given the new chemicals available. There is much more that can be done other than spot spraying with Three-Way even in st augustine.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What kind of weeds? In a lawn, I have no excuses for broadleaf weeds given the new chemicals available. There is much more that can be done other than spot spraying with Three-Way even in st augustine.
So which of the new chemicals for St. Augustine would you recommend? Mansion, Celsius, what
www.YourLandscapePro.com?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrightday View Post
So which of the new chemicals for St. Augustine would you recommend? Mansion, Celsius, what
www.YourLandscapePro.com?
For a lot of the hard to kill broadleaves, nothing beats Mansion. I know many people in the business do not like to use Mansion because it requires a precision in application that is not normal for them. It is also a slow acting product. I use Quicksilver to speed up foliar damage from an application. Another issue is the fact that it is another product that will degrade if mixed and stored. I never keep backpacks or hand cans with mixed products.

Grassy weeds can be controlled with Celsius, Image or Revolver. I personally use a mix of Image + Revolver as an MSMA replacement that can also be applied to st augustine. Do not apply this to bahia or seashore paspalum.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput, I have started using mansion, what rate do you use in a 3 gallon back pack sprayer, spot treating?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, how much area does three gallons cover? I apply the equivalent of 0.5 oz per acre in 40-80 gallons per acre. I do not spot spray. Reason is, by the time I am managing the lawn, there are more than a few weeds. Nothing seems more crazy to me than spot treating a lawn full of weeds when the lawn is only 2,000 sq ft. It takes less time for me to set up my hand held boom and spray the whole thing than it does to spray each individual weed.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
For a lot of the hard to kill broadleaves, nothing beats Mansion. I know many people in the business do not like to use Mansion because it requires a precision in application that is not normal for them. It is also a slow acting product. I use Quicksilver to speed up foliar damage from an application. Another issue is the fact that it is another product that will degrade if mixed and stored. I never keep backpacks or hand cans with mixed products.

Grassy weeds can be controlled with Celsius, Image or Revolver. I personally use a mix of Image + Revolver as an MSMA replacement that can also be applied to st augustine. Do not apply this to bahia or seashore paspalum.
Green

Revolver is not labeled for St Augustine Turf. Celsius had been the biggest over hyped disappointment in the last 10 years. Even keeping a 6 pH and using the mixed product in the first 4 hours I can't control Crab Grass. I get better Knock down with Dimension a pre emerge.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Both the DOA and Bayer confirm that Revolver may be applied at the applicator's risk to st augustine. From the label:Other warm season turfgrass and their cultivars may be tolerant to Revolver Herbicide, however, tolerance testing should be done prior to use. IOW, if I fry a lawn, it is my problem, in fact such that my liability policy does not cover such an incident. Would I try this on a lawn that is going through a fertilizer blackout and irrigation ban? Hell no. The only warm season turf types that will not tolerate Revolver are bahia, centipede, and seashore paspalum.

I have the same problems with crabgrass in warm season turf. I get to deal with crab that has turned perennial. It has been there for a long time. No such thing as frost to kill it. Celsius has not been consistent on all variants of crabgrass. I normally remove crabgrass using an Image/Revolver mix followed by a Celsius/Revolver mix 30 days later. Even in bermuda and zoysia lawns. Drive is illegal here. If your spray water pH is 6, that is acidic for a sulfonylurea herbicide. I like 7 or 7.5. Minerals in water other than sodium or potassium can interfere with herbicide efficacy as well. If the water is really bad, that could mean filling with RO water.

Applying Dimension as an early post for crabgrass is on the label. I have tried it and it does work. With the obvious benefit of preventing the seeds from recolonizing the area.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Both the DOA and Bayer confirm that Revolver may be applied at the applicator's risk to st augustine. From the label:Other warm season turfgrass and their cultivars may be tolerant to Revolver Herbicide, however, tolerance testing should be done prior to use. IOW, if I fry a lawn, it is my problem, in fact such that my liability policy does not cover such an incident. Would I try this on a lawn that is going through a fertilizer blackout and irrigation ban? Hell no. The only warm season turf types that will not tolerate Revolver are bahia, centipede, and seashore paspalum.

I have the same problems with crabgrass in warm season turf. I get to deal with crab that has turned perennial. It has been there for a long time. No such thing as frost to kill it. Celsius has not been consistent on all variants of crabgrass. I normally remove crabgrass using an Image/Revolver mix followed by a Celsius/Revolver mix 30 days later. Even in bermuda and zoysia lawns. Drive is illegal here. If your spray water pH is 6, that is acidic for a sulfonylurea herbicide. I like 7 or 7.5. Minerals in water other than sodium or potassium can interfere with herbicide efficacy as well. If the water is really bad, that could mean filling with RO water.

Applying Dimension as an early post for crabgrass is on the label. I have tried it and it does work. With the obvious benefit of preventing the seeds from recolonizing the area.

Green

It still doesn't get Carpet grass or the 3 kinds of crab grass. Torpedo Grass and Bermuda grass are two other nuisance grassy weeds that invade St Augustine. Once again these take Extra special handling to control. Gregory told the tale and I can and do control all of these Grassy weeds in St Augustine with Legally labelled products.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If st augustine is being invaded by bermuda I see that as an improvement. Torpedo grass is horrible but only seems to take over wet areas where lawn grasses do not grow well anyway.