Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Someone today reminded me that common bermuda grass is called "devil grass" around here. At a friend's nursery it seems to get into potted plants and require hand-pulling. They have been spreading it around with the skid steer because it seems that everywhere it tears up the ground new bermuda grass grows. The only place st augustine seems to hold its own is under the black olive trees out front.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Someone today reminded me that common bermuda grass is called "devil grass" around here. At a friend's nursery it seems to get into potted plants and require hand-pulling. They have been spreading it around with the skid steer because it seems that everywhere it tears up the ground new bermuda grass grows. The only place st augustine seems to hold its own is under the black olive trees out front.
even more reason to use bermuda as a turf grass.....its tough stuff!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had good success with Celsius. Maybe I'm just lucky. Takes a little time and some crab grasses require a little more attention but no worries about turf damage and it even does a decent job keeping sedges at bay. I still rely on Sedghammer for those lawns where sedge is more than just scattered.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCW View Post
I've had good success with Celsius. Maybe I'm just lucky. Takes a little time and some crab grasses require a little more attention but no worries about turf damage and it even does a decent job keeping sedges at bay. I still rely on Sedghammer for those lawns where sedge is more than just scattered.
How are you applying the Celsius. By some accounts it is a worthless product. For me, it has stepped up where MSMA left off.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

It can be tedious but I only apply with a pump sprayer. If I've got maybe 5,000 SF or less and I'm rehabbing from somebody else's neglect, I'll cover the entire lawn with just the pump sprayer. Four weeks later I evaluate for a second round. A NI surfactant is a must.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrazine is Rup....if you don't have cert. license. you can not buy and use.
atrazine 2.5 gal is $69.95 free shipping...

But, even no license holder can use atrazine...for st.aug.

atrazine for st.aug..<--- you can use ..no license needed.
qt --$15.95
2.5 gal $59.95...

you can buy at Pestrong.com.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxk18 View Post
Atrazine is Rup....if you don't have cert. license. you can not buy and use.
atrazine 2.5 gal is $69.95 free shipping...

But, even no license holder can use atrazine...for st.aug.

atrazine for st.aug..<--- you can use ..no license needed.
qt --$15.95
2.5 gal $59.95...

you can buy at Pestrong.com.
OXK

I hope you understand the RUP Atrazine and GUP Atrazine anyone can Buy are two totally different percentage of Actives

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
How are you applying the Celsius. By some accounts it is a worthless product. For me, it has stepped up where MSMA left off.
So celsius is working well for you greendoctor? If so, for what weeds. Saying it is taking the place of msma makes me think you are getting grassy weed control??? From what I hear most are saying it doesnt get grassy weeds as advertised. What are your experiences?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Celsius works very well for me. However, I am applying it to turf and weeds that are well irrigated, well fertilized, growing vigorously. If you have been following my commentary on replacing MSMA, I utilize the label permitted tank mix of Revolver and Celsius when treating bermuda, st augustine or zoysia. That serves to remove goosegrass, a huge problem in my state. The way I apply Celsius approaches research precision. It gets sprayed through either a single fan tip or a boom calibrated to apply a gallon of spray per 1000 sq ft at 40 PSI. I do not use a hand can or other manual sprayer for application. It is all through constant pressure engine driven equipment that will keep the mixture very well agitated. I also will not mix more product than I can apply in an hour, No such thing as me mixing 100-200 gallons to use through the week or a hand sprayer to "spot spray" weeds. I also add 0.5% MSO to the solution. In my area weeds are hardened off by the time I am dealing with them. So that does not cause the weeds to burn before the chemicals have translocated. On the crabgrass variants that are not affected by Celsius at all, those are affected by a Revolver/Image tank mix. There are several lawns that I have cleaned up by first applying Revolver/Image, then Revolver/Celsius 30 days later. I can justify this due to not just having one patch of crabgrass in an entire lawn. I think you would cringe if you saw what many lawns in Honolulu look like. They resemble a weed collection.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Green

So the St. Aug lawns you manage that have big CG infestations you are able to chemically repair w/out re-infestation??