Register free!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

FL Irragation Lic

I have decided to move forward and get my FL Irragation lic. Per the internet you must pass a test and then forward the results with your application to the county you live in. Has anyone taken this test before? I wanted to know if it was easy or should I go to class. I perfer to order the books and study at home due to my schedual, but if its pretty hard I would look into classroom study. Any info would help

Thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfla View Post
I have decided to move forward and get my FL Irragation lic. Per the internet you must pass a test and then forward the results with your application to the county you live in. Has anyone taken this test before? I wanted to know if it was easy or should I go to class. I perfer to order the books and study at home due to my schedual, but if its pretty hard I would look into classroom study. Any info would help

Thanks in advance
SouthFla

Yep I have taken the Test TWICE and the Contractor Law with OSHA regulation etc was the only test I ever failed in my entire life. I did pass by the skin of my teeth the second time.

The Test is given by an out side company and not the state. I believe it costs $ 300 to take but it has been many years since I took it.

Florida has Two types of Special Contractor Licenses. Certified and Registered. My Commercial Pesticide is a State issued CERTIFIED LICENSE that is good any where in the state. Like all Irrigation license in Florida, my Irrigation License is a Registered License issued by my county. Each County has the right to make their own requirement for a Registered License. That license is only good in the county it was issued for. Now with the state Block test Many counties are excepting licenses from other counties IF YOU PAY THEIR LICENSE FEE.

My County required 3 years Experience working for an Irrigation Company. I sat for the test and finally passed it. I went to the next county north of me to apply for their irrigation License to be turned down. They required 4 years. A year later I applied again and got it.

Collier County has no requirement to sit for the test. After you pass the test you must prove experience to get the license. That doesn't mean you will get a license.

Go to your County Code Enforcement and hopefully talk to a County Wage slave who has worked there long enough to know that counties policy. Get all your facts straight first.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with palm beach county and they said if I am completing a "wet check" and replacing broken heads/minor repairs I DO NOT NEED A LIC.

If i need to replace a motor, valves etc I would need a lic or call a licenced company.

Does that sound correct? It seems like everyone has a different answer regarding this issue. I am guessing a lic irrigation company will report me for doing "wet checks" so I want to make sure I have my info straight
Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with palm beach county and they said if I am completing a "wet check" and replacing broken heads/minor repairs I DO NOT NEED A LIC.

If i need to replace a motor, valves etc I would need a lic or call a licenced company.

Does that sound correct? It seems like everyone has a different answer regarding this issue. I am guessing a lic irrigation company will report me for doing "wet checks" so I want to make sure I have my info straight
like ric said, each county is different. Different idiot politicians and bureaucrats making 10 million different contradicting laws in each state and each county. Makes sense doesnt it
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The experience requirements are ridiculous. How can anyone get experience if nobody is hiring? I have always believed it was a way to limit competition. I installed or repaired irrigation systems on every property I owned, so I guess I am breaking yet more laws. Nobody else I know has working irrigation on their rental properties. Not only have I replaced pumps but I have even rewound them. When buying a distressed property you never know what you will find.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The experience requirements are ridiculous. How can anyone get experience if nobody is hiring? I have always believed it was a way to limit competition. I installed or repaired irrigation systems on every property I owned, so I guess I am breaking yet more laws. Nobody else I know has working irrigation on their rental properties. Not only have I replaced pumps but I have even rewound them. When buying a distressed property you never know what you will find.
Tallrick

The Theory of Irrigation is pretty easy and therefore the Irrigation part of the test is very easy. But the WHY and WHERE of the experience requirement comes into play in actual daily field problems. Do you have any idea how many manufactures of Valve and spray heads there are???? If you are a fully Registered Irrigation contractor, then you must be able to repair older system with very different and strange parts.

As for getting Experience, that is a problem in both a Commercial Pesticide and Irrigation license. Most people don't want to work for the man and pay their dues.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

well it's official I cannot apply for my irrigation lic because of the experiance issue.
3 years working for someone or 1.5 years as a supervisor. Owning a lawn/landscaping company does not qualify.

I am now looking to purchase a company that has a lic employee, but my question is:

If that employee leaves the company can the company continue to operate with that lic for a period of time?

I am trying everything to add services to my company in a legal way!

Thanks for all the help..
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
well it's official I cannot apply for my irrigation lic because of the experiance issue.
3 years working for someone or 1.5 years as a supervisor. Owning a lawn/landscaping company does not qualify.

I am now looking to purchase a company that has a lic employee, but my question is:

If that employee leaves the company can the company continue to operate with that lic for a period of time?

I am trying everything to add services to my company in a legal way!

Thanks for all the help..

South

In the case of a pesticide license you have one year grace period to replace a CPO. However County regulation vary county by county with Irrigation Licenses. Check your local county once again.

Truth Be told I bought a Irrigation company and had the previous owner signed me off as a employee for 3 years so I could sit for the test. However you can not do that with Pesticide because you must hold a State Spray Card for 3 years.

There comes a point in growing a landscape maintenance company where Pesticide and Irrigation Licenses are necessary to make the big jump into a real competitive company. I watched my Income double when I hired a CPO and got the Pesticide license. Irrigation wasn't as big a jump but still a jump. One way to get the same effect is to Net Work with a small owner operator Pesticide and Irrigation company. It is hard for the average Yard Boy with a me first attitude to realize by giving work to others you make more money. We are in the service industry and SERVICE is what we sell. I have customers who call me for names of Aluminum soffit repair guys and I gladly encourage them to do so.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The Theory of Irrigation is pretty easy and therefore the Irrigation part of the test is very easy.
Licensing tests for irrigation only cover the very basic knowledge needed, if they didn't, almost no one would pass the test. The knowledge required to service irrigation systems isn't all that extensive. On the other hand, designing and managing irrigation systems requires extensive knowledge and is anything but easy.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Irrigation is not rocket science, I personally feel that anyone with simple understanding of hydraulics and gardening can successfully design and install an irrigation system. Licensing is just a way of controlling the market to keep prices high. Otherwise, a set of tests freely administered would be all that is needed for qualification. Experience requirements allow tradesmen like plumbers and electricians to command top dollar while excluding others to black market lowball projects.