Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2002, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Easiest way to get names and addresses by street???

I did a search here on this and got some info...but need a bit more. I have a number of streets/roads I want to target market.
I guess I could to the library but I'd rather try to get the info on line...looked on the web and most everything involves a modest fee. Thats fine. But if there's info like this available on line without a cost please let me know where it is...thanks much
Old 09-06-2002, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Try www.anywho.com
Old 09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Donald....this site seems to work only if I know someones name..then it will tell me their address. I need to work the other way...need to know the names of people on a certain street...I'll keep looking
Old 09-06-2002, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one way to do it, but you need the phone number, or name, of one person on the street. with phone number,Go to anywho.com, go to "reverse lookup" link, enter phone number. It'll tell you where they live.I use this function a lot to find out where someone lives before returning their call. On their address, the street name is a hyperlink, click on it. Woopee! It now lists everyone on the street that has a listed number, in alphabetical order.
You may be able to get a name or two from mailboxes, and go from there.
Crawdad
Old 09-06-2002, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Try your county property tax assessors office. Most counties (at least here) have online data bases of address, property owner-lets you know if you are dealing with rental, plus other good info such as year purchased & lot size.
I build my mail list from this, then check particulars before going on a call.
Our newspaper has new home purchases in the sunday edition-name and address, these lists gets worked hard though.

Only other free option I know of is cole directory at library- info is not as current as assessor but has phone numbers.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

last time i was at best buy they had a cd that listed names addresses income range etc
Old 09-06-2002, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello Kitzy

I'm new to the lawn business and this is my first post. But I've lurked here for many months gathering some great information.

Regarding your marketing idea, I did exactly what Bob suggested just last week. Went to the county property appraisers web site and located my target subdivision and street names that I would like to service. The site provides an aerial map of the lots and by clicking on one will bring up information on the resident. So I collected every name and address in the subdivision, 65 total. Copied and pasted them in an excel file and, with a little help from my wife, mail merged them to postcards and printed them out. Placed a 23 cent stamp on each one and dropped them off at the post office.

Cost of stamps - $14.95
Cost of postcard stock - $10.00
Cost of waiting for the first caller - priceless

No results yet …but hopefully.

Rick
Old 09-06-2002, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

most libaries have cross reference telephone directories that you can use. they are compiled by city publishing.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am a Tax Assessor, and it is a wonderful resource. I'd be happy to help you find out how to gather this info. Additionally at least in my state it is all public record and available for a very small fee or better yet free. Couldn't live without it.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make a quick stop at the library, and ask the reference desk where the "city directory" is. This is not a telephone directory, but a listing of everyone in a given city, county, or metropolitan area, depending on how it is compiled in your area. The city directory lists every resident in the coverage area alpahbetically, giving their address, telephone, occupation, and whether they are the owner of the property. Another section of the directory is a listing of telephone numbers numerically with the corresponding name; this was the only way to link a number to a name before the internet reverse lookups.

And the section you want lists all the addresses in the coverage area, alpabetically by street, then numerically, showing all cross streets. With each address is the name and phone number, and ours indicates the homeowners also.

City directories have been used by business for many years. If you apply for credit, and claim to have lived at your address for 20 years and own your home, they will pull out the 1983 directory and see if you are listed at that address and if you are the property owner.