The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo 5 year warranty worthless/scam

So I bought a PBT-500 blower last year. Probably my 4th or 5th one over the years. Never had one break, never any issues. Month ago it seizes up on me, can't even pull the string. But it has a "5 year warranty" so I am good right? Wrong.

I googled for information, saw results of people complaining that when they had problems, servicer ALWAYS came back with "you put bad gas or mix in it, not covered". Literally saw many saying same exact thing. Mind you these are probably homeowners who don't know any better, and couldn't fight their "expert" opinion.

So I say to myself, well I do this every day, there has 100% been mix in that tank every time, so no way can they claim that here. Lady tells me they have had issues with this model when I drop it off.

So I just get a call, and what do you know...he tells me that there is "evidence of bad mix/gas" in there and I am SOL, no warranty covered. I tell him bull#/^, the only one who puts gas in that tank is me, and there has been mix/good gas since the day I bought it. I tell him I am a professional in this industry, have been for 15 yrs and I know what type of gas/mix goes in the tank. He starts backpeddling, offers zero counter to what I am saying other than saying well we need the receipt to do anything either way, so go find that and get back to me with it. Asks me where I bought it, when and all that.

So now I have to dig up a receipt from over a year ago,(that I may or may not have) and give it to them and **maybe** not be out $320.

But the infuriating part is them flat out lying to me (I know for a fact) and probably to anyone else that has a machine break through no fault of their own, trying to get out of the "warranty". Most will just give up, I won't and I will never buy another piece of Echo equipment again if I don't get it replaced.

This is completely ridiculous, I have never had any issues with other manufacturers for service or repair. Matter of fact most of them bend over backwards to rectify the issue, unlike Echo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a 2 year warranty for commercial use and the warranty is really only as good as the dealer you take it to or bought it from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds about as good as the Home Depot Ridgid lifetime service plan. It's all a bunch of BS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't take any handheld in for warranty because there isn any....learned that lon ago. And sieze one up well tough....put some straight oil in plug hole force it until it is free and start er up. If you would have done that immediately you would have been okay.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Don't take any handheld in for warranty because there isn any....learned that lon ago. And sieze one up well tough....put some straight oil in plug hole force it until it is free and start er up. If you would have done that immediately you would have been okay.
This.

The exact reason why I don't concern myself with where I buy handhelds. I find the best deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the companies that say 5 year shaft, or 5 year coil. On most that is all that is all that is really covered. And on any carb issue after a month you can forget it... On Stihl stuff my mechanic has been working with them for years, and we are even seeing most Carb issues covered with them. I am a new Stihl dealer, but we have never had anything declined here as a warranty. Common sense tells us a lot, like if they pulled the rope out, have extreme build up on filter or bar oiler, or have straight gas in the tank, we don't even bother asking, just telling customer it was their fault obviously. My guys can pretty much pour the gas out that is in the unit and tell if it was mixed right (not perfectly, but close enough to know if a big mistake was made like straight gas). On some of the motor failures, Stihl has even had us send the unit to them so they could investigate what happened. We had a couple of things that we sent to them and they sent new replacements for, a chainsaw is one recent I can remember. We haven't had any declined that we didn't determine here on our own that was obvious user neglet....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark is no better. I bought a 21", it would crank up and run then cut off. They said the primer bulb was bad due to the fuel and wear and tear. I said primer bulb?? (I didn't even realize it had one) $52 and not covered under warranty. 2 weeks later same thing. This time I carried it to a friend of mine that owns an Ace hardware store. He called me 2 days later and said that the kill switch was out of adjustment and come get it. The dealer I bought it from kept it for 4 weeks to replace the primer bulb.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
So I bought a PBT-500 blower last year. Probably my 4th or 5th one over the years. Never had one break, never any issues. Month ago it seizes up on me, can't even pull the string. But it has a "5 year warranty" so I am good right? Wrong.

I googled for information, saw results of people complaining that when they had problems, servicer ALWAYS came back with "you put bad gas or mix in it, not covered". Literally saw many saying same exact thing. Mind you these are probably homeowners who don't know any better, and couldn't fight their "expert" opinion.

So I say to myself, well I do this every day, there has 100% been mix in that tank every time, so no way can they claim that here. Lady tells me they have had issues with this model when I drop it off.

So I just get a call, and what do you know...he tells me that there is "evidence of bad mix/gas" in there and I am SOL, no warranty covered. I tell him bull#/^, the only one who puts gas in that tank is me, and there has been mix/good gas since the day I bought it. I tell him I am a professional in this industry, have been for 15 yrs and I know what type of gas/mix goes in the tank. He starts backpeddling, offers zero counter to what I am saying other than saying well we need the receipt to do anything either way, so go find that and get back to me with it. Asks me where I bought it, when and all that.

So now I have to dig up a receipt from over a year ago,(that I may or may not have) and give it to them and **maybe** not be out $320.

But the infuriating part is them flat out lying to me (I know for a fact) and probably to anyone else that has a machine break through no fault of their own, trying to get out of the "warranty". Most will just give up, I won't and I will never buy another piece of Echo equipment again if I don't get it replaced.

This is completely ridiculous, I have never had any issues with other manufacturers for service or repair. Matter of fact most of them bend over backwards to rectify the issue, unlike Echo.
Posted via Mobile Device
How long does a BP blower normally last you?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a BR600 and ended up purchasing the Stihl Synthetic Mix and it extended my warranty for an additional 2 years. Just got my blower back from getting some warranty work done and Stihl covered it all.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Exmark is no better. I bought a 21", it would crank up and run then cut off. They said the primer bulb was bad due to the fuel and wear and tear. I said primer bulb?? (I didn't even realize it had one) $52 and not covered under warranty. 2 weeks later same thing. This time I carried it to a friend of mine that owns an Ace hardware store. He called me 2 days later and said that the kill switch was out of adjustment and come get it. The dealer I bought it from kept it for 4 weeks to replace the primer bulb.
That just sounds like a really REALLY bad dealer! Not Exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device