The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

32 inch JD Walk Behind

I am looking at getting the 32 inch JD Walk behind. Just looking to see if anyone has feed back on this particular mower.
Before everyone tells me to get a 36 I already have one. Though it is not a Deere. I need to go a bit smaller for my back yard gates. The 36 can not fit in most but the lawns are still of good size. I have mowing them with the cub cadet 33 but I want more power to finish these lawns up faster. I have also spoke with the Toro dealer and emailed the Wright dealer ( 2 hours away ). I have a friend that uses Deere and loves there service but he doesn't have any feed back for the walk behinds.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about the 30 inch toro walk behind?
Stihl

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 05-29-2015, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

quite a few of the back yards are large and a couple have some pretty good inclines and I want more power than that. So I am looking at 32's which I think pretty much all of them have 14 hp's on them.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend that you look at the Toro with the T-Bar controls. IMO it is absolutely the best control setup for a belt drive walkbehind.

We run the 32" Toro belt drive as a small gate and overgrown yard mower, it is a workhorse. Good cut and plenty of power to cut thru anything.

For us, it is at least 3 or 4 time more productive than a 21" push mower, and will mow circles around the underpowered 30" mowers.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought one myself so I will know soon. Well.. A couple of months until Spring. But I got a steal. $0 Down, No payments til may 2016, and 42 months 0% APR so I had to jump on it lol. And I am not getting charged freight by the dealer.

If I were to get a 36 I would have gone hydro, but I am in the same situation small gates with large yards. So I gave it a shot.

For now, it is just going to sit all shined up until I start cutting again (Who cares? No payments til I am swamped again

OP if you bought one and used it last season, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

also strongly recommend the toro 32 t bar. its a worhorse and uber reliable andt cuts and mulches great
Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

420cc on the 33" cadet isn't enough or it's just not giving a good cut or what? I'm considering one of those or the 32" proline toro or the 33" troy bilt and maybe a worldlawn 32". Are you mulching? Gator blades? high lift non gator?
Right, do not get a piece of shjt 30" toro or exmark with only a 190cc engine, it can't mulch for shjt, side shooting possibly is okay but not enough cc for 30 mulching plus the loss of energy via drive belts instead of blade right on the crankshaft like a 21" push 190cc will actually outperform the 30"ers. $1,300+ waste of money the 30" has been.
There's a video 33" cub cadet vs 30" toro in 1' grass mulching and he concludes as if the toro wins but only did one pass and on the next pass, the toro would be a caked up nightmare, but the 33" cub caked up halfway on the first pass. But on paper, 190 cc toro vs 420cc cub, I don't see how that makes sense. My 14HP 36" can probably scalp 1' grass on med-fast drive speed without caking up or excessive blow out so I don't know how the 33" cadet caked up.
I hear good things about the 32" single blade toro prolines. They make a single big gator blade for it also. Seems like a single 32" blade right on the crankshaft would outperform a set of two 16" on a belt.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the toro 32 single gator balde mulches like a champ. i cut 90% of my yards with it