Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The weight will always be a issue with the sub compact z's and standers. That's one of the main reasons I sold my 32" stander. I would try the wide tires and see if that helps. Also take the mulch kit off and just put on the blocker plate. With the blocker plate just mow in a circle and you will have no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The stock rear tires are to narrow IMO.They rut really bad in wet conditions.I followed (a clear difference lawns )suggestions on switching to the 20x10x10 tires and it made a huge difference in rutting and also made the unit more comfortable to ride (softened the ride).I believe the width between larger wheels is now 35" so fitting through 36" gates is still no problem for me . Plus if its a tight fit the tires have room deflect some.Loosing trim edge with larger tires is not a factor to me as I found no real loss.

Always liked the idea of mulching but found it didn't work out for me in my region.I too found it clumped badly under the deck with the mulching kit.That's why I took it right back off.I made my own shoot blocker and mulch when conditions are ideal but side discharge most of the time.As far as lifting mower to scrape I bought an (Ohio Steel ztr lift)$160.00 from TSC .Also I definitely recommend Fluid Film for all your mower decks.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukespapa View Post
OK...need some advice. So I tested out my new mower when I got it home by cutting the empty lot that is across the street from my home. It was very wet, and of course I have the mulch kit. So I looked under the deck yesterday, and it is caked with grass. Need some advice of how to get this off without standing on my head with my hose. Can you guys share any tricks to make this a bit easier?

Also, I cut a yard yesterday that had just a lot of weeds growing, and I noticed that the back wheels left an impression. Of course it was beautiful sunny weather here yesterday, but the ground is still very mushy. I am hoping this will not happen once we get to spring? Any comments?

Man, this thing is built like a tank. When I look at the homeowner types they sell at Home Depot, I just chuckle

A couple more pictures:

Hey lukespapa just fyi in the photo's I see they have the stop bolts for the handles are adjusted way in, limiting your forward speed.These 34z's really fly for there size.As you get better at driving it you may find you want more speed and its there for you.ALSO those stops are also used to adjust the machines tracking for straight travel so if it off alittle you can adjust each side easily . Before adjusting tracking always check tire air pressure first as this can cause tracking issues as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
.....Also I definitely recommend Fluid Film for all your mower decks.
Not to sound too dumb, but what is 'Fluid Film'?

Also, I notice in another post, you mentioned the arm stops for the forward speed. I can tell you I have run it at full speed with present adjustments, and it is scary fast for me. I cannot imagine going any faster, but I may try your suggestion with more experience.

And the issue about the tire impression I posted about earlier, I think another poster this morning about the dormant grass not bouncing back up is correct. I looked at the lawn today and the impressions are no longer visible. I will see what happens this spring. If the problem persists, I will try the wider tires.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukespapa View Post
Not to sound too dumb, but what is 'Fluid Film'?

Also, I notice in another post, you mentioned the arm stops for the forward speed. I can tell you I have run it at full speed with present adjustments, and it is scary fast for me. I cannot imagine going any faster, but I may try your suggestion with more experience.

And the issue about the tire impression I posted about earlier, I think another poster this morning about the dormant grass not bouncing back up is correct. I looked at the lawn today and the impressions are no longer visible. I will see what happens this spring. If the problem persists, I will try the wider tires.
http://www.kellsportproducts.com/ You can read all about fluid film at this site. Also, be very careful on slopes if you use the stock tires. Good luck and enjoy your new mower!
Grasshopper 41
Toro Timemaster 30
Stihl handhelds
5 x 8 landscape trailer w/rack
SOLO OPERATION
84 accounts cutting grass and loving it!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a clear difference lawn View Post
http://www.kellsportproducts.com/ You can read all about fluid film at this site. Also, be very careful on slopes if you use the stock tires. Good luck and enjoy your new mower!
So clear difference, did you spray this 'fluid film' on your decks? Underside only? or both sides? Also, did you put the wider tires on your Gravely's? Do you need to go to a tire dealer to change the tires?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And the issue about the tire impression I posted about earlier, I think another poster this morning about the dormant grass not bouncing back up is correct. I looked at the lawn today and the impressions are no longer visible. I will see what happens this spring. If the problem persists, I will try the wider tires

You start cutting the same yards every week and you will start to see ruts trust me.Sometimes due to obstacles in the yard as well as yard layout you really can't change your cutting patterns.The larger tires really help out with rutting. I can change my own tires but I'm very mechanically inclined .If your not, take them to a local tire shop they usually only charge you a few bucks.

Fluid film is a great product.I use it for under the deck as well as on top of the deck.I wipe my mower down with and it kinda wax's the paint.It's also great for making plastic's and tanks look new.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A clear difference lawn was the pioneer in the larger tire change. He documented it in a thread and gave great pics and directions.You might want to do a search.The tire change made a big difference to me.Due to rutting, I wasn't using the mower all spring but with the tire change I now can use the 34z way more.I think it was the single best upgrade to the mower so far.Thanks a clear difference lawn
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
A clear difference lawn was the pioneer in the larger tire change. He documented it in a thread and gave great pics and directions.You might want to do a search.The tire change made a big difference to me.Due to rutting, I wasn't using the mower all spring but with the tire change I now can use the 34z way more.I think it was the single best upgrade to the mower so far.Thanks a clear difference lawn
Normmie & clear difference, thanks for all of the good info. As far as changing the tires, are they easy enough to get off and on to the rims? What tools are required? I know on car tires, they use this machine to stretch the tire around. What do you use for these?

As far as the fluid film, I assume I can get a spray can for under the deck?

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Repost to bump:

Normmie & clear difference, [or anyone else] thanks for all of the good info. As far as changing the tires, are they easy enough to get off and on to the rims? What tools are required? I know on car tires, they use this machine to stretch the tire around. What do you use for these?

As far as the fluid film, I assume I can get a spray can for under the deck?

Thanks again.