Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I had an opportunity to take out an Ecoboost V6 Ford F150 today. The engine is very nice. No problems moving the truck quickly and getting up to full speed. Fuel economy was good. Over our 40 km test drive, the truck averaged about 15L/100 km in the city and 11.5L/100 km on the highway. I think that translates to about 15 mpg city and 21 on the highway. That matches the 5.3L Sierra. Only odd thing I noticed was that when we stepped out to look at the outside of the truck, the engine made a consistent ticking sound. It almost made the engine sound like a diesel. I'm not experienced with turbocharged gas engines, but is that normal?
To begin, you state in 40km you drove X amount of those kms in the city, filled up, and then drove X amount on the highway, and filled up again? Don't rely on the overhead computer for mileage. They can be +/- a good 20%. Let alone the fact that as much as the vehicle is electronically controlled, it can't compensate for low air pressure in the tires, headwind, tailwind, weight in the vehicle, etc.

Now, for the engine tick, this is my other peeve with the EB35, is that Ford states it can run on regular (87 octane) petrol. Now, even with advancements in electronics and computer aided software to run these electronic engine management programs, when you boost an engine by either a supercharger or turbo, the engine is more susceptible to engine knock, or ping. Generally it's heard under mid to hard acceleration but at times can be heard when in a high or lower gear while giving the engine maximum fuel without it downshifting from a taller gear. History shows that these boosted engines require a higher octane fuel to help quell the engine knock. In say 120,000kms, the engine might require you to use a higher octane fuel, 89, or even 91 (most common with boosted engines) due to age. Not in all cases of course, and knowingly all dealers will fuel with 87 octane as that is what Ford recommends, but it's also the least expensive fuel you can purchase. It's really a judgment call on what fuel you want to use. Personally I'd stick with the higher octane, even 89 and see how that goes. Of course you'd need to get a truck on fumes, throw in a few gallons of 91 or 93 octane mixed with the remaining regular fuel to at least get a close 90 octane mix in the tank and see how the engine runs on that.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ticking is most likely not engine knock; ticking is commonly caused by high pressure direct injection systems and sometimes is caused by the valves. For example, many Ford 5.4 engines develop a ticking noise (my dad owns one, so don't tell me I'm wrong), and that is a naturally aspirated engine. Additionally, modern engines are equipped with knock sensors, which prevent engine knock.

Why have you limited your choices to the Chevy 5.3 and the Ford Ecoboost 3.5? Have you considered the new Ford 5.0? Either way you go, I would recommend Ford because the F150 has many advantages over the Chevy 1500.

For example:
Electronic power steering to increase efficiency.
A fully boxed frame (the strongest in it's class).
Disc brakes all around.
Integrated trailer brake controller with trailer sway control.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GM has the integrated trailer brake control and sway control as well. I will agree that Ford frames are superior. Again, if you plan running heavy trailers or loads on a regular basis, the Ford is the way to go. Otherwise, stick with a lighter overall weight truck like GM. Dodge is in the middle, but the 5 speed auto is getting old and the HEMI is a maintenance hog (tune ups every 30K to name one!).

I know I'd choose the 5.0L V8 over the EB. Lower cost upfront, and V8's are proven to outlast most 6cyl designs unless of course you don't plan on keeping the truck until the frame rots.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Dodge 1500 advantage is in the suspension. A lot of development went into that chassis; it was a joint Nissan(Renault)/Chrysler(Mercedes) project. Nissan bowed out when Fiat bought Chrysler.

Is you are lugging around a 5-10k# trailer, only a V8 or supercharged/turbocharger 6 would do. I can say from personal experience that a 300hp 6L GM engine has trouble maintaining 65mph in highway uphills (I-80 in the Poconos) towing 9000#, 16000# GCVW.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Dodge was right to go with a better (aka modern) suspension for the 1500. They had good reasoning behind it; where most people who did in fact tow heavy, often went for a 3/4 ton truck to begin with.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here sums up the rear suspension between the two Dodge vs Ford. The guy is kinda a dick but if you can put that to the side theres a reason why other stay with the leaf style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDQ8Yl7Ndk

Also, another feature I like about the Ford is the trailer sway control and it works. I'm not sure if other manufactures have this option but I hope they do and would seriously consider it with a half ton. I never came across a situation that I would have needed it in the 1 ton+ trucks.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Check out the head to head pulling test.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

Check out the head to head pulling test.
Have you ever noticed that all the videos on manufacturers websites make their vehicle(s) look good and make their competition look sub-par?

Ford had videos between their super duty trucks and GM's HD's, those videos made the ford look tons better, even though they were testing 2011 fords and 2010 GM's. Then GM came out with their 2011's and did their own videos which made the GM HD's look much better than the Ford super duties.

I don't trust the videos from manufacturers, especially when it comes to capabilities of trucks. Of course the manufacturer is going to make their truck look best. These tests need to be done by an independant company that has no ties to any manufacturer
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Supercharged engines aren't common because they are bad. Traditionally, they are more expensive to build and blowby past the rings causes increased maintenance and more frequent oil changes.

However, this is 2011.

The Ecoboost engines are the only direct injection engines in this group. Coupled with twin superchargers and double ohc variable camshaft timing, it produces the flat torque curve of direct injected Audis while the NVH levels are low enough to make it the optional engine in Ford's top of the line Lincoln. (Note: the only way I'd end up with the Lincoln is of someone gave it to me; even then I doubt I'd drive it much.)

What about durability? Again, this is 2011. First, driven by emission laws with 100k mile durability requirements, improvements in metallurgy and manufacturing have much tighter tolerances and reduced wear. Additionally coatings applied to nearly everything contain heat, keep oil flowing, and reduce friction. Piston ring technology coupled with the tighter clearances allow less blowby. Synthetic lubricants holds up under the higher pressures and temperatures. Additionally, Ford apparently water cooled the turbochargers.

Net, the performance of the turbo V6 will be more diesel like than any of its competitors. In real life fuel economy has to be higher; reduced friction surfaces plus much more efficient combustion (a 4v ohc head is light-years better than virtually any 2-valve ohv design, then add the direct injection).

Net, the engine probably gives the Ford the edge here. Although the Dodge has to ride better.

Now if I was getting the Ford I'd like to forget the Ecoboost and get a Raptor, even if the rear suspension is not quite right (it should have been 3-link IMHO).

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/EcoBoost.pdf
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Have you ever noticed that all the videos on manufacturers websites make their vehicle(s) look good and make their competition look sub-par?

Ford had videos between their super duty trucks and GM's HD's, those videos made the ford look tons better, even though they were testing 2011 fords and 2010 GM's. Then GM came out with their 2011's and did their own videos which made the GM HD's look much better than the Ford super duties.

I don't trust the videos from manufacturers, especially when it comes to capabilities of trucks. Of course the manufacturer is going to make their truck look best. These tests need to be done by an independant company that has no ties to any manufacturer
Hey, they raced up a hill with loaded trailer and the Ford got their first. If that made the Dodge and Chevy look bad I'm sorry.