The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Obama...now you've said too much!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DavidNJ-

What are your thoughts on the Dodge Hemi 5.7?

And your are 100% correct, your truck needs to match your needs.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Hemi is a nice engine in its context; it is a very sophisticated 2-valve pushrod engine. The combustion chamber is an advanced design, the valves canted (like a Ford Cleveland, Boss 302, Boss 429 (now in production by Kasse), and the Engine Masters multiple time winner CHI heads from Australia). To that it adds 2 plugs per cylinder. On this engine it allowed a particularly straight intake port.

However, all of these gymnastics come with every overhead cam engine like the new Ford 6.2L. You need separate intake and exhaust cams to fully control valve timing; this is important in controlling overlap and intake valve closing. The flexibility in intake valve closing allows a higher static compression allowing a higher expansion ratio without exceeding the maximum dynamic compression.

Direct injection dramatically extends that functionality. Multiple valves improve the breathing dramatically without requiring aggressive cam profiles. Etc. etc. etc.

Net, compared to other 2-valve V8s, especially pushrod or single OHC engines, it is a very strong contender. I've never heard anyone complain and their are lots of people who focus on it in their Dodge Magnums, Challengers, and Chrysler 300s.

Note, the Ford V8s are single overhead cam so they DON'T allow separate intake and exhaust timing. The EcoBoost has everything except variable valve lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF66aVPhPfc
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

F150 5.0 http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

V6 test http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-shootout.html
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
The Hemi is a nice engine in its context; it is a very sophisticated 2-valve pushrod engine. The combustion chamber is an advanced design, the valves canted (like a Ford Cleveland, Boss 302, Boss 429 (now in production by Kasse), and the Engine Masters multiple time winner CHI heads from Australia). To that it adds 2 plugs per cylinder. On this engine it allowed a particularly straight intake port.

However, all of these gymnastics come with every overhead cam engine like the new Ford 6.2L. You need separate intake and exhaust cams to fully control valve timing; this is important in controlling overlap and intake valve closing. The flexibility in intake valve closing allows a higher static compression allowing a higher expansion ratio without exceeding the maximum dynamic compression.

Direct injection dramatically extends that functionality. Multiple valves improve the breathing dramatically without requiring aggressive cam profiles. Etc. etc. etc.

Net, compared to other 2-valve V8s, especially pushrod or single OHC engines, it is a very strong contender. I've never heard anyone complain and their are lots of people who focus on it in their Dodge Magnums, Challengers, and Chrysler 300s.

Note, the Ford V8s are single overhead cam so they DON'T allow separate intake and exhaust timing. The EcoBoost has everything except variable valve lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF66aVPhPfc

You're wrong about the 5.0.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're right...Ford has been active. I didn't realize the 5.0 had new heads. DOHC, 11:1 compression, although still port injection and a pretty limp torque curve for a truck. I guess it does better in the Mustang where it produce more torque and more HP.

11:1 with port injection and regular gas shows the advantage of the independent intake and exhaust cams.

If you want state of the art in a 1/2 ton engine: EcoBoost.

After that it doesn't seem like there is much difference. I wonder when it will make it to the Expedition.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnj View Post
you're right...ford has been active. I didn't realize the 5.0 had new heads. Dohc, 11:1 compression, although still port injection and a pretty limp torque curve for a truck. I guess it does better in the mustang where it produce more torque and more hp.

11:1 with port injection and regular gas shows the advantage of the independent intake and exhaust cams.

If you want state of the art in a 1/2 ton engine: Ecoboost.

After that it doesn't seem like there is much difference. I wonder when it will make it to the expedition.
5.0 = 10.5:1
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
5.0 = 10.5:1
I must have read Mustang data.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, the 'stang is 11:1.