Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, dishboy, you apply organic input. Then there is abundant rain or irrigation, and there is the right temp THEREFORE mushrooms that appear are due to your organic input?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
So, dishboy, you apply organic input. Then there is abundant rain or irrigation, and there is the right temp THEREFORE mushrooms that appear are due to your organic input?
Go re read my post. Is that what I said.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Go re read my post. Is that what I said.
I guess I'm not following. Could you rephrase what you said?
(I'm not trying to be argumentative.)

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
I see mushrooms with some Organic Ferts more than others when conditions are right as rain and the right temps regardless of what Kiril thinks , comparing Idaho to California really holds no water.
Well, that is true to a certain extent. In any event, now you see why I had a problem with the blanket statement from Marcos .... right? Just because you put something organic on your lawn does not necessarily lead to mushrooms. If that were the case, mulch mowing would also lead to mushrooms ..... correct?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Well, that is true to a certain extent. In any event, now you see why I had a problem with the blanket statement from Marcos .... right? Just because you put something organic on your lawn does not necessarily lead to mushrooms. If that were the case, mulch mowing would also lead to mushrooms ..... correct?
Like I posted earlier other variables are involved like soil type & porosity.
Yes I would say EXTREME amounts of mulch created by mowing might trigger mushroom spawning, as would an excessive, decomposing thatch layer.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Like I posted earlier other variables are involved like soil type & porosity.
Which was then followed by an inappropriate generic blanket statement. Seriously .... do you think it is beneficial for people to walk away from your post thinking they will get mushroom growth if they use organics on their lawn .... especially given it may or may not happen? That is what you said. Furthermore, can you explain how soil type and porosity contribute to mushroom growth which occurs on surface applied organic matter just so everyone is clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Yes I would say EXTREME amounts of mulch created by mowing might trigger mushroom spawning, as would an excessive, decomposing thatch layer.
How extreme? 1" blanket of clippings/thatch .... 2" ..... 3" ..... Let's be specific here for those people who just can't handle seeing mushrooms decomposing organic matter.

Something to consider. I just recently applied a 3"+ layer of compost over a fairly large area ..... no mushrooms to speak of to date (nearly 2 months later) .... yet there were some scattered mushrooms colonies before I applied it. Now one might think if there were mushrooms before, then adding all that organic matter would result in a mushroom explosion ..... according to you .... and yet it didn't.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Let's not lose sight of Exact Roto's original statement-- that he had a customer mention to him she once had mushroom growth from a chicken manure product. So we can assume he wants to know what to tell such a customer; that it's possible sometimes; that it's possible but rarely; if it does occur, his mowing will grind the mushrooms. ????? He wants to display some knowledge by giving an experienced response. So, those with experience with this, tell him what he might say.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Which was then followed by an inappropriate generic blanket statement. Seriously .... do you think it is beneficial for people to walk away from your post thinking they will get mushroom growth if they use organics on their lawn .... especially given it may or may not happen? That is what you said. Furthermore, can you explain how soil type and porosity contribute to mushroom growth which occurs on surface applied organic matter just so everyone is clear?

How extreme? 1" blanket of clippings/thatch .... 2" ..... 3" ..... Let's be specific here for those people who just can't handle seeing mushrooms decomposing organic matter.

Something to consider. I just recently applied a 3"+ layer of compost over a fairly large area ..... no mushrooms to speak of to date (nearly 2 months later) .... yet there were some scattered mushrooms colonies before I applied it. Now one might think if there were mushrooms before, then adding all that organic matter would result in a mushroom explosion ..... according to you .... and yet it didn't.
How is Marcos statement, Yes, it's possible that chicken manure product may have spawned mushrooms, especially if it had been applied too heavily or unevenly in spots. Other factors involved include soil type(s) & soil porosity & precipitation.
Potentially any organic-based product will result in mushroom outbreaks a few weeks later.
"an inappropriate generic blanket statement" that says "adding all that organic matter would result in a mushroom explosion"?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read the last sentence of your Marcos quote and you tell me.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would think that composted organic material vs non composted/dehydrated chicken manure is going to yield different results as to mushrooms appearing in turf. It seems that mushroom growers are actually using manures as a growing medium or food for growing mushrooms. It may be that chicken manure is a very good fungal food. Knowing the climate of northern Idaho, mushrooms are not going to need a lot of encouragement and actually might be a sign of a healthier lawn.