Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Here is an interesting synopsis, 365 pages worth
http://www.krishibid.com/ebook/Mycor...r,%202008).pdf

Pages 65, 66 and 67 show which good guys transport which nutrients, not all of them but the ones they investigated
"... Plant diseases can be controlled by manipulation of indigenous
microbes or by introducing antagonists to reduce the disease-producing propagules
(Linderman, 1992). AM fungi and their associated interactions with
plants reduce the damage caused by plant pathogens (Harrier and Watson,
2004). These interactions have been documented for many plant species
(Tables 1 and 2)" ...

OK, we accept that Plant diseases can be controlled, good point...

However, what environmental strategies and cultural practices would mean a more healthy AMF and a more dormant pathogen??

If we don't understand the answer to that question, we may very well be adding spores to our lawns , the same way a fool would dumb worms in the desert sand to live, grow and multiply...

An impossible question to get an answer on...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Environmental strategies

"However, what environmental strategies and cultural practices would mean a more healthy AMF and a more dormant pathogen??"

Excellent questions. Since there are many variables, particularly when dealing with soil parent rock and chemistry of the soil, its difficult to prescribe a set in stone protocol. This is why we endorse the idea of our clients being knowledgeable about how to read a soil analysis report. It's also important to understand that even the best soil analysis will not disclose all the elements of nutrition that a soil contains as no soil test separation technique mimics how plants get those elements out of the soil, particularly how Mycorrhizae do it. Keep in mind that an acre of soil, 1 foot deep contains over 4 million pounds of minerals, even in the depleted acid soils of the Northeastern States, or the tropical rain forest soils. What's depleted are the mineral elements that we' ed hope would be in the soil water solution or chelated onto the Cation Exchange Capacity of the soil. The easy to access nutrients! However the minerals that are still part of the chemical matrix of the soil, cemented in if you will, cannot easily be sequestered by a plant without the aid of the mycorrhizal relationship. Here's where the issue of adding supplemental fertilizer causes a snag or a crutch in some cases. There's no doubt that we are all on a learning curve when it comes to using inoculations of mycorrhizal spores, followed by managing the landscape so it can maintain the terrestrial biosphere of mutualism.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dr Jensen - welcome to LawnSite

Welcome to LawnSite Dr. Jensen. When did you start working with Dr. Melendrez are you a New Mexican too? Dr. MM is on the cutting edge and moving our industry to new heights - more folks need to listen to him.
Check these out -
Soil Secrets 1 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MiD...eature=related

Soil Secrets 2 – Understanding Humus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhss...eature=related

Soil Secrets 3 – On Rhizobia and Mycorrhiza http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UusQ4...eature=related

Soil Secrets 4 – on mycorrhizae http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENP2d...eature=related
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some more links on Soil Secrets

Soil 1 the terrastrial biosphere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy60n...eature=related

Soil 2 the genesis of humus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhss...eature=related

Soil 3 Trees…. From the soil up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Ouq...eature=related

Soil 4 on Humus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0M6d..._order&list=UL

Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

James,

Thanks for posting those links.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilsecrets View Post
"However, what environmental strategies and cultural practices would mean a more healthy AMF and a more dormant pathogen??"

Excellent questions. Since there are many variables, particularly when dealing with soil parent rock and chemistry of the soil, its difficult to prescribe a set in stone protocol. This is why we endorse the idea of our clients being knowledgeable about how to read a soil analysis report. It's also important to understand that even the best soil analysis will not disclose all the elements of nutrition that a soil contains as no soil test separation technique mimics how plants get those elements out of the soil, particularly how Mycorrhizae do it. Keep in mind that an acre of soil, 1 foot deep contains over 4 million pounds of minerals, even in the depleted acid soils of the Northeastern States, or the tropical rain forest soils. What's depleted are the mineral elements that we' ed hope would be in the soil water solution or chelated onto the Cation Exchange Capacity of the soil. The easy to access nutrients! However the minerals that are still part of the chemical matrix of the soil, cemented in if you will, cannot easily be sequestered by a plant without the aid of the mycorrhizal relationship. Here's where the issue of adding supplemental fertilizer causes a snag or a crutch in some cases. There's no doubt that we are all on a learning curve when it comes to using inoculations of mycorrhizal spores, followed by managing the landscape so it can maintain the terrestrial biosphere of mutualism.
The question is: What environments can we create that will be helpful for the proliferation of AMF, i.e. watering, ammendment types, etc.?
In other words:
What does AMF thrive in as compared to struggle in, with regards to certain environments?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Dr. Jenson at Soil Secrets

Hi Barefoot James: Dr. Jenson here answering your question. I'm a soil microbiologist by professional academic training and my area of special interest is in the enzymes created by various species of fungi including the 'White and Brown Rot' primary saprophytic decomposers and the Mycorrhizal fungi. I've done work for Michael and his company's Soil Secrets LLC, Watch It Grow Inc., and his nursery Trees That Please, for over 25 years. Most of my work is completed and I'm called in to help when more R & D is needed or when we are doing research on toxic soil remediation. Right now Michael is doing more work on the wood rot fungi as we use the enzymes collected from these fungus bodies in some toxic mine tailing projects we are dealing with here in the States. Michael has given myself and another staff manager permission to articulate in proxy for him on this forum, while he will also pop in from time to time. But rest assured he will always be watching what we write. The other staff member who you may hear from on this forum is Dr. Steve Sain, a professional plant physiologist who's a full time technical staff member for Michael's company's.

There was another question presented on how to manage the site to favor the proliferation of Mycorrhizae, but I'll let Michael answer that question since he's got a quarter of century of hands on experience with this issue and landscape maintenance. It may be a day or two before he has time to add is opinion on that question.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow

Wow, this is getting more and more interesting. I get lots of updates from SS on progress and their works and they for sure are cutting edge and growing our industry - BIG TIME.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilsecrets View Post

There was another question presented on how to manage the site to favor the proliferation of Mycorrhizae, but I'll let Michael answer that question since he's got a quarter of century of hands on experience with this issue and landscape maintenance. It may be a day or two before he has time to add is opinion on that question.
I'm looking forward to it.

Great to have you all here.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is gonna be good. I bet we don't see certain members jumping in on this one posting articles. Haha. We have the actual article writers and Scientists posting. Can't wait to read more about this and the conditions that favor AMF proliferation!