Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fire Ant Bait time in South Florida

The following is for Homeowners and Commercially Certified Operators. Not the Illegal applicators. And I know who some of you are.

February can be an excellent month for treating with Fire Ant Baits in South Florida. Sorry Central and North Florida I don't know your best time, but it is later.

This February should be good in the fact we are now warmer and in fact just above normal. Fire Ants are active between 70 & 90 degrees and most active in the 75 to 85 range like we have during the day right now. Also remember Baits are only good until rain washes off the Phamone or the Phamone goes bad. So warm and dry makes for a good application. Your better Fire Ant Baits have Growth Regulators in them which take up to 10 weeks to control the entire colony. So February is the month to get the ants before many people start being outside.

Most Baits only require 1 to 3 pounds per acre. Fire ants will forage 100 ft from the nest. Therefore banning or check boarding your application works just as good as a blanket treatment.

Here is a trick I will use when a vacant lot of heavy growth is next door to a yard I want to protect. I use a Sling Shot and Handy Wrap with Bait inside. I will shoot the Bait in the Handy Wrap into the Thick growth because it will open when it hits. BTW I also use a Steel Shot in the Handy wrap. Knowing Fire Ant forage 100 Feet I try and space my shots about 50 ft apart to get excellent coverage.

You can do a search under my name for tons of infro on Fire Ants. Most any baits will work but those with Growth Regulators are proven to last longer. The wider or larger the area, the longer control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you are giving away your best secrets. That must be a sign of the apocalypse.
Don't know if I trust some of these yahoos with a slingshot though.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Sounds like you are giving away your best secrets. That must be a sign of the apocalypse.
Don't know if I trust some of these yahoos with a slingshot though.
Patriot

Chinch Bug control is harder than Fire Ant Control. Most upscale yards are already getting Chinch Bug and Grub control so Fire Ants should not be an issue. Straight Fire Ant control takes a lot of marketing and any illegal who advertises Pest control soon gets a health fine from being turned in by Legal Pest Control companies.

I don't believe I am giving a way any real secerts here since this is all over the Web and Ifas. The Sling Shot is a Real Ric Trick so enjoy.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I picked up a hanger at a customers today. They advertised full fert, weed and pest control. 8 app program for 240 yearly. Sounds way too cheap. Listed fire ants, chinch and grub control. Interestingly enough no CPO#. You'd think that would be a nice piece of info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I picked up a hanger at a customers today. They advertised full fert, weed and pest control. 8 app program for 240 yearly. Sounds way too cheap. Listed fire ants, chinch and grub control. Interestingly enough no CPO#. You'd think that would be a nice piece of info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

Under Chapter 482 all Pesticide advertisement must have the Company name listed. 1st sign it is not a legal company if the name is not present.

Here is a link to check out all certified and Licensed Card holders and companies in the state of Florida. If they are not listed here they are not legal.

http://app1.flaes.org/ceu/

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

good info ric.....

i've been using your fire ant control for i think 2 years now and havent had any problems with fire ant since then. and i remeber you telling me about the baits and shooting it up in the growth around my house......
Old 02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
good info ric.....

i've been using your fire ant control for i think 2 years now and havent had any problems with fire ant since then. and i remeber you telling me about the baits and shooting it up in the growth around my house......
Karl

With your Z sprayer your Fire Ant Pressure isn't a real problem because you are controlling chinch bugs and getting Fire Ants as a bonus. However with the Wooded lots around you, The Sling Shot Idea might be worth doing once a year.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ric,

While you are in the giving mood. Let me ask you this. I live next to a conservation lot and have a issue with armadillo tearing up my lawn from time to time. I consistently apply pesticides to treat the lawn for ants, chinch bugs and the active chemical is usually labled for the control of grubs.
Is there anything else I can try to deter these armadillo? I have tried using the caster oil mixture to the lawn to by the way. Although it worked for the neighbor that suggested, it has failed to keep them out of my lawn on a consistent manner.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric,

While you are in the giving mood. Let me ask you this. I live next to a conservation lot and have a issue with armadillo tearing up my lawn from time to time. I consistently apply pesticides to treat the lawn for ants, chinch bugs and the active chemical is usually labled for the control of grubs.
Is there anything else I can try to deter these armadillo? I have tried using the caster oil mixture to the lawn to by the way. Although it worked for the neighbor that suggested, it has failed to keep them out of my lawn on a consistent manner.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Micky

One more Time NO APPLYING PESTICIDE YOU ARE NOT LICENSED FOR.

This is actually a good question because it shows you don't have the clue and should stay away from Chemicals. All That Crap you are putting on the Yard is never going to anything but Pollute the environment.

Now How to get rid of Armadillos LEGALLY. If you go to FWC website I am still listed as one of the Licensed Nuisance Wild Life Trappers. However the State of Florida no longer requires a license to trap Nuisance Wildlife (armadillo). However My name and other are still listed (last Time I looked) because we are Grandfathered in I GUESS. BTW you can advertise armadillo removal. You can also Trap Moles but not poison them.

Armadillos are easy. First you need Gothic Clothing and Mullet haircut. Be Sure to wear a lot of metal. and no PPE. Call your self Micky the Exterminator and Use a Havahart Trap ($ 30 Tractor supply) and Earth worms as bait. Armadillos are blind so fencing to direct them toward the trap is necessary for quick control. Earth worms in the moist soil they come in placed in a women's Nylon Stocking and into trap just after sundown and taken out in the morning before drying out. Florida Law does not allow relocation of Nuisance Wildlife. I find a Hose from my exhaust pipe to a cover on the trap works easiest and best. Shooting them brings on many problem we don't need to discuss

Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Micky

One more Time NO APPLYING PESTICIDE YOU ARE NOT LICENSED FOR.

This is actually a good question because it shows you don't have the clue and should stay away from Chemicals. All That Crap you are putting on the Yard is never going to anything but Pollute the environment.

Now How to get rid of Armadillos LEGALLY. If you go to FWC website I am still listed as one of the Licensed Nuisance Wild Life Trappers. However the State of Florida no longer requires a license to trap Nuisance Wildlife (armadillo). However My name and other are still listed (last Time I looked) because we are Grandfathered in I GUESS. BTW you can advertise armadillo removal. You can also Trap Moles but not poison them.

Armadillos are easy. First you need Gothic Clothing and Mullet haircut. Be Sure to wear a lot of metal. and no PPE. Call your self Micky the Exterminator and Use a Havahart Trap ($ 30 Tractor supply) and Earth worms as bait. Armadillos are blind so fencing to direct them toward the trap is necessary for quick control. Earth worms in the moist soil they come in placed in a women's Nylon Stocking and into trap just after sundown and taken out in the morning before drying out. Florida Law does not allow relocation of Nuisance Wildlife. I find a Hose from my exhaust pipe to a cover on the trap works easiest and best. Shooting them brings on many problem we don't need to discuss

Ricky,

First, again in your old man eyesight has given out on you again. Please read the post again and this time set the browser to zoom in 200%. Upon doing so you will see that I am talking about my lawn. After you discover that you will also see the detail that I put in there about my property being located right next to a conservation lot.

With the first piece of information you will know that I am not illegally applying any chemical. In fact you should note that I even mentioned reading the label....a fact that I am sure you would not of had expected from me given your attitude towards me.
With the second piece of information a highly educated man such as yourself will understand that most likely there is more than one Armadillo living there. So you can see why trapping them may not be the most timely of solutions.

About shooting them....not sure that the neighbors would mind as they dig in my yard a few times and then move on to the neighbors and keep on gong down the line a little further every night. But not real sure I would like the fine for discharging a firearm in city limit. On a side note true story: last year a neighbor wanted to know how much I would charge to sit outside and shoot them. I told his the same answer about discharging the firearm.

In regards to getting the metal gear, mullet and not using any PPE. Well that is the game plan.....some day my dream is to move to Louisiana, going to buy some rogain to grow the hair out long enough for the mullet, buy a warehouse full of Pyrethrum and battle the pest of the great state. Not sure I will be able to do it on a simple lawn turds earning but I do have the dream.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!