Register free!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvern View Post
I'm in Jupiter & I've started cutting some, especially the plants that hold their dead leaves & look esp. hideous - Mammey crotons, cocoplum, Petite Ixora...

The variation in damage is amazing. On one property, there is a cocoplum hedge that is fine on one side & the other side looks like someone took a blow torch to it. I think sprinklers going on may have exacerbated the damage, which I find kind of surprising since it barely got below freezing here.

Has is gotten to the point where anyone is re-thinking the plant material they will use going forward? When I first moved here, I checked the historical weather data on freezes. In the 80's there had been 12 in W. Palm Beach (it even snowed in Miami once), but for '90 - '97 there had been -0-. I wonder if were are going into a new colder cycle...
Melvern

You bring up an excellent point

Yes X mas of 1988 Miami had Frozen pipes. I know because My Sister in Law's house had exposed PVC pipe that I thawed out with her hair drier.

Over the years we have had a few winter blasts. When I lived in Boca Grande we had a super warm winter (1994 or 95??) and everything flushed. The last week of Feb and first week of March we had 3 freezes a few days a part on a Tropical Island mimi climate. Needless to say it took two years to recover.

My area has had 3 years running with Freezes. I personally lost struggling Mango trees in the second year of freezes. After 3 years in a row it is time to rethink more cold hardy plants. However the Market is still demanding Tropical Disneyland in my area.

I am now semi retired but I did have a nursery blown away by Hurricane Charlie. Freeze protection started by moving tender vegetation into shady houses covered each winter with Visqueen. But I would run my sprinklers heavy all day long before the expected freeze. I would then turn them off at night fall and hope for the best. Water holds heat and the heavy water on the ground helped to keep my stock from freezing. I was luck and did not lose very much to freezes.

As for your spotty freeze damage. The direction and speed of the wind is what cause that. If you look close you can see a Patten on which side of the house etc was up wind (little damage) or down wind (more damage). No wind will freeze or frost quicker.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Melvern what is your company name??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The variation in damage is amazing. On one property, there is a cocoplum hedge that is fine on one side & the other side looks like someone took a blow torch to it. I think sprinklers going on may have exacerbated the damage, which I find kind of surprising since it barely got below freezing here.

As for your spotty freeze damage. The direction and speed of the wind is what cause that. If you look close you can see a Patten on which side of the house etc was up wind (little damage) or down wind (more damage). No wind will freeze or frost quicker.

Sometimes we don't have enough appreciation for the effects or influences of microclimates both good and bad.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap. 40 degree temperature range to day from north to south. Next we'll have 3 Florida subforums.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, we had 83 today and some nice summer err I mean winter rain
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

What and why exactly is a cutback on an ornamental? And why is 1 time of year better than another?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
What and why exactly is a cutback on an ornamental? And why is 1 time of year better than another?
If you cut off frost damaged material and you get another frost you just removed the plants natural attempt to protect itself. If you continue to cutback after every freeze you will have nothing left come spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Ahh got it, I didn't know if the OP was referring to butchering the landscape in the beginning of the summer which happens quite frequently in south FL.
I'm starting to see quite abit of new growth on shrubs. Especially hibiscus. Thats my sign to start whatever selective pruning to shape the plants. I typically try not to remove a cold damaged palm leaf until the petiole turns brown, but thats not always possible.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been pruning and shaping hibiscus this week along with copperleaf,etc. I'm only taking of fronds that are brown AND falling off. If it is brown and in place, it is going to stay on the palm until it falls or until March, whichever comes first. I really don't think we are going to get any more real cold weather. From next Tues onward, we have 76-79 highs and 58+ lows. Everything is getting fertilized next week. My healthy yards have already been lush and vibrant since 3 weeks ago. It will be crucial to fert the heavily cold damaged palms for the entire year to get them back to health and hope that we don't get so many freezes next winter. I have a property with 2 very mature coconuts that took all last year to look DECENT only to get hit again with freezes this winter. Hopefully they make it as they were treated with a copper fungicide.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad I didn't get overzealous with cutbacks. Woke up to some frost this morning.
Posted via Mobile Device