Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Boat trailer to utility trailer

I'm wondering if anybody on here has ever converted a boat trailer to a utility trailer? It would be used mainly to transport my mower (toro zero turn). How much weight can these things usually hold?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive seen it done before, not much to it, just add cross braces etc, the axles could be any weight limit depending on the size boat there made to carry. check the axles for stamping or tags for weight limit
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i started that same project you can probably find a thread on here about it and it was a huge waste of time and money. put about 10hrs into it and 300 bucks and ended up letting it sit around because i realized how much it was going to cost and later cut it up for scrap.

do yourself a favor and find a good used trailer on your local craigslist the conversion is not going to save you any money.

Gravely Pro 50 W/B
Craftsman Garden Tractor
husqvarna 223L Trimmer
little wonder Blower
6x14 trailer
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Sell the boat trailer. Buy a utility trailer. You will likely come out money ahead in comparison to the time and money spent on a conversion and have a better trailer to show for it. A basic utility trailer can be had cheap these days, even new, especially used.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can normally tell just by the lug count. Most 3500lbs axles are 5 lug. 4 lug axles are usually less than 3500lbs which is the smallest axle I'd use for a lawn trailer. Also most boat trailers have the axle to far towards the rear of the trailer.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11mmason View Post
I'm wondering if anybody on here has ever converted a boat trailer to a utility trailer? It would be used mainly to transport my mower (toro zero turn). How much weight can these things usually hold?
It depends on the boat trailer you have to start with. We need more info like what axle ratings it has what the frame is designed and its ratings are, all that stuff.

If its a trailer from your 12ft jon boat then I'd say its probably not strong enough for a mower.

I'd reccomend selling the trailer and get a real utility trailer. You can find them used for $500 or brand new for $1000 all day long.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad did that several years ago. It worked fine as long as the weight was kept down. One downside is that a boat trailer is designed with a long tongue and the axle pretty far back which is great for carrying something heavier in the back than the front, like, a boat (go figure). When you use a boat trailer as a utility trailer, the extra length gets to be a pain and the tongue weight really adds up. My vote is to get a trailer designed to do what you want to do, the right tool for the job.