Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Testimonials on flyers?

I'm planning on putting some testimonials on the flyers that I'm going to hand out this spring and I'm not sure how I should acknowledge the testimonial giver's names to people they may know while still protecting their privacy.

I'm thinking about doing first name and last initial.... George F.

Do you guys think this would be alright? I'm putting up the flyers in primarily one neighborhood and a lot of the people know each other, so it would be good if the friends of the testimonial givers could recognize who gave the testimonial without telling the whole world who gave the testimonial.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody??? BUMP
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

give it a shot...i haven't had much luck with flyers...i put out like 500 once and only had 2 calls and they were one time customers only...so not so good....good customers are usually obtained by word of mouth in my experience
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Save the space for useful information. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
good customers are usually obtained by word of mouth in my experience
Same here, the majority of my customers have been referrals, but I was thinking if I put a name on the flyer who many people through the neighborhood know well, it's sorta like that person telling a potential customer that they like my work.

Quote:
Save the space for useful information. Just my .02
Useful information eh? Convincing testimonials aren't useful? I mean I could list my services all day long, but that doesn't convince anybody that I do good work or that they will like my services. What would you save the space for?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And what does "Jack does a super job on my lawn. Joe S." say? Nobody knows Joe S. ,and there is no way to verify that. Do you really believe so called testimonials?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

flyers will work reasonable well if you do it right...first you have to be consistant...hit the same areas regularly (monthly) for at least 8-12 months....testimonials are bs and most know it....run specials on things you do...mulch, cleanups, fertilizer, ect. lawn maint. is hard to discount and still make money....use your other services to get in the door and then sell them on the maintenance.....in some cases we will even give the maintenance away for free with a minimum purchase of other items like landscaping or sodding....you include your cost of it in the price...( example: 60 days free lawn service with new landscape purchase of 1500.00 or more) people want a deal but if you try to beat out on pricing like these 12-15 dollar per cut folks (bottom feeders) then you will not survive...you should want and NEED quality paying customers...who want a great job at a fair price...they are out there.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
And what does "Jack does a super job on my lawn. Joe S." say? Nobody knows Joe S. ,and there is no way to verify that. Do you really believe so called testimonials?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahhh....you see. That's the thing. These flyers are all going to be passed out in 1 neighborhood, a lot of the people know each other. I have one customer who has given me 2 referrals in the past year to people that live just down the street. If I put a well know name on the flyer, I'm thinking the neighbors (even if they live a few streets down) will say "ohh this is the guy that does Joe's lawn, and it's always looking great"

That was my thoughts at least, but maybe I'm wrong. I agree completely if I was passing these out throughout various neighborhoods, testimonials would be pointless, but in a select area where the people know each other, I think it may be useful, how about you?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a valid point. However proven statistics on flyers and doorhangers are 1-2% and even that is based on thousands distributed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That is a valid point. However proven statistics on flyers and doorhangers are 1-2% and even that is based on thousands distributed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alright, well I guess the best experience is trial and error. So if this flyer doesn't work, then I've lost $50 in printing, which isn't that much in the scheme of things.

Tags
advertising , doorhanger , flyer , postcard , testimonial