Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

anybody gonna try this new "square" ? it plugs into your smartphone and you use it to swipe credit cards. i think 15 cents + 2.75 % fee. no monthly charge i think.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have one of those smart phones with all the extras. Wife wont let me spend that kind of money on fancy phones with all the extras...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowHouston View Post
PayPal's Fees
2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
If you sign up for Website Payment Pro with credit card processing, PayPal holds 30% of your transaction on a 90 day rolling reserve. This does not apply to you if you are just using Website Payment Standard. Website Payment Pro also has a monthly fee. I dont remember but I think it is $20 - $30 per month. Also, if you piss a customer off, they will be able to get the money back pretty damn easy even if you provide receipts. PayPal tends to favor the buyer on any payment that does not have proof of delivery such as intangible goods or services.

Merchant Account Fees
Fees vary depending on who you choose. Here is the one I use:
$10 monthly fee
1.79% + $0.15 per transaction
Money deposited into my bank account in 48-72 hours.

Customers give me their credit/debit card upon sign up and are billed following service.

In my opinion, PayPal is good to start out with and customers may prefer it over giving you their card number. However, if you present yourself in a professional manner, have a clean looking, professional looking website, customer generally do not have a problem with it. I have probably had about three customers who have questioned it and I was still able to assure them that their information is safe with me.

I do not use Quickbooks. I just use Gopher and my merchant accounts virtual terminal to process credit cards. Be sure that you have active antivirus on your computer to keep keyloggers and other viruses off of your computer to protect customer information.
is that merchant you use able to work with our business here in Ks? those are good terms
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Sponsor

Paypal has works well and there is no monthly fee just per transaction as customers grow you might be better of contacting your bank as business customers can use their merchant services but there maybe a monthly service charge.

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
is that merchant you use able to work with our business here in Ks? those are good terms
Yeah. They are the third largest processor in the country. Here is their site.

http://www.leadersmerchantservices.com/

Best thing to do to get info is just to call em. They aren't high pressure.

If you want, ask for Logan and tell him Ryan Tennyson sent you. He was a great rep on the phone with me.

I need to also add, I am getting $0.22 per transaction, not $0.15. My mistake.

Last edited by MowHouston; 02-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradeyouraccounts View Post
Paypal has works well and there is no monthly fee just per transaction as customers grow you might be better of contacting your bank as business customers can use their merchant services but there maybe a monthly service charge.
There is a monthly charge and often a setup charge of $60. Rates are usually higher, however, money often gets deposited into your account within 24 hours on business days.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i will try that out, thanks. ia m thinking of beta testing a small group of clients using paypal for a while first though
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowHouston View Post
There is a monthly charge and often a setup charge of $60. Rates are usually higher, however, money often gets deposited into your account within 24 hours on business days.
Ryan, what is the monthy charge?

Is this set up to let customers call a number and pay over the phone with their card or is it something that you inter their card info every month. I see on here where guys say that customers dont want to give out their cc# to you/us.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

QB and merchant services

We set this up last January and it works very well.

I provide a link on my Quickbook invoices, most credit card clents follow the link to a login page. Using their own password they can view recent invoices and also pay them with a credit card.

Takes a little work to set up initially but Quickbooks and merchant services are very good with their support on these subjects.

I can still manually enter credit cards through Quickbooks if clients call the numbers in to our office.

I don't encourage clients to pay by CC because of the slight added fee, but feel it is a needed option for collecting payment as our company grows.

As a side note I just set up check scanning last month through Quickbooks. $10 per month + $0.23 per check. Checks scanned by 3 PM eastern time are in my bank account the next day. Works really well, very few trips to the bank now and better cash flow.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttinggreens View Post
We set this up last January and it works very well.

I provide a link on my Quickbook invoices, most credit card clents follow the link to a login page. Using their own password they can view recent invoices and also pay them with a credit card.

Takes a little work to set up initially but Quickbooks and merchant services are very good with their support on these subjects.

I can still manually enter credit cards through Quickbooks if clients call the numbers in to our office.

I don't encourage clients to pay by CC because of the slight added fee, but feel it is a needed option for collecting payment as our company grows.

As a side note I just set up check scanning last month through Quickbooks. $10 per month + $0.23 per check. Checks scanned by 3 PM eastern time are in my bank account the next day. Works really well, very few trips to the bank now and better cash flow.
Wow, that's some really good info, thanks...

So let me ask you this and to anyone else as that goes, how many customers or % use this? Did they ask for this, or did you want to have it so people would pay with cc when cash was tight? I wished I knew how many if any would like this.