Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Recomendations for a pump?

Looking to get a pump to go on a horizontal shaft engine. I know hypro makes some good stuff but is there anything else out there that's not over priced. It's not that I want to cheap out but I don't want something that is going to be overkill.

If someone could recomend a ballpark estimate in what to look for as far as PSI an GPM's in a pump that would be great. This will be used in conjunction with 400 gallon tank and 300 feet of hose used only for herbicide applications taking place on ground level.

Links or brands and models of pumps would be great!

Thanks guy's!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll go ahead and ask it, are you licensed to do pesticide apps?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah we are. Just not firmiliar with equipment because we are just now getting into this part of the busisness and getting everything together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's a very broad question..."Rule of thumb", you get what you pay for. Are you going to add fert to the tank? Are you going to spray WP's, DG's or just L's? What kind of agitation would you like/need? These are the type questions you need to be asking yourself and dealers when purchasing a pump. You can spend $100 on a roller pump (which is fine, depending on what you plan to spray) or you can spend $3000 on a Hydracell and know that it pretty much doesn't matter what you plan to spray. GPM's matter more when it comes to spraying lawns than PSI.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we won't be spraying fertilizer much if any at all. We have a lot of commercial properties with gravel parking lots that we will be using soil sterilizers on along with eliminating all of the previously used backpack sprayers and usinng the tank truck for jobs like this along with spot spraying. the main reason for getting certified and getting this equipment in the first place would be because of the big
Parking lot jobs

I know what the purpose of agitation is but did not even know there were different options there.

What would you guys recomend for applications like this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GPM also matters for the purpose you described unless the sprayer has a separate system for agitation. I use a Hypro D30 with a 100 gallon tank. There are two jet agitation nozzles at the bottom of the tank. That is enough to mix DF and wettable powder chemicals, then spray it through a low volume wand or boom.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think the d-30 would be sutable for us? Did you get yours local? What kind of motor do you have it paired up to?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No one does spraying in my state. Pumps, spray wands, tips all have to be ordered from out of state. I had mine shipped in. My D30 + reduction gear box is paired to a Subaru 6 HP engine. The usual is a Honda GX 200.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Lawn Works LLC View Post
Looking to get a pump to go on a horizontal shaft engine. I know hypro makes some good stuff but is there anything else out there that's not over priced. It's not that I want to cheap out but I don't want something that is going to be overkill.

If someone could recomend a ballpark estimate in what to look for as far as PSI an GPM's in a pump that would be great. This will be used in conjunction with 400 gallon tank and 300 feet of hose used only for herbicide applications taking place on ground level.

Links or brands and models of pumps would be great!

Thanks guy's!
http://www.gregsonclark.com/ Call them they are a lot of help 400gal is a lot of water.

Training them early
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Georgia

A cheaper opposition might be a Roller pump. I am planning on using one on my 200 gallon ride on sprayer. Tractor supply has them in stock starting at $ 89.00. True you might have to replace them from time to time depending on use. They are known for higher volume and about 100 PSI max. Also the Cheaper ones are made of steel while for under $ 200.00 you can get a part SS model that has more Chemical resistances.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.