Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

need opinions and info on woods/grasshopper mowers

looking at a few used mowers mainly for like a backup right now. i kinda like the older woods mower's their supposed to be identical to the grasshopper's. i was just wondering what kind of experiences you guys have had with these mowers.

the one i'm looking at is a woods 5200 with a kohler 20hp v-twin it needs a new pto clutch but is in otherwise good shape.

i had my eye on a woods 6215 with the kubota 3cyl but it sold

Gravely Pro 50 W/B
Craftsman Garden Tractor
husqvarna 223L Trimmer
little wonder Blower
6x14 trailer
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are good machines.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Woods mowers werwe built bty Grasshopper until the mid 90's. Approx 1995 or 96 I think.
Since then, they have been made by many different manufacturers. So, after the split with Grasshopper, it takes some serious research to figure out who built any given Woods machine.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes the machine i am looking at is before the split same as a grasshopper just wondering how these mowers do. here's a few questions ive been thinking about

1. do all of the woods/grasshopper front mounts have the pivoting deck so it floats up and down hills

2. how are the kohler engines like the one in the mower im looking at

3. seems silly but haven't seen anything on the headlights how do they work for working at night or loading it up in the dark.

Gravely Pro 50 W/B
Craftsman Garden Tractor
husqvarna 223L Trimmer
little wonder Blower
6x14 trailer
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Those were/are very solid machines. however, keep in mind that the Gemini hydro drive systems used on those machines is not rebuildable, is obsolete, and is VERY expensive to replace. Should something happen to the hydro system, you are looking at about $1200 each side to replace them. This is just for the hydro drive unit, not labor.
Having said that, they can easily run for 3000 hours, if properly serviced.
Answers
1. Yes, all have the pivoting deck
2. Good solid engines, except for the old 16HP Kohler that was a disaster. Grasshopper even began making a kit, to make it fairly easy to convert from the 16HP Kohler turd, to a Briggs and Stratton engine that was very reliable.
3. Headlights work great. Probably the best factory option headlights in the industry when it was made. They work great for nightime mowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarancher4435 View Post
yes the machine i am looking at is before the split same as a grasshopper just wondering how these mowers do. here's a few questions ive been thinking about

1. do all of the woods/grasshopper front mounts have the pivoting deck so it floats up and down hills

2. how are the kohler engines like the one in the mower im looking at

3. seems silly but haven't seen anything on the headlights how do they work for working at night or loading it up in the dark.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Those were/are very solid machines. however, keep in mind that the Gemini hydro drive systems used on those machines is not rebuildable, is obsolete, and is VERY expensive to replace. Should something happen to the hydro system, you are looking at about $1200 each side to replace them. This is just for the hydro drive unit, not labor.
Having said that, they can easily run for 3000 hours, if properly serviced.
Answers
1. Yes, all have the pivoting deck
2. Good solid engines, except for the old 16HP Kohler that was a disaster. Grasshopper even began making a kit, to make it fairly easy to convert from the 16HP Kohler turd, to a Briggs and Stratton engine that was very reliable.
3. Headlights work great. Probably the best factory option headlights in the industry when it was made. They work great for nightime mowing.
thank you very much for the info you seem very knowledgeable on these mowers.

i'm hoping to pick the woods 5200 up this week for dirt cheap i'm going to get it early and give it a good going over before it's time to mow.

Gravely Pro 50 W/B
Craftsman Garden Tractor
husqvarna 223L Trimmer
little wonder Blower
6x14 trailer
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good deal. You can really take your time and check it out, and, service where necessary.
I think you will like it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Woods 6215 that is a 2000 model. When did they stop using the Gemini transmissions? I got to mow with this mower a couple of months last year and I cannot wait to mow some grass.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozarLawnCare View Post
I have a Woods 6215 that is a 2000 model. When did they stop using the Gemini transmissions? I got to mow with this mower a couple of months last year and I cannot wait to mow some grass.
man your making me jealous there was a 6215 for $700 on my local craigslist the other day. i emailed the guy but within hours it was sold i was kinda mad about that deal.

Gravely Pro 50 W/B
Craftsman Garden Tractor
husqvarna 223L Trimmer
little wonder Blower
6x14 trailer
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I do not know when Woods stopped using the Gemini transmissions. I assume you know what the Gemini trans. is/ looks like???
Grasshopper worked with Eaton, who built the Gemini trans., to make improvements over the years. Grasshopper used the Gemini in various versions, until just a year or two ago. The newer versions of the Gemini were beefier and longer lasting that the older versions. However, none of the Gemini Trans. were really rebuildable, except by the Grasshopper factory, or by an Eaton repair shop. Even then, you could not get a warranty on a rebuilt unit.
The "T" series of transmissions that Grasshopper designed, replaced the last of the Gemini transmissions.
Again, I am not familiar with how long Woods stayed with the Gemini.