Register free!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Winter Stone Work in North Texas

I need some advice on this project. Please take a look at these pictures and tell me if you would just dig up and relevel this? Or would you use some retaining wall stones because of the loose soil issue? What type? HOA is making them fix it lol
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is a loose soil issue LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a property where money may not be real abundant.

And the block used is not really suitable for that.

First I would propose to remove the existing block and haul away from the premises. I would then bring in some top soil and I would backfill the bed and I would taper the bed down to the lawn, with a hand dug edge defining the turf from the bed.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
What is a loose soil issue LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
I just mean the non compacted soil that we have in Dallas requires a slab for pavers. lol I think I should go the extra mile to prepare this base for whatever we do.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Looks like a property where money may not be real abundant.

And the block used is not really suitable for that.

First I would propose to remove the existing block and haul away from the premises. I would then bring in some top soil and I would backfill the bed and I would taper the bed down to the lawn, with a hand dug edge defining the turf from the bed.
It is a $380k house, I think the landscaping has been neglected lol. They asked for me to tear down and rebuild that edging. I took a look and it has no base. No backfill either.

The yard stretches about 50 feet. I told them $600 to rebuild it properly. They have about 2000 sqft of Sod they want done so I came in around $2600 completed. Not a bad February job?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How long will it take you LOL
what are your expenses LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclawnguy View Post
I need some advice on this project. Please take a look at these pictures and tell me if you would just dig up and relevel this? Or would you use some retaining wall stones because of the loose soil issue? What type? HOA is making them fix it lol
I think transplanting those bushes further from the house could help. A common mistake non-pros do is plant too close. Looked right when little but doesn't years down the road.

As for the stone, that looks like those super small "garden wall" crap... The sort where the wall units top in at 5lbs? Not a lot of weight to them to function well as a wall. For better appearances(IMO) it may be possible to pull them ALL up and make the circle part of the wall of a larger diameter. I wouldn't use those blocks as edging (looks bad IMO). Have a short wall of a circle shape that flows into the ground where the yard is more level. Then use a spade cut single curved edge or go metal/vinyl edging between wall and sidewalk. Small light weight wall block will benefit from angular rock behind it. 2' height would be stretching it IMO. Block may not be formed perfect enough to achieve that height anyways and even if it was there is not enough mass(pf) to hold dirt well. Maybe little lifts of gravel and geo would do the trick. The bed would be enlarged throughout too.

Perhaps you should come up with a totally new landscape design and pitch it to em. Complete tear out and re do. Reuse some of their plants(Some of those plants might be too distorted to reuse.), and... gasp... if need be reuse those wall units.
Tear outs and re-landscape has become our bread and butter here since the economy went down (changed really, not down). This house could use my touch.

But maybe some of my suggestions are out of their budget or expected expense. Heck, maybe outside of your comfort zone. Either way, have fun and good luck!

One last thing to look into is why did the block warp like that? Is it ground? Did the original installers place it on fluffy imported soil? Or is there a critter digging around there? Excessive water flow/pressure? Poorly compacted backfill that took on a lot of water weight and did that? It seems almost comically distorted.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
lol
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I can rebuild that wall with two people in a day. Im thinking 3 days on the sod because of my small ass trailer and all the running I will have to do with equipment.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4rm3rj03 View Post
I think transplanting those bushes further from the house could help. A common mistake non-pros do is plant too close. Looked right when little but doesn't years down the road.

As for the stone, that looks like those super small "garden wall" crap... The sort where the wall units top in at 5lbs? Not a lot of weight to them to function well as a wall. For better appearances(IMO) it may be possible to pull them ALL up and make the circle part of the wall of a larger diameter. I wouldn't use those blocks as edging (looks bad IMO). Have a short wall of a circle shape that flows into the ground where the yard is more level. Then use a spade cut single curved edge or go metal/vinyl edging between wall and sidewalk. Small light weight wall block will benefit from angular rock behind it. 2' height would be stretching it IMO. Block may not be formed perfect enough to achieve that height anyways and even if it was there is not enough mass(pf) to hold dirt well. Maybe little lifts of gravel and geo would do the trick. The bed would be enlarged throughout too.

Perhaps you should come up with a totally new landscape design and pitch it to em. Complete tear out and re do. Reuse some of their plants(Some of those plants might be too distorted to reuse.), and... gasp... if need be reuse those wall units.
Tear outs and re-landscape has become our bread and butter here since the economy went down (changed really, not down). This house could use my touch.

But maybe some of my suggestions are out of their budget or expected expense. Heck, maybe outside of your comfort zone. Either way, have fun and good luck!

One last thing to look into is why did the block warp like that? Is it ground? Did the original installers place it on fluffy imported soil? Or is there a critter digging around there? Excessive water flow/pressure? Poorly compacted backfill that took on a lot of water weight and did that? It seems almost comically distorted.
I tried very hard to sell them on new stone. I absolutely cannot believe they are going to drop $2600 on their yard and not redo the stone. Might as well install a sprinkler system.. sigh..

They have no base whatsoever.. That is why the wall is having the issue. There was no attempt at leveling it at all. Some of it is black from who knows what. I have to power wash them to redo it. I am going to use some titebond to ensure it stays together.