Register free!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clause for stopping work

I can't stress this enough.

Do you have a clause in your contract that addresses stopping work for reasons inflicted by others?

I got a call last week from our client saying that we could not work there for two days. Not because of anything on our end. Not really because of anything on our client's end. But because of a logistic with the building architect regarding the addition for the house.

Not the end of the world, but all our equipment and tools were onsite. We do 4-day work weeks, so it fouled up the schedule. And fouls up the schedule for the clients next in line.

If you don't have a clause that addresses missed work days due to no fault of the contractor (you), or mother nature (snow, rain, mud) - then you should think about getting one.

The clause should stated something along the lines that you get paid xxxx dollars per day

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your a smart man DVS, I need a clause in my contract about hydro seed work. Do you have any ideas on that? I don't get rich doing it the first time so when it rains 1.5 weeks later and blows it out with ruts coming back with a harley take and new seed is just loosing money. Some companies warranty it until germination but I feel like that is just asking for problems.
Do I just raise rates planning to fix some?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Your a smart man DVS, I need a clause in my contract about hydro seed work. Do you have any ideas on that? I don't get rich doing it the first time so when it rains 1.5 weeks later and blows it out with ruts coming back with a harley take and new seed is just loosing money. Some companies warranty it until germination but I feel like that is just asking for problems.
Do I just raise rates planning to fix some?
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question, as I don't know the answer!

Personally, I view seed as being at the mercy of mother nature. Why should a contractor be responsible for heavy rains washing the soil out? Why would other contractor's offer a warranty until germination?

Or - ok, play the game - how bout warranty until germination.......as long as the soil doesn't wash out?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.