Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVA_Concrete View Post
1. I assumed the steps at 7 inches, in that case no GUARD is required, a handrail IS required however -- because of the 4 rise qualifier. This is based on the 2006 IRC code.

2. do you care to share how flashing is properly installed, once again i am going off the photo that shows no drainage flashing that i can see.

I won't "share" as it's not my thread. (spoken confidently) -ALL IS WELL

I was jus showing installing mega steps without safety devices is not a complete, professional job. 3 steps - sure I could let that slide. But 4 or 5......

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 03-16-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

when i built my house the code was a 4'' gap wasnt allowable, is it different outside, just a question
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgserv View Post
when i built my house the code was a 4'' gap wasnt allowable, is it different outside, just a question
No. Babies' heads are the same size inside and outside. Seriously though, any deck or other railing detail I submit to the county has the same info, "spacing shall not allow the passage of a 4" diameter sphere."
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
No. Babies' heads are the same size inside and outside. Seriously though, any deck or other railing detail I submit to the county has the same info, "spacing shall not allow the passage of a 4" diameter sphere."
there is an exception of no more than 6" sphere for the triangular area formed by the riser tread and railing system.

all of my comments have been based on the IRC 2006 code.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since were on the subject of granite stairs. How about these steps! This is one of the most difficult jobs we have ever done. I was only 13 when I worked on this job so unfortunately I only have these pictures and they are not the greatest. And yes that is what 40 granite steps look like all in a row. Also there are 12 steps that go from the main stair case, up under the deck (under the circular in closed area). You can barely see the steps in the 4th picture.

This is a house on a lake (pictures are taken from the top of the boat house) and their house is on the side of a very steep hill as you can see. The middle 2 pictures give you an idea of the slope we were working with. The home owner had wooden stairs in the exact same place but they were severely rotted. So they wanted something that they knew would never deteriorate and required very little maintenance.

What we did was I was in our bobcat 331 excavator on the corner of the top of the wall and I would boom down the granite steps in to place with a log chain. I would also lower any stone and tools the guys needed down to them. All the excavation for the steps and placement of the steps had to be done by hand until we got up high enough to where the 331 could reach. If my memory serves me correctly this job took about a week. Also all the walls you see we did few years before.

As I have said before we donít install railings because we donít have the tools to make custom railings (if needed) or the tools to drill into granite. The homeowner did have a railing installed on one side of the stairs, I just donít have a picture of it.
Attached Images

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice, reminds me of a job where we did 77 steps from a boat dock to his garage. We used lumber and brick combo though.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That guy in the pic needs to run up and down those steps 10 times without stopping.....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS, I've decided I don't want to meet you after all, since you'll probably hand me a bottle of Hydroxycut and tell me to come back after running a couple laps around the neighborhood
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

after 17 pages of pics of what we all do everyday, what else is there to say?! I did get a good laugh out of Zedo's picture of the baby biting it's lip!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

The corners on that tall wall would drive me up a wall if I had that in my back yard at my $2 million house.

Now that I look at it again, the corner at the "front" of the wall would drive me nuts but the corner at the "side" looks a lot better.